Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 01:59 PM

20,818 posts, read 28,136,000 times

Advertisements

Never ate oysters raw but had Oyster rockafellar and they were delicious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 02:52 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,896,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Kidding aside, oysters are delicious. I like them virtually all ways: raw, steamed, friend, and even the ones with cheese and herbs at Chinese buffets. They are, in fact, just large clams.
That's like saying giraffes are just horses with long necks, or zebras are just horses with stripes. They're totally different families of bivalve - and there are multiple oyster species, as well as multiple clam species.

Clams and oysters taste different to me, and have a different texture. Ditto with mussels (aka "muscles"), scallops, etc. I'm kind of partial to mussels, myself. Some say the different species of oysters or clams have their own unique taste, but I've never had the opportunity to do a comparison.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,108,685 times
big difference between clams and oysters. I am an oyster stew girl myself. I am from Cape Cod so very familiar with all forms of shellfish The best fried clams can be found at Cook's Seafood on the Cape. I also love old fashioned Quahog chowder, tastes way better than regular clam chowder though that is good also. My grandfather and great grandfather were lighthouse keeps so they were very familiar with good seafood.
The great Cape Cod seafood is what I miss most now that I live in upper WV.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:13 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,941,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
What! Has no one ever had a fried oyster Po'Boy?

had my last one for a while as I was getting on the road to leave NOLA 18 days ago.....

Old 03-21-2019, 04:32 PM

17,320 posts, read 13,051,905 times
I love any shellfish. Cooked anyway (steamed, grilled, raw)

Old 03-21-2019, 04:34 PM

19,957 posts, read 29,996,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
big difference between clams and oysters. I am an oyster stew girl myself. I am from Cape Cod so very familiar with all forms of shellfish The best fried clams can be found at Cook's Seafood on the Cape. I also love old fashioned Quahog chowder, tastes way better than regular clam chowder though that is good also. My grandfather and great grandfather were lighthouse keeps so they were very familiar with good seafood.
The great Cape Cod seafood is what I miss most now that I live in upper WV.
lighthouse keeps....always thought that would be a unique rewarding lifestyle..maybe lonely at times.... lots of history !!

Old 03-21-2019, 04:36 PM

19,957 posts, read 29,996,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I love any shellfish. Cooked anyway (steamed, grilled, raw)
growing up on the maine coast...my brother and I use to dare each other to eat raw.....clams...mussels ...and other sea creatures...

Old 03-21-2019, 08:32 PM

16,826 posts, read 14,983,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
That's like saying giraffes are just horses with long necks, or zebras are just horses with stripes. They're totally different families of bivalve - and there are multiple oyster species, as well as multiple clam species.

Clams and oysters taste different to me, and have a different texture. Ditto with mussels (aka "muscles"), scallops, etc. I'm kind of partial to mussels, myself. Some say the different species of oysters or clams have their own unique taste, but I've never had the opportunity to do a comparison.
I didn't mean it literally. To me, they are similar in the same way that quail is similar to chicken is similar to turkey. I don't find that they taste that different as much as they have different textures. Well, mussels are more like duck vs chicken, but clams and oysters have a similar taste to me.

Re: zebra/horse: Did you know you can breed horses with zebras?

Old 03-21-2019, 10:52 PM

32,759 posts, read 35,962,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I stay away from this clam, it looks disgusting. Never had it even in Japanese restaurant.
I've only eaten it in a Japanese restaurant.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:30 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,058,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
lighthouse keeps....always thought that would be a unique rewarding lifestyle..maybe lonely at times.... lots of history !!
Probably not so much when Seminoles attack.

July 23, 1836 - Cape Florida Lighthouse attacked by Seminoles - Florida History Network - Your one-stop source for celebrating and preserving Florida's past, today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink