Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:40 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times

Advertisements

I will try just about anything but it does sound awful. I love black olives and can only handle a couple of green olives. I love cream cheese on toast or bagels, but, I like to eat one thing at a time, and I don't like my food touching. Okay, I would try one bite before I pass judgement. I never heard of this combination before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 10:04 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,519 times
It is made with green Manzilla olives stuffed with pimentos chopped up and mixed with the cream cheese I use about a quarter to a half of a tall jar of olives to a bar of cream cheese. Start with fewer olives and taste you can always add more.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:01 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm from MN and we used to eat this when I was a kid in the Fifties.

Kraft Spread Olive & Pimento 5.0 oz Nutrition Information | ShopWell
I'm from Pennsylvania and I had it for lunch today. Been eating this for many years.
ETA: I don't spread it on bread, just on crackers. Keebler Club is my preference.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:53 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,816,274 times
You are all very lucky.
Cream cheese nauseates me.. and olives I can leave, or leave.
Just thinking of the combo is making me gag.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:02 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I have never heard of anyone describing cream cheese as "tangy." Are you referring to a flavored type of cream cheese? I love cream cheese, but I consider it to be a rather mild and bland taste and not at all tangy.
In my mind and within the realm of the cheese world I would describe cream cheese as tangy. It definitely has a certain sourness to it that I would think of as tangy.

tang·yDictionary result for tangy
/ˈtaNGē/Submit
adjective
having a strong, piquant flavor or smell.
"a tangy salad"
synonyms: sharp-flavored, sharp, zesty, acid, acidic, tart, sour, bitter, harsh, biting, piquant, spicy, tasty, flavorsome, pungent
"a tangy orange cake"

Old 03-04-2019, 01:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
In my mind and within the realm of the cheese world I would describe cream cheese as tangy. It definitely has a certain sourness to it that I would think of as tangy.

tang·yDictionary result for tangy
/ˈtaNGē/Submit
adjective
having a strong, piquant flavor or smell.
"a tangy salad"
synonyms: sharp-flavored, sharp, zesty, acid, acidic, tart, sour, bitter, harsh, biting, piquant, spicy, tasty, flavorsome, pungent
"a tangy orange cake"
I agree. I find it noticeable in cheesecake. (Now I want cheesecake.) I find it especially noticeable in cheesecake ice cream, which I always say has a pleasantly "sour" taste. (Now I want cheesecake ice cream.)

Old 03-04-2019, 02:47 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,021,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
As a little girl my mom who was from RI used to make me cream cheese and olive sandwiches, I loved them. Years later I went to a ice cream and sandwich place called Newport Creamery also RI based. So I am wondering is the cream cheese and olive a RI thing? It is the only place I have ever seen it sold.

My grandma, from Arkansas, and then Oklahoma, used to make us cream cheese and olive sandwiches sometimes. :-) Yummm.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:57 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I agree. I find it noticeable in cheesecake. (Now I want cheesecake.) I find it especially noticeable in cheesecake ice cream, which I always say has a pleasantly "sour" taste. (Now I want cheesecake ice cream.)
Sorry Dawn!!!

One thing about cheesecake for me. When really craving a piece, it is a roll of the dice. So-so cheesecake can be very disappointing whereas a lousy layer cake still hits most of the crave buttons. Usually I will pass unless I have substantial evidence it will meet my standards. So far only Junior's and Houlihan's are must haves or of course if I'm presented with one that has been baked by someone I'm eating with. Don't want to be rude!

Old 03-04-2019, 02:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post

One thing about cheesecake for me. When really craving a piece, it is a roll of the dice. So-so cheesecake can be very disappointing whereas a lousy layer cake still hits most of the crave buttons. Usually I will pass unless I have substantial evidence it will meet my standards
I agree... AGAIN.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:18 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
What kind of olives? black in the can, green pimento filled olives, kalamata olives?

I make a tapenade with those 3 and the oil cured black ones, probably be good on a cream sandwich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink