U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 10:39 PM

15,524 posts, read 17,750,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've had bad food poisoning too many times.
I would much rather toss out food that's been sitting too long than take the chance of illness.

Sure, you won't get sick 9 times out of 10, but that 10th one is awful.
If basing this on the most common recommendations, I am not getting a 9 out of 10 average but something more along the lines of a 19,999 out of 20,000 average. Which is to day I have had maybe one serious (puking and/or diarrheah) episode in 40+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 11:40 PM

9,172 posts, read 3,012,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
When my family moved back to US from Thailand when I was a boy I discovered the glory of the mighty sandwich in USA. I remember early in the morning my Mom would pack a bologna sandwich with mayo and cheese for my school lunch. I'd take it in my Scooby-Doo lunch box and like the rest of the kids stash it somewhere until lunch break at about noon. 5-6 hours, no refrigeration, nobody got sick, no problems.

Fast forward 30 years and I had coworkers packing ice in their thermal-safe lunch containers just so their sandwich survives the 30 minute commute to work where it can be stored in the fridge.

Craziness.
Every day when I was in high school, my mom would pack me a sack lunch. A couple of sandwiches with some kind of meat and cheese in them, with her home-made mayonnaise that contained raw eggs. A piece of fruit and a container with a casserole dish. They sat unrefrigerated for several hours in my locker. Those lunches never made me sick, because I threw them all away and bought food in the cafeteria.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:23 AM

1,227 posts, read 307,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Every day when I was in high school, my mom would pack me a sack lunch. A couple of sandwiches with some kind of meat and cheese in them, with her home-made mayonnaise that contained raw eggs. A piece of fruit and a container with a casserole dish. They sat unrefrigerated for several hours in my locker. Those lunches never made me sick, because I threw them all away and bought food in the cafeteria.
That truly sounds paranoid. With the exception of seafood, we leave food out over night all the time and I usually have it for breakfast in the morning, never had any issues.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:43 AM

3,521 posts, read 1,606,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That's an awful waste of food, and hurtful to your mother if she found out. Why didn't you just tell her you preferred cafeteria lunches, or that you had no place to keep them safe/refrigerated?

I know in elementary and middle school, you can get teased for bringing a "weird" lunch, and your safest bet is to buy it in the cafeteria. But in high school, no one cares what you eat. Not necessarily because people are more mature, but because they actually don't care. Not to mention, today's school lunches are crap, due to #ThanksMichelleObama and her lunch requirements.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:44 AM

72,014 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Totally agree. I ignore all that stuff. Like with my clothes, I do the appearance and smell test, LOL.

If it's cooked, I'll eat it a week or more. I am enjoying some cocoa powder now that I just noticed is 3 years past sell-date. I'll let you know what happens.

You can be certain that all this "guideline" propaganda is profit-driven. Follow the money.
agree with you and OP: I think there are too many studies or whatever you want to call them that are out there to scare us into throwing out everything. It is the same with when to discard canned or frozen, uncooked foods or even with fresh food in the the fridge. I don't know their agenda, but I think most of s can rely on common sense and the smell, taste test. For those who feel uncomfortable with eating older foods, they can throw them out. I will continue my habits. It is the same with how long to keep foods in the freezer, the quality many differ from I am a believer that if frozen when I buy it or as soon as I get home, foods are safe for a heck of a lot longer time than we are told. If this bothers some of you, don't come to my house for dinner or if you do, please don't ask me how long that Easter ham has been in the freezer?

Old 04-01-2019, 08:00 AM

13,941 posts, read 7,422,661 times
My girlfriend tosses anything that is even remotely old. Leftovers beyond a couple days. Anything beyond the expiration date. She has a nose like a bloodhound. If she thinks something smells remotely off, it gets tossed.

I'm from the school of "scrape off the green bits and it's fine".

I'm fairly careful with food handling.... particularly chicken, fish, and raw egg foods. Anything raw chicken touches gets washed.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:37 AM

5,215 posts, read 2,342,563 times
Well, each person is free to ignore what microbiology tells us, or not. Just don't expect me to eat the food you've left sitting out at room temperature all day.

If you have ever seen geometric increase in bacteria, you may re-think the macho attitude.

And, do keep in mind that past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:59 AM

1,048 posts, read 961,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've had bad food poisoning too many times.
I would much rather toss out food that's been sitting too long than take the chance of illness.

Sure, you won't get sick 9 times out of 10, but that 10th one is awful.
ONLY 2 times I got food poisoning was at restaurants. It made me feel like dying.
That being said I just thawed a slab of salmon in my sink x 2 hrs and then put in the refrigerator for this evening's dinner. I ate a yogurt, kept in my 37-degree refrigerator, that was 2 months past the 'use by' date. It was yummy. I rarely go by those dates BUT I do want restaurants to follow restaurant rules for cooking and storage of foods. I made my son get a job in food service during HS and he was sent to classes in food safety (restaurant safety). Now he discards tons of foods because of the dates on the packages.
My mom used to put frozen foods in the sink when she left for work and they were there all day (more than 8 hrs) then cooked them for dinner. We were never 'poisoned'. I personally would not let mine sit out that long but I do sink thaw. We also didn't see food recalls like we do today but that may be due to social media and the widespread availability of knowledge of such. I eat lettuce every day but I wash it first regardless of what the packaging says. I'm not telling anyone what to do with their foods, just sharing what I still do and I have made it to age 66 alive & well.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:24 AM

1,048 posts, read 961,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Honestly I have never heard of "3 days 2 hours" guideline. I keep food in my fridge until I know it is time to throw it out. Period.

I am 63 and healthy as a horse.
My Southern Granny cooked her family meals at 'dinner' time (1p-3p) and they ate some of the food then and some of it for their supper when the men got home (warmed up again). I never saw her put much of the food in the fridge but none of us got sick from any foods she ever cooked, either. I never saw her leave any salad type mayo foods out, but cooked/baked foods she sure did.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:30 PM

72,014 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My girlfriend tosses anything that is even remotely old. Leftovers beyond a couple days. Anything beyond the expiration date. She has a nose like a bloodhound. If she thinks something smells remotely off, it gets tossed.

I'm from the school of "scrape off the green bits and it's fine".

I'm fairly careful with food handling.... particularly chicken, fish, and raw egg foods. Anything raw chicken touches gets washed.
again in agreement: I am very careful with poultry and fish. But I am also not paranoid about fixing something that could be a bit outdated and knives are great for cutting away the green on cheese. Probably the same could be said about bread, but I don't use it if it has started to mold at all or not if I notice it is molding anyway. Of course we really don't eat a lot of bread and I gave it up altogether for lent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or