U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:32 PM

13,692 posts, read 24,837,099 times

Advertisements

I have a sweet friend who is always bringing me gifts. Sometimes very odd gifts. His last present was a frozen chicken. Nothing he does surprises me so I just said thank you and put the chicken in the freezer. In a way it makes perfect sense. He came over for dinner so he brought me another dinner.

A couple days ago I was cruising the freezer looking for dinner and there was the chicken. When I put it in the fridge to thaw, I noticed the price. He paid $17 for a single chicken! Seriously, I have paid a lot less than that for a turkey. I can get 3 chickens for less than that. Who pays $17 for a chicken?

Sure enough, it's organic and free range. Something I never buy because it's so much more expensive. I am a cheap cook. $5 will buy 10lbs of leg quarters at Winco. And the Hispanic grocery stores often sell them cheaper. I am expecting great things from that $17 chicken. Decided to just roast it with salt and pepper. Plain. I want to taste the chicken so I know what I have been missing.

What a disappointment! It tasted like...chicken. Not at all different. Shoot for $17 it should have cleaned and stuffed itself and jumped in the oven. I have half of it left. I am going to use it to make green chicken chili. Oh well. Maybe I was expecting too much! I am sure the chili will be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:08 PM

23,872 posts, read 4,914,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have a sweet friend who is always bringing me gifts. Sometimes very odd gifts. His last present was a frozen chicken. Nothing he does surprises me so I just said thank you and put the chicken in the freezer. In a way it makes perfect sense. He came over for dinner so he brought me another dinner.

A couple days ago I was cruising the freezer looking for dinner and there was the chicken. When I put it in the fridge to thaw, I noticed the price. He paid $17 for a single chicken! Seriously, I have paid a lot less than that for a turkey. I can get 3 chickens for less than that. Who pays $17 for a chicken?

Sure enough, it's organic and free range. Something I never buy because it's so much more expensive. I am a cheap cook. $5 will buy 10lbs of leg quarters at Winco. And the Hispanic grocery stores often sell them cheaper. I am expecting great things from that $17 chicken. Decided to just roast it with salt and pepper. Plain. I want to taste the chicken so I know what I have been missing.

What a disappointment! It tasted like...chicken. Not at all different. Shoot for $17 it should have cleaned and stuffed itself and jumped in the oven. I have half of it left. I am going to use it to make green chicken chili. Oh well. Maybe I was expecting too much! I am sure the chili will be great!

LOL.....I can see why you might expect more from a $17 chicken!

Poor friend, IMO, he was duped...did you tell him?

Old 03-14-2019, 03:57 PM

23,952 posts, read 22,935,855 times
My son once bought an expensive chicken. It was extremely good. It reminded me of the chicken that I'd eaten as a child. It reminded me why I used to like chicken. I can take or leave most of it these days.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:08 PM

17,893 posts, read 22,944,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

its SUPPOSE to taste better and you feel good about it..

ive done many taste tests of new chicken items... some organic and some not..

I would cook the chicken the same like a rotiserrie chicken label one organic and label one grade A

the results are interesting in rural areas where local means more than organic .it was 50/50 no discernable difference..

in more cities it was 80/20% in favor of the organic IF it was labeled organic.....if neither were labeled it was 50/50
and I put the organic label on the grade a . and again it was 80/20 because they wanted it to taste better ...some actually said they would never eat conventional again it tastes soooo much better (even tho it was conventional chicken)

i didnt post prices . but organic is often double the price of grade A

Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM

35,418 posts, read 53,907,657 times
I am not sure what's going on, but in THEORY a free range chicken that is out and about roaming free and eating whatever they were eating 50 years ago, growing on their own peace, SHOULD taste better than a chicken from a chicken farm where they are all stuffed in cages like sardines, never walk or see sunshine, get feed on high speed some special mix, perhaps some medications too to prevent diseases or whatever they do on those chicken farms.
Whoever still remember, knows that those chickens 50 years ago did taste better than the chickens from the commercial farms we get to buy now.
So, what's going on on those "organic" farms where chickens supposed to be raised free like ... 50 years ago?
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:50 PM

3,005 posts, read 1,161,182 times
The organic chickens near me definitely taste better than the factory farm chickens. And thankfully, I've never seen one that cost $17.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:12 PM

10,844 posts, read 17,231,744 times
Isn't that what an organic chicken at Whole Foods would cost? Anyway, that's what my mom would buy.

I'm much more of a meat cheapskate.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 PM

53,778 posts, read 52,747,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son once bought an expensive chicken. It was extremely good. It reminded me of the chicken that I'd eaten as a child. It reminded me why I used to like chicken. I can take or leave most of it these days.
Yes, didn't it once have so much more flavor?

Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 PM

35,418 posts, read 53,907,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, didn't it once have so much more flavor?
I noticed one thing - lots of people don't know anymore how real food taste like. When they travel outside the US they tend to come back and complain how horrible the food was and didn't taste like back home.
Maybe some people just are unable to distinguish better quality, or feel like it taste weird, because it's just different, and they can't decide if it's better or not.
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:38 AM

14,001 posts, read 23,485,199 times
One thing that will also affect the flavor of the chicken is the lack of culinary ability among many people in the US. Most people do not not take the time to properly season their dishes or cook it in the proper menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or