U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:31 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,017,153 times

Advertisements

I've wanted to do a clam bake for a long time, but live in w.KS. We like lobster, shrimp, but have never had clams. I can order 10# of steamers for $9/#, $90, from a groc store. In line w/what I've seen on the web. They also have live lobsters, and fresh shrimp. Guessing lobsters are $20/#, and shrimp at $10(I'm pretty close on both), I'm look'n at $90 for clams $90 lobsters, $40 for shrimp, for a total of $220 for about 7 people......not including anything else. Yep, this is all on me, but would be an experience for all, a good one I hope.

Is it worth that kind of money? Is a clam bake that much fun? Money isn't grow'n on trees here, but I am doing fine......I've spent more on crazier stuff. Just want an idea.

INFO: We all like crab, lobster, clam chowder, fish, only 2 of us like sushi(daughter and I like to try different things). We are rednecks, but not "full blooded".

Thanks for any help, I do appreciate it.
Also, can I fry the left over clams and save/freeze to use later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 12:19 PM

5,082 posts, read 12,584,520 times
You can buy, or have the food shipped anywhere. But the rest of the procedure may present a problem in Kansas.

We used to have clambakes on the beach on Cape Cod when I was a kid and they were great fun, but they were part of a bigger activity like spending a couple of days on the beach, digging clams, and gathering driftwood for the fire and fresh seaweed for the steam.

Here's how we did it.

After gathering all the stuff, you dig a hole in the sand on the beach, make a big fire of driftwood or logs in the hole and wait until it dies down to coals.
That can take a couple of hours.

Then you take wet seaweed, put it over the coals, and add your first layer of food. Then another layer of seaweed, more food, etc.

Leave everything in it's shell and don't shuck the corn.

Then you cover the last layer of seaweed with a canvas tarp, (preferably from an old sail) and cover it with sand.

How long you leave it depends on how much stuff you have buried. It usually takes several hours.

You need lots of ice to keep the beer and soda cold, and a couple pounds of butter for the corn and clams.

I can't tell you about what to do with leftovers because we never had any.

Last edited by Fat Freddy; 04-10-2008 at 12:32 PM..

Old 04-10-2008, 12:36 PM

Thanks Freddy, I was planning on using the smoker/grill and putting the food in an alum foil pan and covering w/2 layers of foil to steam the food. Of course adding some water in the pan to steam, maybe salt water.

ONe thing I can see is that a clam bake may need to be on the beach, to get the "whole feeling" and such. Wife is going to pick up some clams at the store, I bet they are quahogs, but won't know for sure. I hope she calls when at the store.

We have never had clams, and a clam bake sounds as much fun as a crawdad boil(we've had many).

Crawdad boils are fun, and I'm assum'n that clambakes are the same. The $$$ is my big question, is it worth the cost.

Thanks freddy, our family must vacation to cape cod sometime.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:11 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,215,840 times
You can do a clambake in a large pot-just layer everything starting with potatoes, sausage (kielbasa), corn-just keep layering.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post

Wife is going to pick up some clams at the store, I bet they are quahogs, but won't know for sure.
If you are going to use quahogs, make sure you get the littleneck or cherrystone size. Anything bigger gets pretty tough and is only useful ground up in chowder.

When I was a teenager we used to make money digging quahogs in Narragansett bay. We did it at low tide with our feet. They don't live very deep so we just walked along in the water water and felt for them with our toes. Then we would just reach down and pick them up and put them into a bushel basket we pulled behind us in an inner tube. I think we got something like three dollars a bushel for them.

When the tide came in, the guys in boats with tongs and long rakes took over as they could reach a lot deeper than we could.

Eventually commercial mechanical dredgers took over and decimated the quahog population. I haven't been back East for many years so I don't what the situation is now. I wouldn't be surprised if the quahogs you get in the store are imported or farm raised.

I haven't eaten one for over 50 years, but I sure would like to.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,136,966 times
Here's an example of retail mark up. My FIL is digging clams in Maine for $1 a pound right now.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Looks like I have cherrystone clams and a 2.25# lobster that I think the kids want to keep as a pet.

Got some research to do before supper. Any simple ideas I'd appreciate. I plan on steam'n and go from there.......we'll see, I guess.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:47 AM

Over cooked the lobster, but was still some of the best we've ever had. Over cooked the clams but everyone liked them. I steamed them on top of the lobster, then put diced onion/celery/tomatoes/garlic and topped w/cheese. Then put in oven on broil till cheese melted, little longer than that I guess, went faster than I planned.

Was all real good. Clams were too tough to eat whole, cut in 1/2 or 1/4's and was real good. Kids had a good time look'n at the lobster and clams, they'll remember that far longer than the meal itself.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:49 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,215,840 times
Most important things-a good time was had by all and your kids had a wonderful experience from a loving Dad. A memory that will last them a lifetime.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 AM

Capt,

Overcooking the clams will sure make them tough.

Here's how I like to steam them:

Bring the water to a boil first then put the clams in the steamer.
Cook them only long enough for the shells to open which usually takes 6 or 7 minutes.
Get a little cup of the steaming liquid and some melted butter.
Take the clam out of the shell, swish it in the hot liquid to rinse off any sand that might have been inside the shell.
Dip it into the melted butter and pop it into your mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink