U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 02:49 AM

1,007 posts, read 231,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Is there any benefit to starting with a corned beef rather than a brisket? I know near me it's often easier to find corned beef, especially this time of year.
I don't have to buy a whole packer brisket and most of the corned beef available are points. They are preseasoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK. Seems like a lot of trouble instead of just getting a good pastrami to begin with, though.

Although, if I want pastrami, I usually just go to a Jewish deli and get a sandwich on rye.
Gotta give my smokers some exercise and I can use what ever wood I choose. Peach gives an excellent flavor. More than likely, I'll throw something else on while smoking the pastrami, pork butt or sausage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 07:38 AM

36,065 posts, read 40,751,271 times
I baked a chocolate Guinness cake for our work potluck today.

For at home, my Irish MIL is cooking, and is going to do corned beef and cabbage and potatoes, which I love. I will probably do soda bread...mine is savory, hers is sweet, and I prefer mine with the meal and hers as a dessert.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:31 PM

10,244 posts, read 3,502,748 times
There's some good reciped in the link below.

St Patrick's Day recipes | BBC Good Food

Old 03-14-2019, 05:57 AM

70,682 posts, read 81,791,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
It's next week already but I am having my dinner this weekend because my mom is unavailable next week. Anyway this is what we are having:

Corned beef , cabbage, potatoes and carrots done in the crock pot with beer
Shepard's pie
Homemade Irish soda bread
Fresh Rye bread from the bakery
beer to drink
That is pretty much like we will have and most people I know. WE are not having the Shepard's pie. I don't see much need for it with the corned beef but it does sound good. We will also have a salad with the rest of the meal. It is rare we have a meal without salad. Now even though we always have corned beef and yes, we are 1/2 Irish, straight from Ireland I really doubt Corned beef has anything to do with Irish. As mentioned in this tread, it is a made up tradition.

Old 03-14-2019, 05:59 AM

70,682 posts, read 81,791,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Paella. No, not kidding.
can't rep you but that sounds pretty good to me. We just have to have our corned beef. It is the only time of the year we have it.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM

11,779 posts, read 5,606,744 times
I’m making roasted cabbage, it’s half and half. Half as boiled cabbage and half as roast cabbage.

Edit to add, my husband liked the roasted cabbage. Next year, it will not be boiled.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-14-2019 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 03:08 PM

9,132 posts, read 8,475,918 times
Probably pasta and a salad.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:50 PM

752 posts, read 427,222 times
Lasagna and garlic bread.
Love corned beef and cabbage, but we just had it a few weeks ago.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:06 PM

18,159 posts, read 22,582,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I baked a chocolate Guinness cake for our work potluck today.

For at home, my Irish MIL is cooking, and is going to do corned beef and cabbage and potatoes, which I love. I will probably do soda bread...mine is savory, hers is sweet, and I prefer mine with the meal and hers as a dessert.
1. The Guinness cake sounds good and interesting. Do you have a link to the recipe?

2. I love what American's call Irish Soda bread. Mine is somewhere between savory and sweet. I'll bake a few loaves tomorrow. I like my recipe, but I don't love it. In the pre-computer days, I had a very good recipe. I must have lost it in a move, or it's stuffed in an old cookbook I hardly use.

I always add cardamom - from that old recipe, and golden raisins. How different are your sweet and savory breads?

Old 03-16-2019, 10:30 PM

18,159 posts, read 22,582,063 times
While I am 1/4 Irish, I'd probably celebrate St.Paddy's Day if I wasn't Irish at all. I'm a festive person. I celebrate Cinco de Mayo and I am not one drop Mexican. I really enjoy ethnic street fairs, celebrations and holidays. Also regional customs from the US - for example collards and black eyed peas on New Year's Day, Indian pudding from New England, and I always keep grits on hand.

Some may call that "cultural appropriation", however, I disagree. I just think it's part of what makes the US unique. Our diversity.

We are invited to a St. Patrick's Day brunch buffet tomorrow at around 12:30. We don't have to take food, it isn't a pot luck, but we wanted to try each other's soda bread. They are very connected to their Irish heritage and have mentioned that "Corned Beef and Cabbage" is not authentic.

I know that she is serving a cheese spread (as of now, I only know a couple of Irish cheeses, neighbor says there will be more, some fish (I am not sure what) Irish Potato Salad which I have never had, roasted vegetables, rashers (I guess bacon) Irish stew with lamb - and more.

They will be playing lots of Irish music including the Chieftains, The Pogues, The Drop Kick Murphys, (one of my favorites) U2 and Van Morrison.

There will be Guinness, Irish beer (not sure what) and a St.Paddy's day Jaimeson cocktail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink