U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 11:31 AM
npz

197 posts, read 236,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I spend the money for steak, I do not expect to need to tenderize it. You learn where to buy it and what to expect. I will say that I bought some top sirloin from Publix, usually reliable, and was disappointed at the result. I wonít make that mistake again.

We have a Food Lion here, which has Managers Specials. I watch for them, and their meat is always good. I also like Samís Club meat...it hasnít ever disappointed me.

Publix has been disappointing more and more in the last year. We used to get good strip steaks there all the time. Now, more often than not they are just tough and tasteless!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 04:36 PM

5,632 posts, read 6,626,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Just curious - if you are using a heavy BBQ sauce on steak, can you really taste a difference, based on grilled or not?
Yes, it's in the quality/degree/type of 'char'. While searing in a pan does produce the Maillard reaction which is important for flavor, an open flame can produce an additional charring with a different flavor...which I prefer. It may not be important to some people, and other people might actually dislike it, but my personal preference is to have it. Ideally, I prefer to have it on real wood, which imparts an additional 'smoky' flavor, but convenience often means doing it with gas...I haven't quite perfected my wood/charcoal grilling...but straight smoking with my off-set smoker has been turning out quite well.

I don't put the sauce on thickly for beef steaks, and the Stubb's sauce is considerably thinner than the SBR.

---------------------------------------------------

I have two 1+lb NY Strips that I took out of the freezer Thursday, they have been marinating for 24 hours (they hadn't quite thawed by last night) and they will be going on the fire shortly...taste test will be reported whenever I wake up from my meat-induced stupor...

Old 03-04-2019, 02:27 PM

5,632 posts, read 6,626,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I have two 1+lb NY Strips that I took out of the freezer Thursday, they have been marinating for 24 hours (they hadn't quite thawed by last night) and they will be going on the fire shortly...taste test will be reported whenever I wake up from my meat-induced stupor...
This experiment was a failure. If you appreciate *good* steak, *don't* freeze it. However good I may have thought the deal was at the time, it turned out to be a waste of money.

These Strips did not cook/char as expected, and they were nowhere near as tender as they should have been. When I first bought these, I cooked two of them before freezing the rest. The first two were excellent, these, not so much. They were edible but they might as well have been a much cheaper cut.

I'll go back to buying my steaks the day I want to cook them. I don't know how Omaha Steaks does it, they are frozen but they turn out excellently. Just chucking them into an ordinary freezer clearly doesn't work nearly as well.

C'est la vie, I guess I'll just cut the others up for stew.

I can see now why the OP was disappointed.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:35 PM
npz

197 posts, read 236,854 times
Quote:
This experiment was a failure. If you appreciate *good* steak, *don't* freeze it. However good I may have thought the deal was at the time, it turned out to be a waste of money.

These Strips did not cook/char as expected, and they were nowhere near as tender as they should have been. When I first bought these, I cooked two of them before freezing the rest. The first two were excellent, these, not so much. They were edible but they might as well have been a much cheaper cut.

I'll go back to buying my steaks the day I want to cook them. I don't know how Omaha Steaks does it, they are frozen but they turn out excellently. Just chucking them into an ordinary freezer clearly doesn't work nearly as well.

Thanks for the update!! Your disappointment helps the rest of us....

Old 03-04-2019, 03:16 PM

3,283 posts, read 2,191,640 times
Quote:

The freezer should not matter. 0F or -10F is the same in any freezer.

If anything it's the packaging, vacuum sealing is best.

Of course, the quality would matter, frozen or not.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:21 PM

3,514 posts, read 1,274,633 times
Put the steak in a plastic bag in the driveway and drive your car over it a few times.

A 2-insh thick t-bone is basically a roast, so cup up some potatoes, onions and carrots and make a nice covered pot roast.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:59 PM

1,771 posts, read 2,119,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Okay, first I did Google it, but all I could find were articles about tenderizing cheap and thinner cuts of steak. I am talking about 2" thick T-bones.

First, we are usually happy with the steaks we get, but they were on sale, so my husband picked up SIX big ones. When we get big steaks on sale like that, we always split one between us and freeze the remainder, and we have never had any problems. Well, last night we took the first one out, and it was SO tough that neither of us even finished our share -- chuck steak would have been better! So, now, as we do not want to use the T-bones for something like stew, do any of you have any suggestions as to what we should do?

Thanks in advance!
Sous vide.

Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM

2,939 posts, read 1,507,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Sous vide.
I was going to say the same thing. The sous vide method is perfect for this. Once it has reached the desired ďdonenessĒ you simply sear it on a hot grill or pan.

Iíve turned tough cuts of meat into melt in your mouth deliciousness by doing this. You have to allow 24-36 hours in the bath. Kind of a ďset it and forget itĒ thing. But worth it.

Iíve always been against freezing meat but Iíve successfully popped frozen steak into the sous vide bath without any difference.

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

17,867 posts, read 22,927,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I was going to say the same thing. The sous vide method is perfect for this. Once it has reached the desired ďdonenessĒ you simply sear it on a hot grill or pan.

Iíve turned tough cuts of meat into melt in your mouth deliciousness by doing this. You have to allow 24-36 hours in the bath. Kind of a ďset it and forget itĒ thing. But worth it.

Iíve always been against freezing meat but Iíve successfully popped frozen steak into the sous vide bath without any difference.
I saw a youtube video of someone putting a vac sealed steak in the dishwasher and he called it sous vide easy method

Old Today, 04:53 AM

2,939 posts, read 1,507,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I saw a youtube video of someone putting a vac sealed steak in the dishwasher and he called it sous vide easy method

I don't think that would work. Tenderizing takes too long for starters. If you are doing a high quality steak, perhaps, because you can sous vide that pretty quickly.

For tough cuts of meat I've sous vide for about 24-36 hours. It has to stay at a continuous temp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink