U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2019, 07:54 AM
 
14,079 posts, read 16,760,606 times
Reputation: 18717

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Union Oyster in Faneuill Hall!

The Union Oyster House is located near Faneuil Hall, but it is definitely not situated inside Faneuil Hall.
And, as to the food at The Union Oyster House, it is--at best--"okay". Their food is certainly not of the gourmet variety, and there are many seafood restaurants in Boston with better food--at more reasonable prices.

I do recommend going there for the history and the atmosphere, but if one is expecting really good food, then it will be a disappointment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2019, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
10,159 posts, read 3,479,215 times
Reputation: 6216
Here's a few more haunted hotels in Britain including the Langham which I mentioned in my previous post.

7 Most Haunted Hotels in Britain | VisitBritain

Also here's a few London pubs frequented by famour writers.

10 London Pubs Frequented by Your Favourite British Authors

Whilst in terms of stat spotting today -

Best London restaurants for star spotting - Restaurant - visitlondon.com

Best London restaurants for star spotting | Restaurant Reviews - Squaremeal

10 of the best exclusive London clubs - Capital A List

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-06-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Texas
3,856 posts, read 3,070,082 times
Reputation: 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
And, as to the food at The Union Oyster House, it is--at best--"okay". Their food is certainly not of the gourmet variety, and there are many seafood restaurants in Boston with better food--at more reasonable prices.
I've been to Boston only once and it was over 20 years ago, and one day, we had late afternoon snack at the Union Oyster House. We both had one beer and I think my husband only had a dozen Oysters and I had clam chowder. The bill was $40-$50 IIRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 09:35 AM
 
14,079 posts, read 16,760,606 times
Reputation: 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I've been to Boston only once and it was over 20 years ago, and one day, we had late afternoon snack at the Union Oyster House. We both had one beer and I think my husband only had a dozen Oysters and I had clam chowder. The bill was $40-$50 IIRC.
+1

If you had sampled their New England Clam Chowder, you would have found it to be overly-thickened with flour, and not containing a whole lot of clams! That is more on the level of diner food, rather than pricey food in a place with pretentions of greatness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
8,605 posts, read 7,877,879 times
Reputation: 18420
I did oyster shooters at Union Oyster and sat on the tiny stools at the bar and enjoyed myself VERY much. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 02:32 PM
 
14,079 posts, read 16,760,606 times
Reputation: 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I did oyster shooters at Union Oyster and sat on the tiny stools at the bar and enjoyed myself VERY much. Would go back in a heartbeat.
Yes, but perhaps you were disoriented at the time.
After all, you thought that you were in Faneuil Hall, even though you weren't...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
3,522 posts, read 1,963,524 times
Reputation: 11285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, but perhaps you were disoriented at the time.
After all, you thought that you were in Faneuil Hall, even though you weren't...

It is an easy enough mistake to make for a tourist. Most assume the whole area is Faneuil Hall. It actually only refers to the one building.

Anywho I grew up in and around Boston and have only been once. Nothing special but if you are from a newer part of the country just go for the history.

BTW you are right about chowder. Any that is thick is awful. I am 50 and growing up chowder had a thin broth with a pat of butter on top. Some how since then the thick flour crap became popular. I blame the tourists!!

Last edited by magicshark; 03-06-2019 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 03:55 PM
 
14,079 posts, read 16,760,606 times
Reputation: 18717
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Most assume the whole area is Faneuil Hall.
… you are right about chowder. Any that is thick is awful
Most people assume that an entire neighborhood or area of a city is a "hall"?
I was under the impression that the term "hall" always referred to a building, or at the very least, part of a building.
Was I misinformed?
Yikes!

… and, if I am eating at a diner, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that my chowder was overly thickened with flour, and seriously lacking in clams. But, in a pricey venue... that type of slap-dash "cuisine" is unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
3,522 posts, read 1,963,524 times
Reputation: 11285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Most people assume that an entire neighborhood or area of a city is a "hall"?
I was under the impression that the term "hall" always referred to a building, or at the very least, part of a building.
Was I misinformed?
Yikes!

and, if I am eating at a diner, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that my chowder was overly thickened with flour, and seriously lacking in clams. But, in a pricey venue... that type of slap-dash "cuisine" is unacceptable.
Well to be honest the whole neighborhood is kind of refered to as Faneuil Hall informally. No big deal if a tourist calls it that. As a native I don't give a fat rat's patootie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
8,605 posts, read 7,877,879 times
Reputation: 18420
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Well to be honest the whole neighborhood is kind of refered to as Faneuil Hall informally. No big deal if a tourist calls it that. As a native I don't give a fat rat's patootie!
Why thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top