U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 12:37 PM

71,968 posts, read 83,656,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've had bad food poisoning too many times.
I would much rather toss out food that's been sitting too long than take the chance of illness.

Sure, you won't get sick 9 times out of 10, but that 10th one is awful.
Most of us have battled food poisoning at least once in our lives, but there is a difference between totally bad food of with one bad ingredient and adhering to what the so called experts tell us. food poisoning ofter comes more from mishandled foods than honest spoiled foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 12:41 PM

1,208 posts, read 437,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If those stats are acceptable to you, keep doing what you're doing, then. Most people I know have never made themselves sick because of improper food handling procedures in their home kitchens, and those who have learned from their mistakes and changed their ways as a result.
I prepare food with a decent regard for safety.
I do not overcook my meats.. even my pork is pinkish.
I don't leave proteins (ex cheese) out overnight .. ever.. I live in South Florida.
That said, my excellent nose for spoilage informs me when to eat old food, which is often beyond when most others would toss it.

Example:
I ate a brownie I found in a ski jacket ... in August!
It was still good, so I ate it.
It was delicious.
.. and I did not get sick or die!

BUT I LIVE ON THE EDGE!

Old 04-01-2019, 12:49 PM

71,968 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Where do you get this stuff? Who claims food should be thrown away after three days in the refrigerator? Who says that anything should be thrown away after two hours at room temperature? Some foods should never be refrigerated - when do you throw them away? How long does a cookie last? An apple?

And where did you get the idea that restaurants throw away 40% of the food they handle? They'd all be out of business if that was the case. How did you come to the conclusion that there is a profit motive by anyone in spreading these "rules" you've created?
do enough research and yow will find these numbers pretty close to what OP posted/ The suggested time or keeping foods is unbelievably short and probably totally off base. Yes, restaurants often throw out almsot 1/2 of what they have prepared.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 PM

21,812 posts, read 27,859,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
do enough research and yow will find these numbers pretty close to what OP posted/ The suggested time or keeping foods is unbelievably short and probably totally off base. Yes, restaurants often throw out almsot 1/2 of what they have prepared.
I don't think you understand the extremely slim profit margins most restaurants operate on.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:30 PM

18,360 posts, read 23,537,072 times
Different world today
in this world of social media and yelp
one complaint of either spoiled food or getting sick.....can kill a restaurant or store..
one employee I know of got fired for coming in to work ….. after drinking on his lunch hour (he was warned)
he made up a fake facebook account and screamed spoiled pork ...and how "she" got sick all over social media

just saying businesses are being overly zealous on sanitation.... dating practices

I can tell you firsthand sanitation practices are 10x better today in grocery stores than 30 years ago.

my pet peeve is customers buying meat from a store...… when its hot ….and stopping a couple other places not going directly home.....not having a cooler and the product warms up in the hot car

Old 04-01-2019, 06:57 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,766,106 times
For anyone who just cuts the mold off their fruit and cheeses, you may want to discontinue that practice. Mold sends out long "arms" and just because you cut off what's visible doesn't mean you're getting it all.

In the old days meat wasn't that big of a problem. It was salted down, dehydrated, or smoked and we didn't used to feed sheep brains or antibiotics to cattle 100 years ago, either.

Also, I'm not sure there was as much ground meat 100 years ago as there is today. When you ground meat at a packing house, that meat can come from a carload of different cows. In fact, if only one cow is sick, it can contaminate 8 tons of hamburger. That's why hamburger recalls are so large.

Food didn't used to come from out of the country either. Even back in the mid-80s, I remember going back to South Dakota to visit my parents and wondering why they didn't have certain fruits and vegetables in the stores (this was February). To my mom, this was normal. What I was asking for wasn't in season. Now, of course, all the stores ship in food from around the globe. When was the last time you were able to get fresh caught shrimp instead of farmed shrimp from Vietnam?

Old 04-02-2019, 08:03 AM

6,504 posts, read 4,085,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
For anyone who just cuts the mold off their fruit and cheeses, you may want to discontinue that practice. Mold sends out long "arms" and just because you cut off what's visible doesn't mean you're getting it all.
For bread, soft fruit and soft cheese like cottage cheese, this is correct. For hard cheese and hard fruits and vegetables like carrots or potatoes it isn't. Mold can't penetrate far into hard surfaces. It's perfectly safe to cut the mold off hard cheese and eat the rest.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:42 PM

15,523 posts, read 17,745,743 times
Throwing away food bcause it has passed some arbitrary date or time is the anti-vaxx of the food world.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM

39,632 posts, read 2,991,249 times
My favorite cheeses is Stilton or Gorgonzola. full of mold.

I pay no attention to the dates & will eat it as long as it looks & smells ok. I do not belive I have ever had food poisoning, of course I have had stomach upsets, but normally in conjunction with some other illness, or activity.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:14 PM

6,973 posts, read 3,872,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

If you're saying half the food prepared in restaurants gets thrown out because people don't eat it when it's served that's one thing but if you believe half the food never gets served, I'd say you got your information from places that are, or soon will be, out of business.

His other numbers are equally faulty but citations to prove me wrong would always be welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or