U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:48 AM

38,343 posts, read 2,893,727 times

Advertisements

I have never heard of cheese festivals, but I do make sure I try local cheeses any time we travel.

In California, where I live, I have been to several cheese factories or farms. We went to the Hillmar cheese factory, they make alot of cheese for small & large [roducers, it was very interesting to hear about the quality controls on the milk as it arrives etc & even more fun to try the samples. I fo to try some cheese curds, which I did not liek at all, they squeak while being chewed.

My very favorite cheese place is a goat dairy farm, in a small village, called Pescadero.

http://www.harleyfarms.com/

We did a tour there once, & they even let us milk a goat. Poor goat lol when we lived in San Francisco. we would often make it our destination for a picnic, they have such wonderful cheese & it is also fun to see the goats & kids in good conditions, in the fields.
Have fun at the festival & report back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 11:51 AM

58,052 posts, read 40,812,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I'm totally in love with cheese!

Have a few books but would love to try out a festival. I had tickets to one in Wisconsin but had to cancel....

Tell your experiences and recommendations...for cheeses and for festivals, no matter where...

I haven't but either this past Sunday or the week before on the CBS TV show Sunday Morning they did a segment on a Wisconsin cheesemaker competing at a big Wisconsin cheese show, it was very interesting. You may be able to stream it from a CBS site. It was in Madison so may be the show you were hoping to attend.

Not a cheese show but I've been to a trade only Fancy Food Show at the Javits Center in NYC thanks to a friend in the food business getting us tickets. It's amazing how full you can get just grazing on samples, not to mention how buzzed with espresso machines set-up seemingly every 20 feet!

Last edited by burdell; 03-05-2019 at 12:56 PM..

Old 03-05-2019, 12:30 PM

26,811 posts, read 5,726,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have never heard of cheese festivals, but I do make sure I try local cheeses any time we travel.

In California, where I live, I have been to several cheese factories or farms. We went to the Hillmar cheese factory, they make alot of cheese for small & large [roducers, it was very interesting to hear about the quality controls on the milk as it arrives etc & even more fun to try the samples. I fo to try some cheese curds, which I did not liek at all, they squeak while being chewed.

My very favorite cheese place is a goat dairy farm, in a small village, called Pescadero.

http://www.harleyfarms.com/

We did a tour there once, & they even let us milk a goat. Poor goat lol when we lived in San Francisco. we would often make it our destination for a picnic, they have such wonderful cheese & it is also fun to see the goats & kids in good conditions, in the fields.
Have fun at the festival & report back

Wow, great places around you. I know there are some individual farms in NC that make cheese but they are
spread out across the state.

I'd love the goat farm....and cheese made there!

Old 03-05-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I haven't but either this past Sunday or the week before they on the CBS TV show Sunday Morning they did a segment on a Wisconsin cheesemaker competing at a big Wisconsin cheese show, it was very interesting. You may be able to stream it from a CBS site. It was in Madison so may be the show you were hoping to attend.

Not a cheese show but I've been to a trade only Fancy Food Show at the Javits Center in NYC thanks to a friend in the food business getting us tickets. It's amazing how full you can get just grazing on samples, not to mention how buzzed with espresso machines set-up seemingly every 20 feet!

I saw the CBS Sunday Morning about the cheesemonger....

Old 03-05-2019, 03:13 PM

37,855 posts, read 14,739,896 times
I volunteered at the annual American Cheese Society conference one year.

It was outrageous.

"More than 1,300 cheese professionals, purchasers, and influencers from throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe attend to network, sample products, and learn from one another."

Artisan cheeses so good I wanted to lick the plate.

Next one is coming up the end of July in Richmond, Virginia.

https://www.cheesesociety.org/conference/

Old 03-05-2019, 03:27 PM

21,260 posts, read 21,765,152 times
avoid them because of "the mouse problem" that spring up wherever these festivals come to town.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:28 PM

21,568 posts, read 14,180,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This has me recalling the various “chariot de fromages” I’ve experienced in France. A cart with 20+ varieties of cheese gets wheeled to your table and you sample some.

I have tons of access to artisanal local cheese. I just try new ones occasionally as a treat. I drive by a Cabot cheese tasting center all the time. I stop occasionally. It’s not like there is any novelty to Cabot cheese.
I really like Cabot cheese. I prefer it the local fave, Tillamook cheese. I used to buy Cabot it in St. Louis.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:34 PM

15,401 posts, read 13,416,663 times
I went to one in Switzerland, it was great, came upon it by accident. I paid some fee and got this bracelet that let me have unlimited sampling, and I went around sampling cheeses and had some beers also. I was great because it was the morning and was in the mood for cheese. Would have bought some, but was traveling. Did end up buying a bunch of strawberries and chowing down on them later.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I volunteered at the annual American Cheese Society conference one year.

It was outrageous.

"More than 1,300 cheese professionals, purchasers, and influencers from throughout the United States, Canada, and Europe attend to network, sample products, and learn from one another."

Artisan cheeses so good I wanted to lick the plate.

Next one is coming up the end of July in Richmond, Virginia.

https://www.cheesesociety.org/conference/

Saved!

Oh I can't imagine being in the room with so many cheeses!!
I might faint from joy....and being able to talk with cheesemongers...

Thanks

Old 03-05-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I went to one in Switzerland, it was great, came upon it by accident. I paid some fee and got this bracelet that let me have unlimited sampling, and I went around sampling cheeses and had some beers also. I was great because it was the morning and was in the mood for cheese. Would have bought some, but was traveling. Did end up buying a bunch of strawberries and chowing down on them later.

Unlimited sampling!
And in Switzerland at that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or