U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 10:59 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,921,174 times

Advertisements

I recently read a list of time limits on things stored in the frig.(I wish I would have copied it). Anyway the list showed the time limit to catchup, soy sauce etc. I couldn't believe it. I think the time limit for soy sauce was 3 months or so and I keep mine in the frig for years because I rarely use it. And relish was a few months and I keep mine for many months. Is there reason to worry. I usually smell whatever I am going to put on something for being spoiled. Mayonnaise had a short time limit also and I keep mine for months. What about your time limits on food in the frig?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 11:17 AM

4,351 posts, read 6,804,535 times
The better question was who paid for that list? Grocery association? Yup, your stuff will KILL YOU if consumed more than 38 seconds after leaving the building in which it's being sold. Please return to the store and purchase again. Similarly, was the list a "best by" type piece, or a "hazardous to consume" type piece? Of course food will be less than its best when opened and then stored for months on end... but other than not tasting its best, it's not generally going to harm you.

I hate condiments. They take up so much fridge space and are used in small portions (mostly), so it's not uncommon for something to be months past its "best by" date (that was months ahead at the time of purchase). And I'm a home cook who tends to focus on cooking with what I have on hand. With that realization I've started buying the Smallest of whatever I use infrequently. It's hard to look past that now-ubiquitous "price per ounce" thing that's supposed to indicate value and instead look at simple Price and realize that the $12 tub of anchovy paste that's only $0.03/ounce is a worse buy than the $6 tube that's $1.00/ounce when you're only going to use 5 ounces before it's not a viable product.

To more directly answer your specific question, I toss things out when they're Obviously bad. About once a year my wife goes through and discards anything near or past it's printed "date"... so it's possible something will make it ~11 months in the fridge.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:17 AM

35,218 posts, read 53,806,142 times
I don't care for expiration dates - they are marketing gimmicks.
I solely rely on the look, touch, smell and taste.
https://www.tasteofhome.com/collecti...od-is-spoiled/
Soy sauce doesn't get bad easily - its preserved in salt. Mayo, butter, oil could get rancid if stored for too long. It will look good but have "old fat" taste. Taste and throw out. Ketchup should be refrigerated, but it stays good for a long time (preserved in vinegar), radish too. Mustard can be left outside - it stays good for a long time.
Check on here:
How Long Do Condiments Last? Shelf Life, Storage, Expiration

https://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/healt...ood/index.html
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:24 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,196,766 times
I do volunteer work for a local food bank. One thing that is carefully scrutinized is expiration dates, but for the time frame past them rather than strict adherence to them. For canned goods, they are considered acceptable for distribution for up to six months past the expiration date on the can or sealed container. For dehydrated items such as mixes, as long as the seal is unbroken they are considered suitable indefinitely. By extension, the canned goods are OK well past that, because it isn't expected that they will be immediately opened and used after distribution. Because of legal liability, food companies are very conservative about the dates that they put on their products.

The "Sell by" date is an indication of the last date that the item is considered fresh for sale. It is not an indication that it is not fit for consumption past that date.

If you will excuse me, I have to go and prepare my microwave popcorn that is two years past its expiration date. It tastes fine, and I haven't been to ER yet after eating a bag of it.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:41 AM

33,268 posts, read 2,566,354 times
I keep everything until it goes bad lol those expiration dates are useless.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:01 PM

995 posts, read 227,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I do volunteer work for a local food bank. One thing that is carefully scrutinized is expiration dates, but for the time frame past them rather than strict adherence to them. For canned goods, they are considered acceptable for distribution for up to six months past the expiration date on the can or sealed container. For dehydrated items such as mixes, as long as the seal is unbroken they are considered suitable indefinitely. By extension, the canned goods are OK well past that, because it isn't expected that they will be immediately opened and used after distribution. Because of legal liability, food companies are very conservative about the dates that they put on their products.

The "Sell by" date is an indication of the last date that the item is considered fresh for sale. It is not an indication that it is not fit for consumption past that date.

If you will excuse me, I have to go and prepare my microwave popcorn that is two years past its expiration date. It tastes fine, and I haven't been to ER yet after eating a bag of it.
In our very litigious society, if you are a food bank or provide food services, you better adhere to the manufactures guide lines or risk litigation. If it is for personal use, have at it.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:02 PM

35,218 posts, read 53,806,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I keep everything until it goes bad lol those expiration dates are useless.
Absolutely!!
Few weeks ago I dug out from the bottom of my freezer vacuum sealed steak that was dated ... 2007.
I defrosted it and assessed for freezer burns, changes of texture and smell. It had a perfect look and smell. So, I prepared it and ate for dinner. It tasted delicious. Just like a fresh cut of meat.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:00 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,196,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
In our very litigious society, if you are a food bank or provide food services, you better adhere to the manufactures guide lines or risk litigation. If it is for personal use, have at it.
All they would likely accomplish is to shut down the food bank. Food banks aren't havens for cash. I don't imagine that too many lawyers are going to take on a case for someone who complains that a can of corn that they got for free was beyond its expiration date, especially when there was no harm.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:06 PM

2,155 posts, read 780,095 times
it only takes one lawyer.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:10 PM

31,870 posts, read 58,623,451 times
Does it smell bad, off, sour, moldy, etc.?
Is the color off?
Does it feel slippery or slimy?
Is there visible mold?

No?

Consume!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or