Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Fraunces Tavern
For me, all the NYC classics and bars. Oak Bar, Bemelmens, St. Regis King Cole, Russian Tea Room, Rainbow Bar, Katz, Lombardis, 2nd Avenue, Carnegie, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
A "gin martini" is properly called a..."martini!" If it is made with vodka it is an imposter.
THIS!! A martini is gin, a vodka martini is vodka.

I hate that they call those stupid shots in a martini glass a martini. Vodka, grapefruit, and basil in a martini glass is not a martini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,645,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I went to Raffles Bar in Singapore and had a Singapore Sling.
Personally, I was underwhelmed by Raffles. What did you think?

Old 03-05-2019, 10:11 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I grew up in central Jersey, not far from the PA border. I regularly ate in restaurants housed in structures that were a few hundred years old, dating to before the Revolutionary War. My favorite bar was over 150 years old. I love the atmosphere that comes with that. I'm in Colorado now, where if a building is 50 years old, it's often considered a historic structure. One of the few things I miss about Jersey.
I used to hang out here. The burgers are really good.

https://www.dutchhousetavern.com/about

Old 03-05-2019, 10:12 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Fraunces Tavern
You know, I've never been there, and I worked within walking distance for forty years.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I grew up in central Jersey, not far from the PA border. I regularly ate in restaurants housed in structures that were a few hundred years old, dating to before the Revolutionary War. My favorite bar was over 150 years old. I love the atmosphere that comes with that. I'm in Colorado now, where if a building is 50 years old, it's often considered a historic structure. One of the few things I miss about Jersey.
Have you tried the Buckhorn Exchange in Denver? That is the epitome of historic IMO. Not as old as the East Coast but still historic from 1893.

The Buckhorn Exchange

Old 03-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know, I've never been there, and I worked within walking distance for forty years.
We used to go every year for Thanksgiving dinner!

Old 03-05-2019, 03:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Philadelphia used to have Old Original Bookbinders, but it closed. The General Wayne Inn was outside of the city. It opened in 1704 and was supposed to be haunted. They closed after one partner murdered the other.

McGillins Old Ale House is the oldest continuously operating bar in Philadelphia. (only since 1860)

Old 03-05-2019, 04:11 PM

Union Oyster in Faneuill Hall!

Old 03-05-2019, 08:18 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My point is that the vodka martini has been around in popular culture since the 1950s. Martini in 2019 refers to the stemware, not the contents.
And the martini, as a cocktail, has been around since the 1800's and is properly made with gin. Some may refer to anything served in a martini glass as a martini, but that does not make them correct - have you never seen the shrimp cocktail "martini?"

Old 03-06-2019, 03:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 17 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
There's something about historic places (especially old, historic places) that I love visiting. Its like taking a walk back in time. As for historic restaurants, though, I won't be making a second trip if the food isn't very good, no matter how historic the place is

For instance, I visited and ate at the Eagle and Child in Oxford during my 2015 UK trip: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_and_Child

While an interesting experience that I'm grateful for, the food was not very good at all, and I'd never go back if for that reason alone.
Pubs are often more concerned with the drinking element, although saying that there is some very good pub food but it's best to look at reviews first.

In terms of pubs, the UK has lots of very old and very haunted pubs, some date back as far as the Crusades, others such as 'The Old George' in Newcastle Upon Tyne have had King Charles I as a regular during his nearby imprisonment in an open prison (he was eventually executed in London), others have more grisly histories.

Tales from the bar - a tour of London's 'great pubs' - BBC News

The oldest pubs in the UK according to their claims - Business Inside

As for haunted pubs -

10 Most Haunted Pubs In The UK | Higgypop

13 of the most haunted pubs in London - Hello Magazine

It's the same with hotels, some such as the Langham, have histories which include Napoleon III, a German Prince twho threw himself to his death on the build up to WW1 and a doctor who murdered his wife then killed himself while on their honeymoon, apparently it's best to avoid Room 333.

Hotels also often have sordid histories, indeed Claridges was started by George IIII and his friends who wanted somewhere to take their mistresses.

A couple from the vast array of haunted hotels -

Haunted Hotels in England | Haunted Places to Stay in England

The UK's 9 most haunted pubs and hotels - Wanderlust

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-06-2019 at 04:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink