U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 01:44 PM

21,675 posts, read 27,234,178 times

Advertisements

To peel an orange a bit easier, cut off both ends, just through the rind. Then score the peel into quarters, just cut deep enough to go through the peel and not into the fruit.

Those quarter peels are easier to get off in one piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 01:44 PM

20,078 posts, read 10,941,966 times
As mentioned, navel oranges are not great for juice. You should be able to find Valencia or other oranges that are labeled as "juice oranges." They will be rounder with a much thinner rind. You can cut into quarters, and then peel the insides out of the rind to put through the juicer. You don't need to have perfectly peeled oranges to section and eat for juicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For orange juice? If you've got a lot of oranges to juice, you can buy an electric citrus juicer for about $15. A hand powered one, is about $3.

All you have to do is cut the orange in half and press the cut side against the juicer. The electric one does all the work. If you have the $3 hand powered one, you will have to twist the rind a couple of times.

It sounds to me like you are using the wrong tool.

I've got an Oster electric citrus juicer and just yesterday, I juiced 10 pounds of lemons. I put the lemon juice into ice trays and freeze 2 tablespoon cubes to store. The citrus juicer gets every drop of juice.
OP has a juicer, it's just not the kind that uses 1/2 of the fruit with the rind on.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:42 PM

20,523 posts, read 13,472,590 times
I like using a serrated knife and peeling off the peel in quarters. But I would never do that many oranges by hand.

I have a juicer attachment for my food processor. If I needed a lot of citrus juice, Iíd use that. It does not involve peeling the fruit.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:52 PM

11,967 posts, read 7,116,005 times
Is this the attachment you use?

https://www.kitchenaid.com/counterto...FUyiZQodieIBaQ

I always thought you could juice without peeling. I did see one review where the person said they zest their lemons before juicing them. If you have a zester, you could see if that is easier. Then maybe just use a paring knife to cut off some of the extra rind/pulp if you don't want it all going into the juicer.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:19 PM

35,218 posts, read 53,806,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ahhh... you do have that little thing to squeeze juice out of lemon, right? Little ribbed dome? So you take a knife... cut orange in a half...place half onto that dome ... and...
How time taking is that?

Matter of fact, you can simply hand squeeze orange... unless you buy them where I buy them, then they are 2 adult man fists together size.
Seriously this ^^^ is the fastest and fuss-free method for me too. The little hand squeezer is very effective in my opinion.

BTW: if you press and roll firmly the oranges on the counter before juicing, you make them "juicier". It makes them easy to peel too - if you decide to peel instead of cutting in half.
You can also microwave them for a few seconds before juicing...
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:07 PM

20,523 posts, read 13,472,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Is this the attachment you use?

https://www.kitchenaid.com/counterto...FUyiZQodieIBaQ

I always thought you could juice without peeling. I did see one review where the person said they zest their lemons before juicing them. If you have a zester, you could see if that is easier. Then maybe just use a paring knife to cut off some of the extra rind/pulp if you don't want it all going into the juicer.
I canít get the pic to display on my IPad.

But I think this what I have. It is called a citrus reamer.

https://www.kitchenaid.com/counterto...r.kfp13cr.html

I canít get this to fully display either. So if you have to, try googling kitchen aid food processor citrus reamer
to get the pic to display. Iíve only used mine a few times, but it made short work of juicing citrus.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:18 PM

3,473 posts, read 1,266,450 times
Lot of variation in orange peel. Some have skin that easily comes off in one piece. Other ones, the juicy kind, you have to get your thumgnail under there, and the peel comes off in little pieces.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:18 PM

4,386 posts, read 3,737,396 times
Peeling can take forever. I just cut orange in half & use a lemon squeezer, stainless steel, Norpro, about $25.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:29 PM

11,967 posts, read 7,116,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I canít get the pic to display on my IPad.

But I think this what I have. It is called a citrus reamer.

https://www.kitchenaid.com/counterto...r.kfp13cr.html

I canít get this to fully display either. So if you have to, try googling kitchen aid food processor citrus reamer
to get the pic to display. Iíve only used mine a few times, but it made short work of juicing citrus.
Since the OP is saying they have to completely peel their oranges, I don't think they have a reamer. Although I do think the type you have is easier for juicing oranges. The other type of juicer is much better for fruits and vegetables that can't be easily squeezed to extract the juices but is too much work for fruits like oranges, lemons, and limes.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:33 AM

20,078 posts, read 10,941,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Seriously this ^^^ is the fastest and fuss-free method for me too. The little hand squeezer is very effective in my opinion.

BTW: if you press and roll firmly the oranges on the counter before juicing, you make them "juicier". It makes them easy to peel too - if you decide to peel instead of cutting in half.
You can also microwave them for a few seconds before juicing...
that's fine if you are squeezing a lemon for a recipe or maybe even a glass of orange juice.

But 10 pounds of oranges all at once? Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink