U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 01:50 PM

34,255 posts, read 18,591,248 times

Advertisements

To each his own.

King crab legs? They're OK.

Lobster? It's great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 02:59 PM

1,511 posts, read 989,408 times
Lobster. I like to go to Maine for a week or two in late August and visit the lobster dock every day to get my fill of fresh off the boat lobster. So good.

As a kid my grandfather would take me crabbing at Barnegat bay. 4 crab traps, some fish heads and we'd end up with a bushel of blue claw crabs for dinner.

Never had west coast crabs because I like my seafood fresh out of the sea. Not from 3,000 miles away.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:26 PM

55 posts, read 34,328 times
Lobstah!! But I do love them both!!!

Old 03-07-2019, 09:18 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,926,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Thats ok..... I started by googling. Too many opinions out there. Went with wife's suggestion:

Tall stock pot with a wire colander resting on the bottom. 2 inches of boiling water, cover and steam for 10 minutes or so. Serve immediately. Bought already thawed from Costco.
You can also thaw them, then do them on the grill. No water needed, so no watery crab legs. The legs snap better too to get the meat out.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:20 PM

8,652 posts, read 5,856,033 times
I like them both, with an edge to crab legs

Old Yesterday, 12:30 AM

671 posts, read 77,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I like both, but crab legs have better flavor. They have a unique flavor and are sweeter, while to me lobster has more of a bland, nondescript flavor. Also, crab legs are more tender. I have gotten tender lobster before, but I've also had rubbery lobster. Maybe it's the way it's cooked.
Don't boil Lobster or Crab legs. That just ruins the meat, and takes away the flavor.

Why do you think all this butter BS came from. Just to coverup poorly cooked Lobster or Crab legs.

Steam, Bake, or Grill Lobster. Steam Crab legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
This is why I rarely order Lobster or Crab in Restaurants, as
many seem to boil them and they get icky
That's why they didn't taste good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I prefer lobster to crab, but whole lobsters, not lobster tail which is frequently not even really lobster anyway, plus you are missing out on so much of the good stuff that way. I think the knuckle meat is better than the tail
Lobster over Crab, yes. But both is better if you follow my recipe.

Stuffed Baked Lobster

(2-3) 1 to 1 1/4lb Lobsters
1 lb of Sea Scallops
1 lb of shrimp (cooked or raw)
1 lb of crab meat or one can of crab meat
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
1-2 TBS of Olive Oil or butter

Preheat Oven to 325-350 degrees F for at least 10 minutes

Cut Lobsters in half and remove tamales (intestines) and discard. Clean out all the tamales from each Lobster.

Dice up Sea Scallops, Shrimp, Crab meat** into 1/2inch cubes **If your using can crab meat, open can.

In a big mixing bowl add Sea Scallops, Shrimp, Crab Meat**, Panko bread crumbs.
Mix ingredients well until blended.

[If you want you could add an egg to help bind ingredients. But I've been making this recipe for 15+yrs without it.]

Now heat oil or butter in a large skillet. Add your mixed ingredients to skillet. Spread them evenly across and let cook for a few minutes.

Place your halved Lobsters on baking pans / cookie sheets. Matched left/right sides.

Stir around your stuffing mix in your skillet. Cook for about 10 minutes total.

Turn off skillet, and add stuffing to your Lobster halves. Evenly divide your stuffing between all your Lobster halves.

Cook your stuffed Lobster on 325-350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes.

When done your Lobsters will be a beautiful rusty orange color, and stuffing toasty brown.

This is better than what those Red Lobster clowns try to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Fresh, whole lobster is sweet and tender so it's a win for me. If it's just the tail then it's likely been frozen and loses a lot of it's flavor, I would pass on it if the crab is fresh. If both were frozen then either is fine, just add lots of butter and lemon.
Too much water (ice) kills the flavor. That's why they hide it with butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How do you prepare it if not by boiling (if frozen; the only way I can get it)?

I've always heard lobster -- usually tail or claw -- touted as the ultimate treat, but I tried it and wasn't impressed.

I much prefer King Crab legs, but are they more expensive per pound considering how much shell you're paying for?

Just wondered if there was something amiss with me for not loving lobster!
Steam it. 2-3TBS of water in the bottom of the pan, add the steam tray with Lobster, cover let cook for 10 minutes on high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Hey, what about scallops? Big, fat juicy scallops. I'll take them over lobster tails and crab.
Try my recipe and your love'em all. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Lobster first, then scallops, then shrimp. I have never liked crab, but maybe I've never had it prepared properly because I definitely don't get 'sweet' from it.
Try my recipe and your love'em all. lol

Old Yesterday, 01:21 AM

5,531 posts, read 2,638,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
hy do you think all this butter BS came from. Just to coverup poorly cooked Lobster or Crab legs.
Nonsense. People all over the world use dips and spices to enhance enjoyment of things without it being an indicator something isn't quality or prepared well. It's entirely plausible than someone can prefer well-cooked lobster/crabs with butter over same without butter, that preference doesn't mean they are attempting to mask flavor of the underlying dish.

Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM

12,775 posts, read 6,675,964 times
From my coastal New England perspective, lobster tail isn’t lobster. Lobster is homarus americanus. Live North Atlantic lobster. You can’t freeze it.

My sister lives in Vancouver with access to fresh Dungeness crab and staggeringly expensive fresh lump crab meat. That’s really good. I like soft shell crab but it needs to be fresh and that doesn’t normally make it up from Maryland.

Frozen king crab legs do nothing for me. I’m sure fresh is a totally different experience.

In my zip code, I pick live lobster. Fresh matters more than the lobster vs crab thing. If I lived in Alaska, I’d eat the fresh local seafood and that would include king crab legs.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

12,775 posts, read 6,675,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Nonsense. People all over the world use dips and spices to enhance enjoyment of things without it being an indicator something isn't quality or prepared well. It's entirely plausible than someone can prefer well-cooked lobster/crabs with butter over same without butter, that preference doesn't mean they are attempting to mask flavor of the underlying dish.
I have the family heirloom lobster steamer. I steam lobsters on the back deck all the time. I canít imagine not having melted butter with a bit of fresh lemon juice. It enhances the flavor. I use a bit of mayo and lemon juice on the lobster when I make lobster rolls and the New England hot dog bun is grilled in butter. Again, that all enhances the flavor. Butter, Ritz cracker, and lemon juice for baked stuffed lobster is really good, especially if you add more partially cooked lobster meat to the stuffing. Sherry, paprika, and shallots in Newburg Sauce is excellent.

I have Singapore Chilli Crab made with Dungeness crab occasionally when Iím in Vancouver. Thatís really good.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

940 posts, read 506,641 times
Crab legs baby. Blue crab and dungeness!! They're sweet and they make ya work for the reward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink