U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 09:48 PM

6,083 posts, read 1,755,706 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'll never end up there, but it's fun to read about.

The Family Business That Put Nashville Hot Chicken on the Map
An African-American-owned restaurant began making the spicy dish eighty years ago. Now it’s a viral sensation.

By Paige Williams

In November, Eater named Prince’s one of the thirty-eight essential places to dine in America... But for many diners the dish is an obsession. In a short documentary for the Southern Foodways Alliance, a Prince’s devotee describes hot chicken as “worse than dope” in its addictiveness...

Activities that may not pair well with Nashville hot chicken include a road trip, a long flight, a first date, work, sleep, and your wedding. First-timers have been advised to prepare for hot chicken by putting a roll of toilet paper in the freezer at home.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ken-on-the-map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 02:14 AM

14,026 posts, read 23,511,987 times
There are any number of restaurants that serve Nashville Hot Chicken. While Prince's is generally thought to be the first, There are many really good places.

Bolton's is probably one of the best. However, if you head to many of the restaurants, you will find many different versions.

Nashville is probably one of the best food towns in the US. Here is a link to a thread with some phenomenal restaurants with lots of pictures.

http://lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php...ilit=nashville

Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 AM

1,070 posts, read 423,320 times
Will second Bolton’s — place was a dump, but the food was excellent. Easier to reach from downtown as well, and reportedly in a better part of town than Prince’s, which is also supposed to be great.

Apparently there have been several other such places that have opened in Nashville recently. Haven’t been since then.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:10 AM

24,355 posts, read 4,975,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Okay, I'll never end up there, but it's fun to read about.

The Family Business That Put Nashville Hot Chicken on the Map
An African-American-owned restaurant began making the spicy dish eighty years ago. Now it’s a viral sensation.

By Paige Williams

In November, Eater named Prince’s one of the thirty-eight essential places to dine in America... But for many diners the dish is an obsession. In a short documentary for the Southern Foodways Alliance, a Prince’s devotee describes hot chicken as “worse than dope” in its addictiveness...

Activities that may not pair well with Nashville hot chicken include a road trip, a long flight, a first date, work, sleep, and your wedding. First-timers have been advised to prepare for hot chicken by putting a roll of toilet paper in the freezer at home.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ken-on-the-map

Interesting! Never heard of it but would love to give it a taste!!

Old 03-18-2019, 02:06 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,236,633 times
I have seen them popping up on food blogs and such and it sounds so good.

Unfortunately the one I had (at a non-Nashville based) chain restaurant, the Yard House, was so-so. I can see what it was supposed to be, but the execution was not great. For starters the piece of chicken was tiny so the sandwich was more bread and coleslaw than chicken. Also, it was served on a brioche bun with coleslaw on it which I gather is not the traditional serving method.

One of these days I need to find a good one or make it myself.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:24 PM

6,083 posts, read 1,755,706 times
Default The famous Hot Chicken

I'm too "chicken" for anything like this, but it's still interesting to read about. Any of you been there?

modcut

Last edited by Beretta; Today at 06:43 PM.. Reason: duplicate; threads merged

Old 03-20-2019, 09:45 PM

1,579 posts, read 1,441,112 times
Yeah it's really good and most locals including myself probably rate it as the best hot chicken in town. It's legitimately really good, you don't have to punish yourself with the heat. I typically get mild anytime I get hot chicken. It's still hot but not crazy. That being said....

https://youtu.be/u9ztecYHFwU

I'm blanking on how to embed youtube videos

Old 03-20-2019, 10:25 PM

3,239 posts, read 2,910,935 times
There’s a serious debate as to whether it’s the best (IMO, no). There’s a hot chicken aficionado Facebook page and on there the most popular seems to be 400 Defrees and Slow Burn in Madison. Pepperfire isn’t too bad either.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:12 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,512,347 times
400 Degrees is my favorite. They recently started serving beer as well.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:22 AM

3,717 posts, read 6,906,657 times
+1 for 400 Degrees. Not only is the chicken as good or better than Prince's, Aqui Hines has great customer service skills and really enjoys your patronage. I haven't been to the new place yet, but it sounds like she is doing all the right things. I grew tired of the attitude at Prince's (didn't mind the wait but didn't care for the "take it or leave it" mantra) and made 400 Degrees my go-to after that.

Brad Schmitt & co. at the Tennessean did a ranking of the top 5 in Nashville and put 400 Degrees at 3, Prince's at 2, and Moore's in Hendersonville at 1. Which surprised me. I certainly agree with their Hattie B's take...the last time I went I took some out-of-towners thinking it was a safer introduction to Hot Chicken. We all left underwhelmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink