U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:13 PM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A "gin martini" is properly called a..."martini!" If it is made with vodka it is an imposter.
These days, martini imposters are much more egregious than vodka ones. Exhibit A is the chocolate martini — vodka, chocolate liqueur, creme de cacao, half-and-half, and ice, shaken and strained into a martini glass that has chocolate syrup swirled inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 01:57 AM

6,954 posts, read 3,860,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
These days, martini imposters are much more egregious than vodka ones. Exhibit A is the chocolate martini — vodka, chocolate liqueur, creme de cacao, half-and-half, and ice, shaken and strained into a martini glass that has chocolate syrup swirled inside.
That's not even a cocktail, it's a tourist trap in a glass.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When I was a girl, my parents took us out to dine on special occasions, like Easter or our birthdays. We were all dressed up. There was a restaurant called Franklin Manor in Massachusetts that we went to. They had finger bowls. This was in the 1950s. I think the original place is long gone, but there is a new restaurant in its place.
Otherwise, my parents went to Ken’s in Boston. It’s the salad dressing Ken’s so I guess they’re still going.
Wayside Inn was there, and I think it is still there.
Yes, both Ken’s Steakhouse (Framingham) and the Wayside Inn (Sudbury) are still open for business, best I can tell. Haven’t eaten at either in years. Can’t say I liked the food much at these places, though.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
That's not even a cocktail, it's a tourist trap in a glass.
Agreed (wish I could rep you again)! Booze for people who don’t like the taste of it. Guess some places think it’s all about the glass when defining a martini nowadays.

Makes James Bond’s “shaken not stirred” martini request seem downright orthodox.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:55 AM

13,879 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Quote:
A "gin martini" is properly called a..."martini!" If it is made with vodka it is an imposter.
Meh. In the 1950s James Bond books, he orders vodka martinis more than half the time. The wiki for “shaken, not stirred” counts 19 vodka martinis and 16 gin martinis in Fleming’s books. I’ll trust that. A vodka martini has been a thing for 60+ years. I don’t see how anyone can pronounce a gin martini as the one true martini.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:11 AM

6,954 posts, read 3,860,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Meh. In the 1950s James Bond books, he orders vodka martinis more than half the time. The wiki for “shaken, not stirred” counts 19 vodka martinis and 16 gin martinis in Fleming’s books. I’ll trust that. A vodka martini has been a thing for 60+ years. I don’t see how anyone can pronounce a gin martini as the one true martini.
James Bond is a fictional character. Ian Fleming was a novelist, not a mixologist. He certainly is no authority on the history of classic cocktails. There are plenty of sources out there about creating proper drinks for those who care do learn how to do things properly; simply putting liquids into a martini glass does not create a martini. A recent book about the subject is by Sother Teague called "I'm Just Here for the Drinks."

Old 03-05-2019, 06:39 AM

13,879 posts, read 7,391,112 times
Quote:
James Bond is a fictional character. Ian Fleming was a novelist, not a mixologist. He certainly is no authority on the history of classic cocktails. There are plenty of sources out there about creating proper drinks for those who care do learn how to do things properly; simply putting liquids into a martini glass does not create a martini. A recent book about the subject is by Sother Teague called "I'm Just Here for the Drinks."
My point is that the vodka martini has been around in popular culture since the 1950s. Martini in 2019 refers to the stemware, not the contents.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:04 AM

11,673 posts, read 6,277,227 times
There's something about historic places (especially old, historic places) that I love visiting. Its like taking a walk back in time. As for historic restaurants, though, I won't be making a second trip if the food isn't very good, no matter how historic the place is

For instance, I visited and ate at the Eagle and Child in Oxford during my 2015 UK trip: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_and_Child

While an interesting experience that I'm grateful for, the food was not very good at all, and I'd never go back if for that reason alone.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:17 AM

13,677 posts, read 13,583,473 times
I grew up in central Jersey, not far from the PA border. I regularly ate in restaurants housed in structures that were a few hundred years old, dating to before the Revolutionary War. My favorite bar was over 150 years old. I love the atmosphere that comes with that. I'm in Colorado now, where if a building is 50 years old, it's often considered a historic structure. One of the few things I miss about Jersey.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:20 AM

1,461 posts, read 634,002 times
[quote=Brave New World;54588089]Couple of videos including 'The Mayflower' in London.

[youtube]FW8KViAeQr0[/youtube

I live some 150 metres from The Mayflower, in Rotherhithe, London.
If not for St. Mary’s Church being in the way, I could look from my back yard window, straight into the bar.
The captain of The Mayflower ship, Christopher Jones, was a local man, and was buried in St. Mary’s Churchyard in 1622, but after the flood in 1705, in 1714 his remains were reinterred somewhere else.
Living in London, we are spoiled for good restaurants, but in my opinion, nothing can top Le Train Bleu, the restaurant located in the hall of Gare de Lyon station, Place Louis Armand, Paris.
The food is fantastic, as you’d expect in France, and the service impeccable, but it’s the furnishings and décor that will blow you away, gilt and chandeliers, ormolu clocks, you’ll think that you’re dining in the Palace of Versailles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or