U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2019, 11:15 PM

5,787 posts, read 1,858,247 times

Advertisements

Batter and bread crumbs/panko are not the same things at all so you shouldn't be comparing them. Batter is for food you will deep fry, and only for that purpose.

Bread crumbs or panko are for foods you will either bake or pan fry. Huge difference.

Both bread crumbs and panko are key ingredients of healthier food options (than the deep fried version of anything). Of course the healthiest option is always to not fry your food or coat it in unnecessary carbs, but that's another story.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 01:35 AM

218 posts, read 84,791 times
The main difference between the two is panko is much more simplistic; crustless white bread. No seasonings or differences in the actual breading used as the expectation is the individual will season as they need depending on the dish.

I definitely don't recommend simply replacing your breadcrumbs with panko without making additional changes to account for the differences between the two. Breadcrumbs have a completely different texture (obviously crumb like versus flakes and much heavier) and traditionally have seasonings added making it easier to add as a all in one binder.

My favorite use for panko would be using them for chicken or pork cutlets. Add some seasonings and pan fry them in a bit of oil and they come out excellent. You can also adapt it for several different meals, serve with mashed potatoes and gravy for something American or you can mix it up with some rice and Asian style curry for its traditional use.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:41 AM

1,797 posts, read 605,994 times
Tip: Dredge what you want to coat in flour, then in egg wash, then in Panko. This will give the Panko something to hold on to.

Although Panko and Breadcrumbs can be used interchangeably, some methods for applying breadcrumbs may make foods seem too heavy or bready when using Panko.

Other than stuffed artichokes, I cant think of any food where fine breadcrumbs would be a superior choice over Panko, but to each his own.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:20 PM

30,048 posts, read 18,997,369 times
I like panko, bread crumbs and batter for different things.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-10-2019, 01:26 PM

11,862 posts, read 5,647,212 times
I use pandora for years, however I skipped it when my husband was strictly gluten free. NowI might add some back. Shrimp and chicken.

Old 03-11-2019, 01:13 PM

14,770 posts, read 18,374,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I use pandora for years, however I skipped it when my husband was strictly gluten free. NowI might add some back. Shrimp and chicken.

quick google search shows they have gluten free panko. Not that I'm recommending it. . .

Old 03-11-2019, 02:51 PM

12,302 posts, read 8,276,368 times
Panko is especially good for thin pieces of protein not thick as it breaks more easily than bread.

Tempura shrimp is crispy and light because it uses panko.

Pork or Chicken cutler using panko makes it extra crunchy.

Panko is also very good at absorbing moisture and doesn't lose the crunch than bread crumbs that can easily become soaked and breaks apart.

That is why Tempura shrimp can retain it's shape when it's served on ramen noodle soup.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:37 AM

1,028 posts, read 235,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Panko is especially good for thin pieces of protein not thick as it breaks more easily than bread.

Tempura shrimp is crispy and light because it uses panko.

Pork or Chicken cutler using panko makes it extra crunchy.

Panko is also very good at absorbing moisture and doesn't lose the crunch than bread crumbs that can easily become soaked and breaks apart.

That is why Tempura shrimp can retain it's shape when it's served on ramen noodle soup.
All the Tempura shrimp I've ever had used Tempura batter only.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:46 AM

70,727 posts, read 81,865,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think it makes the fried breading crispier because is made of crustless bread. It stays crisp after frying longer too.
Panko's crustless bread is coarsely ground into airy, large flakes that give fried foods a light, crunchy coating. But of course, all is a matter of your personal preferences.
I agree; it makes an excellent coating for frying foods even though I rarely fry anything anymore. Working with beer batter or other types is messier and it isn't always easy to get the batter to stick to the foods. Panko is easy.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:01 AM

11,445 posts, read 4,684,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree; it makes an excellent coating for frying foods even though I rarely fry anything anymore. Working with beer batter or other types is messier and it isn't always easy to get the batter to stick to the foods. Panko is easy.
But I think it depends on what you're looking for or trying to achieve. Beer batter gives a totally different flavor and texture to fried foods. The two things aren't interchangeable to me. Similar thing with tempura batter. Using a batter of any type is quite different than using a breading or panko. Texture and flavor is very different and is suppose to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink