Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

May I comment on the ziplock, double and triple zip lock and vacuum bags for our
food that is meant to take us to the 22nd century...instead just for lunch the next day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 11:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Also, just a story for this group...Rod Rodriquez, a complainer that Ernest H. kept his jalopy too long in back of his restaurant in Key West...
said to me ...Nobody used to get sick until they brought the water pipeline from the mainland...When we caught rain water and tossed anything that died in it away...none of us got sick.
Now we all have runny noses and hankies we blow our noses in...

Pretty much verbatim....he may have said, "...if a cat"....

He'd have a 6-7 ft grouper dumped outside the back kitchen screen door, at it's middle it was as big around as my sister's waistline ....and that was the fish on special
for a few weeks...tell me THAT didn't take a while in the FL heat to cut up! Ha!

Old 03-31-2019, 01:24 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Where do you get this stuff? Who claims food should be thrown away after three days in the refrigerator? Who says that anything should be thrown away after two hours at room temperature? Some foods should never be refrigerated - when do you throw them away? How long does a cookie last? An apple?
The USDA recommends following the 2-40-140 rule. If cooked or easily spoiled food has been left out for 2 hours in temperatures between 40 and 140 degrees, bacteria have had a great place to grow, and the food should be tossed out.

Here's their .pdf about food safety:
https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

Old 03-31-2019, 01:33 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
When I toss food depends upon what it is.

However, I don't want to eat at a restaurant that cooks a casserole first thing in the morning and leaves it sitting out on the counter until they sell the last serving at midnight.

How carefully food is prepared also affects how long it is safe to store it.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:56 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Unless you grow all your own produce, grind your own flour from home-grown grain, milk your own cows, collect eggs from your own chickens, and butcher your own meat, I highly doubt that everything you eat is as fresh as you claim.

If you buy ANY food, safety and quality are an issue. I'm one who happens to think it is a very minor issue if you buy from trusted sources, and I never throw anything away unless it actually rots. But I'm not under the delusion that eggs or apples from a store or even the farmer's market are as "fresh" as they could be or that it's impossible that something could be contaminated.
Even if you do, that's till no guarantee. That teenage girl in the UK got variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease from a cow that a local butcher owned and killed.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:07 PM

1,517 posts, read 990,994 times
Yes. Absolutely they are. I ignore these little "rules" and if it doesn't look or smell off then it's fine. Why should I waste perfectly edible food just because big money says I must?

Funny, you never heard about your grandparents or great-grandparents contracing ptomaine and dropping dead at the table from milk and dairy left sitting out on the porch for hours in the sun because they missed the milkman.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:30 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Exactly! That's the rule I follow; also add "taste normal" to the list. Even so, I still err on the side of caution, and promptly refrigerate anything I just cooked. (Today, it was gnocchi with chicken and mushrooms.)
But to know if something tastes "normal" you obviously have to take a bite which makes it a crummy test. My rule is usually a week in the fridge and if I've made such a big batch of something that I might not finish it in that time I freeze 1/3 or 1/2 of it right away. Certainly it's almost as easy to nuke a leftover as to pull it out of the fridge so I haven't lost much of the convenience.

As for leaving stuff on the counter, I've always eaten leftover pizza for breakfast and often will eat the second half of a big deli sandwich (no mayo though) for dinner after having the first of it for lunch. Some things heat up very poorly and can sit out for a few hours with no issue. Cakes and fruit pies can be out for several days if covered up well.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:39 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I wonder if the misconception that mayonnaise is responsible for a lot of food poisoning will ever die.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:57 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
I wonder if the misconception that mayonnaise is responsible for a lot of food poisoning will ever die.
Well, it depends on if the mayo has raw eggs? Nobody uses real mayo any more anyway...Oh, I wouldn't leave seafood salad out, real mayo or not.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:58 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
You can't make people without common sense to make sense... I gave up long time ago, because those people are resistant to pragmatism. I just try not to be around them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink