U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:30 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
In Los Angeles, I've dined at Musso & Frank's, Cole's PE (before the remodel), and Phillippe's. The latter two claim to have invented the French Dip sandwich.
Also happy to say I got to Cole’s and Philippe’s. Quite different in ambience — the former has a pub type atmosphere, the latter offers counter service (like Katz’s in NYC or The Varsity in Atlanta) then seats surrounded by sawdust covered floors. Both sandwiches were really good — French roll and already wetted down with au jus at Philippe’s, brioche and do-it-yourself dipping at Cole’s. Both delicious, and I don’t care who actually invented the sandwich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
My dad was about to turn 90 and requested that we take him to Musso & Frank's for his birthday. He loved his gin martinis. Supposedly Musso's is famous for theirs, so I think that might have been his inspiration for going. Sadly, he died before his next birthday. But since then, I've vowed to go in his honor. But, in this case, I DO want to go for the history and not necessarily for the food.
Musso and Frank’s is especially noted for making a great martini. Can’t drink them, myself. But that’s okay, you can have mine.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've been to Antoine's, in New Orleans. That was good! I would love to go to Commander's Palace if I go back.

In Chicago I enjoy the Berghoff from time to time. Good, Solid German Food.
Agreed about the Berghoff. Ate there for lunch on a Chicago visit, had sauerbraten which was delicious. Not much available for this cuisine where I live, so that was most welcome.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:15 PM

3,539 posts, read 2,381,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I've been to Antoine's, in New Orleans. That was good! I would love to go to Commander's Palace if I go back.

In Chicago I enjoy the Berghoff from time to time. Good, Solid German Food.
IMO, Commander's Palace is overrated and over-priced. I was there in November.

They are too full of themselves and the food is OK. I've had better in New Orleans.

You're better off at Dicky Brennan's Steak House, same owner and it is great.

Adolfo's was a place that was recommended to us by locals, couldn't be happier. The food is fantastic.

There is no shortage of great restaurants in NOLA.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
IMO, Commander's Palace is overrated and over-priced. I was there in November.

They are too full of themselves and the food is OK. I've had better in New Orleans.

You're better off at Dicky Brennan's Steak House, same owner and it is great.

Adolfo's was a place that was recommended to us by locals, couldn't be happier. The food is fantastic.

There is no shortage of great restaurants in NOLA.
Have been to several NOLA eateries courtesy of a trip taken a few years ago. Agreed, truly great food destination, one of the best in the US.

Funny thing — I too had a mixed experience at CP, though mostly involving the service, which was lackluster, less than competent, and borderline unfriendly. Great turtle soup, bread pudding soufflé, and bananas foster sorbet, odd main course of duck in a hot pepper sauce. When it was good, it was really good, though.

Have mentioned going to Antoine’s. Also got to Galatoire’s, Arnaud’s, K-Paul’s, Mr. B’s, Brennan’s, Irene’s, Mandina’s, Acme Oyster, Felix’s, Lil’ Dizzy’s, Central Grocery, Napoleon House, Johnny’s Po Boys, Liuzza’s by the Track, Cafe du Monde, Angelo Brocato’s, Coop’s Place, and French Market Restaurant and Bar, all excellent spots. Also hit a few lackluster but well known places like Mother’s. Here’s a link to my detailed trip report over at Fodors:

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...rience-825273/

Old 03-04-2019, 05:05 PM

37,091 posts, read 45,594,679 times
When I was a girl, my parents took us out to dine on special occasions, like Easter or our birthdays. We were all dressed up. There was a restaurant called Franklin Manor in Massachusetts that we went to. They had finger bowls. This was in the 1950s. I think the original place is long gone, but there is a new restaurant in its place.
Otherwise, my parents went to Ken’s in Boston. It’s the salad dressing Ken’s so I guess they’re still going.
Wayside Inn was there, and I think it is still there.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:20 PM

6,950 posts, read 3,857,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
My dad was about to turn 90 and requested that we take him to Musso & Frank's for his birthday. He loved his gin martinis. Supposedly Musso's is famous for theirs, so I think that might have been his inspiration for going. Sadly, he died before his next birthday. But since then, I've vowed to go in his honor. But, in this case, I DO want to go for the history and not necessarily for the food.

What a great story!
A "gin martini" is properly called a..."martini!" If it is made with vodka it is an imposter.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:38 PM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
OP, I recognize Savoy restaurant. We did eat there once.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:49 PM

56,004 posts, read 54,508,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
This question brings me back a few (!!!) years. For my 16th birthday, my Dad took me to New York for 4 days of Broadway plays (42nd Street, Annie, and Woman of the Year when Lauren Bacall was still in it), shopping (omg, my poor Dad), and restaurants. We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria. We ate at a few great places but the one that I was most excited about was Sardi's, which I enjoyed that much more because we went after seeing Woman of the Year... and so did Lauren Bacall. She was a few tables over from us and I was starstruck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
What a thrilling sixteenth birthday party! I just looked at all the food pictures on the Sardi's site. Wow!

Oh, uh, and Lauren Bacall, too.
No restaurant involved, although I was on my way to one for the office Christmas party. I'd left a bit later than most of the staff to finish something up. This was back in the late 80s, early 90s, at the old World Trade Center. Another late coworker and I took the elevators down to the lobby and then the escalator up to the mezzanine, and we noticed a small crowd and a podium and figured it was set up for something, so we stuck around to see what.

The World Trade Center hosted a series of holiday artistic events, and this one was Lauren Bacall doing a reading of Truman Capote's short story, A Christmas Memory. We saw Lauren Bacall walking up in her beautiful tweed jacket and wool slacks, and we stayed. She read the story in that distinctive voice, and we walked into our holiday party a few blocks away more than half an hour late with tears in our eyes.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:05 PM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Do you enjoy visiting a restaurant or hotel just for the history.

In terms of London, here is ten of the most historic where everyone from Samuel Pepys to Charles Dickens and H.G Wells through to Hollywood Stars and World leaders have eaten.

What is great about the London restaurants is that they post the full menus - ALL of the menus - WITH PRICES. It makes planning for a trip much more pleasurable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or