U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:58 PM

7,789 posts, read 10,753,665 times

Advertisements

CB sandwiches on rye. No cabbage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 01:10 PM

33,213 posts, read 9,836,051 times
Other than the cottage cheese-lime dessert I usually make, nothing. We don't eat the typical SPD fare.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:35 PM

10,007 posts, read 20,817,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
What will you be making St. Patrick's Day?
Corned beef is on the menu from whenever I buy it until St Pat's day. It's rare for me to actually cook it on the actual day. I normally try to make it on a Sunday when everyone is here. I see Shop Rite has it on sale $1.88lb till tomorrow so I'll be getting it tomorrow to make on Sunday. The only one that's Irish is my son.

It's very hard to find corned beef when it's not St Pat's around here. I guess it's not a good seller. I'd love to make it during the year if I could find it more often

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Corned beef, was dreamed up by a New York Deli owner (Jewish), for St Patrick's day. It is an Irish American tradition, not an Irish one. The Irish often eat boiled bacon with cabbage, which is what he based it on.
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that's true but according to wiki Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated in more countries than any other national festival. I had to look it up, I'm not Irish (Hungarian) so wasn't sure of the tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
We will have cider-braised corned beef on rye (with Swiss cheese and hot mustard), Irish potato cakes, spicy fried cabbage and chocolate stout cupcakes.
Those cupcakes sound awesome!

Old 03-08-2019, 03:52 PM

13,681 posts, read 24,814,124 times
Corned beef never goes on sale here till after the holiday. I will be waiting for the sale so no CB for me on the 17th.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:42 PM

2,990 posts, read 1,150,695 times
I'm going out because it's my anniversary and am unlikely to come across corned beef on the menu. I do like it, and would like to have some before or after the day, but it doesn't go on much of a sale here, not being very popular. So I'll need the luck of the Irish to come across a nice piece that's worth it.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:50 PM

1,287 posts, read 1,277,918 times
I'll have a nice boiled potato. Plain.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:18 PM

21,361 posts, read 26,564,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'm going out because it's my anniversary and am unlikely to come across corned beef on the menu. I do like it, and would like to have some before or after the day, but it doesn't go on much of a sale here, not being very popular. So I'll need the luck of the Irish to come across a nice piece that's worth it.
If you have a nearby Aldi, check there.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:29 PM

33,373 posts, read 2,566,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Corned beef is on the menu from whenever I buy it until St Pat's day. It's rare for me to actually cook it on the actual day. I normally try to make it on a Sunday when everyone is here. I see Shop Rite has it on sale $1.88lb till tomorrow so I'll be getting it tomorrow to make on Sunday. The only one that's Irish is my son.

It's very hard to find corned beef when it's not St Pat's around here. I guess it's not a good seller. I'd love to make it during the year if I could find it more often

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that's true but according to wiki Saint Patrick's Day is celebrated in more countries than any other national festival. I had to look it up, I'm not Irish (Hungarian) so wasn't sure of the tradition

Those cupcakes sound awesome!
t

I understand it is widely celebrated,but corned beef is not a food that is eaten much in the Republic of ireland, which was my point, Corned beef & cabbage was a NY dish & has become a symbol of Paddys day in America, but not in Ireland.

https://www.history.com/news/corned-...-and-meatballs

Old 03-09-2019, 05:46 AM

17,861 posts, read 22,919,142 times
Quote:
t

I understand it is widely celebrated,but corned beef is not a food that is eaten much in the Republic of ireland, which was my point, Corned beef & cabbage was a NY dish & has become a symbol of Paddys day in America, but not in Ireland.

I read that years ago but the irish immigrants "adopted" the brisket because it was cheap
this is no slam for the irish … my mothers maiden name is O'Connor …. quite irish

I will have home made corned beef- but I use a bottom flat (primal) bottom round roasts and soak in brine .. with some pickling spices... I also "corn" some pork roasts which are very good (and cheap) I will cook in my instapot pressure cooker this year til it falls apart

I also make a corned beef sausage in the casings...no one else makes it and it sells well in the stores - great for breakfast!

here is a corned beef tip- don't bake in oven...it will taste like a piece of salt.... for years I would have ladies bring back corned beef and say it was the worst they ever had....I asked how she cooked it... they baked them ...it should be cooked in moist heat ..
now I place cooking instructions all around the corned beef display

slow cookers are great for corned beef

Old 03-09-2019, 08:06 AM

56,650 posts, read 39,851,288 times
Quote:
t

I agree, I once spent St Patrick's day in two Irish owned, very traditional Irish Pubs. The menu at both centered on lamb stew and Guinness and there was no corned beef & cabbage to be had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink