U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:07 AM

11,862 posts, read 5,647,212 times

Advertisements

I like it for baking, not frying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 09:14 AM

19,249 posts, read 15,877,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I wouldn't ever use it or want it in place of a batter dipped fish, shrimp or anything else.

But I do usually use it in place of bread crumbs when I'm going to fry something - cutlets, eggplant, etc. If I want a crunchy topping on mac 'n cheese, pull out the panko. But I still keep bread crumbs in the pantry - mostly for things like meatballs and meatloaf.

OP says "I get quite excited when I finally find "beer battered" cod in the store." THAT phrasing makes me think she/he is talking about grocery stores and the frozen food aisle. If I'm correct, then I agree with OP. Panko crusted frozen anything is dreadful. But so is frozen bread crumb covered anything. If they have frozen beer battered fish, I've never seen it. And I sure don't wanna eat it.
Yes it does make crunchy topping! I used it yesterday for chicken parm casserole. The topping was panko, Parmesan, garlic powder and melted butter....it came out wonderfully crunchy.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:23 PM

652 posts, read 309,332 times
I like it a lot. I make a chicken divan casserole that I used to use bread crumbs for, but then I switched to panko and it keeps the topping crunchier. I've used it with meatloaf, and pretty much anywhere I'd use bread crumbs.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:07 AM

13,216 posts, read 21,625,379 times
Mac and cheese is topped with buttered panko before baking at our house. We tried it once and never looked back.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:51 AM

14,019 posts, read 23,507,041 times
I personally like Panko crumbs as they add more texture to things like macaroni and cheese. I buy them in bulk for $0.87/lb so they are very reasonable.

Old Today, 06:14 PM

5,169 posts, read 13,084,841 times
I do my fried shrimp in Panko (floured, egg-washed and pankoed)...makes it crispy and lovely! I do fried fish in seafood breading...much smoother. Not a fan of battered seafood....mainly, because I don't deep=fry much at home...too messy.

Old Today, 08:03 PM

25,094 posts, read 32,149,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Why is Panko breading so prevalent these days? Do that many people really like the stuff?
I don't.
I get quite excited when I finally find "beer battered" cod in the store.
Plain battered shrimp are wonderful.
I'm not sure what is in "Panko", and I don't care. It makes me think of eating something dipped in sand.
Thoroughly and completely disgusting, IMO.
Panko is simply a type of breadcrumb. A little crispier than the regular type, so many people prefer it.

Canít believe you donít know that. Theyíve been around for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink