Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 09:59 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times

Advertisements

Another fan of Dukes. Grew up on it and even though I've been stationed in places where I couldn't get it, I'm finally back in Dukes country.

My mother in law was a Miracle Whip person, though Lord knows why. Though she'd never call it by it's name. She always said "salad dressing." Confused the heck out of me when my wife and I had just gotten married and her mother asked us to get salad dressing at the store. I said sure and asked what kind -- Thousand Island, French, Ranch? -- and she said no, not that, salad dressing. So she went to the store with us and when we got the mayonnaise aisle, she pointed and I said, "oh you want mayonnaise." "No, not mayonnaise, salad dressing" leaving me even more confused. She picked up a jar and said "salad dressing." Me, finally figuring out what she was talking about said "Oh Miracle Whip." "No, salad dressing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I've never understood Miracle Whip. It's considered a salad dressing? Do people really put it on their salads?
Salad in the macaroni salad, chicken salad, ham salad context.

I personally feel all those things are terrible when made with Miracle Whip, but some people use it.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:50 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Where we used to live it was Helmann's. Here in Colorado the same thing is called Best Foods.
Same! Grew up with Helmann's in Jersey and then it was "Best Foods"

Miracle Whip is of the devil.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:56 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not necessarily. Eastern NC BBQ, for example, is vinegar based. Definitely not sweet. Whereas other parts of the country (even other parts of the state) prefer a sweeter thicker BBQ sauce.
I meant compared to Northern equivalents. There is no Northern equivalent to barbecue as barbecue is exclusively a Southern* cuisine.

*KC excepted.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:09 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I meant compared to Northern equivalents. There is no Northern equivalent to barbecue as barbecue is exclusively a Southern* cuisine.

*KC excepted.
Because no one in the north grills or smokes meat?

Old 04-12-2019, 01:17 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I eat Hellmann's (Best Foods), but I hear so much good about Duke's, so I would like to try it.

I am mainly fascinated by the fact that Duke's is a Southern food with a loyal fan base that is not sweet. It seems that Southern food is always much, much sweeter than it's Northern counterpart, even adding sugar where no sugar at all would appear in a Northern recipe, but Duke's seems to be the exception to that rule.

Though it must be said, even though Hellmann's lists sugar on its label, it doesn't taste particularly sweetened to me, I just assume that they use a bit of sugar to balance the acidity of the lemon/vinegar.

There is a lot of ambiguity in this thread concerning mayonnaise vs. Miracle Whip vs. salad cream.

To say that Miracle Whip is a salad dressing with the implication that mayonnaise is not would be incorrect. They are all conceived as sauces to be used as salad dressings.

To answer the question, "It's considered a salad dressing? Do people really put it on their salads?", Yes. People do put it on their salads, usually combined with other ingredients to create salad dressings known as Ranch Dressing, Blue Cheese, Thousand Island, Caesar Salad, Russian Dressing, and many others.

Salad dressings like mayonnaise and Miracle whip can also be used as is or with minor modification on chunkier, non leaf based salads like tuna salad, potato salad, shrimp salad, eggs salad, an so forth.
The bolded is true. My southern mother rotated a salad made simply of lettuce/tomatoes/onions dressed with mayo, salt and pepper. It's quite good.

She also made a salad of lettuce/tomato/onion/tuna dressed with mayo, salt, pepper and sugar. Also, quite good if made with fresh tomatoes.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:23 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Interesting. I've never had Salad Cream, but my homemade mayonnaise does contain a small amount of dry mustard. I think most home recipes do.
In the UK, if you order salad in a modest restaurant, it will come with "salad cream", not with anything that we would recognize as salad dressing. In more upscale places, you can get a vinaigrette.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
What is yours?

I'm from the south, so it's Duke's for me.
I grew up in the south, so it was always Duke's for me.

Then I moved north and couldn't find it. For several years I had my mom send it to me or brought it back with me when I went home.

I'm surprised I never had a jar break and ruin a suitcase full of clothes lol.

At some point, I got tired of hauling it back with me and started using Hellmans.

When we retired south again, I thought yippee can buy Dukes now. Bought some and wasn't really that crazy about it anymore, so I went back to Hellman's.

I can eat either one, but now I buy Hellman's. Interestingly enough, my mother and sister now buy Hellmans as well.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Salad in the macaroni salad, chicken salad, ham salad context.

I personally feel all those things are terrible when made with Miracle Whip, but some people use it.
I despise Miracle Whip. Something about it being to sweet and too vinegary at the same time. Not sure.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:30 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
In the UK, if you order salad in a modest restaurant, it will come with "salad cream", not with anything that we would recognize as salad dressing. In more upscale places, you can get a vinaigrette.
What is the deal with salad in the UK? We went to a nice restaurant on tour, and a small bowl of spring greens, with a light vinaigrette, was placed on the table...one per 4 people. We all kind of looked at it until someone figured it out. It was about half the size of one American salad. We were in the country which was verdant, so growing lettuce is not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink