U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 05:07 PM

1,172 posts, read 477,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I had no idea Durgin Park had closed. I've been there a few times on family trips to Boston. The food wasn't as memorable as the surroundings, but I thought it would always be there.

Peter Luger's in Brooklyn, and The Old '76 House in Tappan NY are certainly historic restaurants, they also have excellent food.
Been to Peter Luger’s, and for whatever reason I didn’t have an especially good steak there — it was a strip steak that had lots of gristle pockets that made it hard to chew. Flavor wasn’t bad, at least. Strangely enough, the best thing I had was a side salad (nice mixed greens, too) which was minimally dressed, so I used the horseradish tinged steak sauce provided as dressing — and believe it or not, it was really good. Go figure.

Rolls were fine.

Lots of people love the place, though. Maybe just had a bad luck of the draw that day.

Last edited by bachslunch; 03-03-2019 at 05:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 09:37 PM

3,282 posts, read 1,340,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Been to Peter Lugerís, and for whatever reason I didnít have an especially good steak there ó it was a strip steak that had lots of gristle pockets that made it hard to chew. Flavor wasnít bad, at least. Strangely enough, the best thing I had was a side salad (nice mixed greens, too) which was minimally dressed, so I used the horseradish tinged steak sauce provided as dressing ó and believe it or not, it was really good. Go figure.

Rolls were fine.

Lots of people love the place, though. Maybe just had a bad luck of the draw that day.
I love the rolls from Peter Luger's, the only thing I've ever had. I never went, but a neighbor brought me the rolls and they're wonderful. (I think most strip steaks are just the way you describe.)

I ate at Tavern on the Green and it was the most garish place I'd ever seen in my life. Also, it was near the horse stables in Central Park and it was high summer and the smell didn't help. The food, being outdoor barbecue, was fine, a good burger. But they took us on a tour where we saw paintings that we were told were "signed copies of the original." I'm still trying to figure out how to respond to that.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:05 AM

13,006 posts, read 6,219,411 times
So sad to see that Durgin Park closed. When we took our daughter there, she became the 4th generation in our family to eat there. We had hoped to bring our grandsons there. They would have been the 5th generation...

Old 03-04-2019, 02:04 AM

14,656 posts, read 10,759,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Went to Musso and Frankís in LA a few years ago. Food was basic, old fashioned in style but not bad; itís considered an example of a classic turn-of-the-last-century New York steakhouse style bar and restaurant. Opened in 1919, and probably the oldest continually operating restaurant in the city.

There were two extremely old eateries in Boston, both of which Iíve been to. The Union Oyster House opened in 1826, and itís unfortunately lousy. The good place of this type, Durgin-Park, which opened in 1827, sadly just closed about a month ago or so; food was actually very good there. These were the last bastions of classic New England style comfort food (yankee pot roast, prime rib, baked scrod, slow-baked beans in the crock, Indian pudding with ice cream, coffee jello) left from the old days. Too bad the good one closed.

Have also been to Antoineís in New Orleans, which opened in 1840 and is probably NOLAís oldest eatery. Food was just okay, wasnít especially impressed. Best part was trout almondine, which was fresh and basic. Their signature oysters Rockefeller was meh.

But Iím not interested in going to an old restaurant just for the history. I go for the food, if I go.
My dad was about to turn 90 and requested that we take him to Musso & Frank's for his birthday. He loved his gin martinis. Supposedly Musso's is famous for theirs, so I think that might have been his inspiration for going. Sadly, he died before his next birthday. But since then, I've vowed to go in his honor. But, in this case, I DO want to go for the history and not necessarily for the food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
This question brings me back a few (!!!) years. For my 16th birthday, my Dad took me to New York for 4 days of Broadway plays (42nd Street, Annie, and Woman of the Year when Lauren Bacall was still in it), shopping (omg, my poor Dad), and restaurants. We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria. We ate at a few great places but the one that I was most excited about was Sardi's, which I enjoyed that much more because we went after seeing Woman of the Year... and so did Lauren Bacall. She was a few tables over from us and I was starstruck.
What a great story!

Old 03-04-2019, 02:11 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,326,254 times
In Los Angeles, I've dined at Musso & Frank's, Cole's PE (before the remodel), and Phillippe's. The latter two claim to have invented the French Dip sandwich.

In San Francisco, I've dined at the Tadish Grill, which claims to be the oldest restaurant in California. Their seafood is to die for.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:01 AM

11,584 posts, read 3,963,981 times
Couple of videos including 'The Mayflower' in London.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-04-2019 at 03:15 AM..

Old 03-04-2019, 05:39 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,551,069 times
What a fun thread and it brings back memories. I really have never thought about how old some of these places are: Now, I can remember a few we have visited:

White Horse Taveran in Newport RI: established in 1673: oldest taveran in the country. Fun experience but as you would expect a little pricey and just basic pub type food.

Phillipi's in L.A. creator of the French dip sandwich. Have eaten there many times as I grew up only about 10 miles away, if that far.

Ebbits Grill in DC: many times

Most of the famous sea food restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf.

And my favorite but it has been gone for ages was: Housner's in Baltimore. Too bad the family didn't want to continue it. I think it had food that could stand up to almost any but certainly not gourmet. I think it has been for years, like maybe 20.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:50 AM

5,910 posts, read 6,707,131 times
Fraunces Tavern

Old 03-04-2019, 07:01 AM

39,307 posts, read 2,966,634 times
National Hotel and Restaurant

We ate there a few times, the food was just mediocre, but I think they have new owners now. This is California, so old here is not quite the same as old, in London or even NY.

I also dined at the Tadish grill, San Francisco, but I was not really impressed, it was good, but not great.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:13 AM

8,295 posts, read 6,147,869 times
I've been to Antoine's, in New Orleans. That was good! I would love to go to Commander's Palace if I go back.

In Chicago I enjoy the Berghoff from time to time. Good, Solid German Food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or