U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 PM

1,013 posts, read 538,539 times

Advertisements

They're certainly no miracle product but cooking for one or two people quickly and efficiently is their wheelhouse. Not having to fire up the oven and quick cleanup(mine has the N/S copper coating) makes cooking less of a hassle for us. Cooking frozen convenience products is also a pleasure with an air fryer. Want a fresh baked soft pretzel or one serving of Nathan'e french fries? Can do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 06:08 AM

2,992 posts, read 1,994,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
They're certainly no miracle product but cooking for one or two people quickly and efficiently is their wheelhouse. Not having to fire up the oven and quick cleanup(mine has the N/S copper coating) makes cooking less of a hassle for us. Cooking frozen convenience products is also a pleasure with an air fryer. Want a fresh baked soft pretzel or one serving of Nathan'e french fries? Can do!

Also: the ahhhh! factor of not having to heat up the entire kitchen in the summer. I have a NuWave oven that works well for these things, too, and it's even easier to clean.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:59 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,337,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Air fryers are great. We've got two.
I've got 2 also. Love them!

Old 04-20-2019, 06:07 AM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I've got 2 also. Love them!
I am hoping to pick one up at a garage sale or flea market one of these days. I could use 2 of them. Often when I am about to start dinner I think of how nice it would be to have 2, instead of just the one.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Pretty much the same complaints were hear constantly; it's just a gimmicy convection oven that doesn't really "fry" the food.

Much cheaper to just buy a wok and deep fry properly.
of course it doesn't fry the foods, but it gives the fried food effect and with much less calories and much faster. You may not see the advantage but I am not sure I agree with your advise. In fact I know I don't.
Do you still use yours or have you even had one?

Old 06-10-2019, 10:32 PM

14,197 posts, read 23,882,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course it doesn't fry the foods, but it gives the fried food effect and with much less calories and much faster. You may not see the advantage but I am not sure I agree with your advise. In fact I know I don't.

And there is a lot less clean up.

Use mine for the first time this past Saturday. I made two batches of wings and they turned out very good. The second batch was a lot better. I will try it again on Wednesday with Chicken parmesan.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And there is a lot less clean up.

Use mine for the first time this past Saturday. I made two batches of wings and they turned out very good. The second batch was a lot better. I will try it again on Wednesday with Chicken parmesan.
did chicken in mine last week. I was watching an infomercial over the week end for one that actually had different trays and resembled a toaster oven, but all I could think was: would it be more like a confection oven than an air fryer?

Old 06-11-2019, 12:43 PM

12,706 posts, read 8,634,567 times
Nothing like hot oil fried foods especially using lard or coconut oils to fry. It's crispier and crunchier than using air fryers or fried with corn oil which tastes horrible.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:41 PM

13,901 posts, read 19,073,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course it doesn't fry the foods, but it gives the fried food effect and with much less calories and much faster.
Frying foods adds about 15% fat content on average. If you make a conservative estimate that an air fryer only adds 5% or so, you're only looking at a 10% difference. Hardly that noteworthy and could easily be compensated for with a smaller portion size and/or less frequent consumption of fried foods.

Quote:
You may not see the advantage but I am not sure I agree with your advise. In fact I know I don't.
Which part don't you agree with? I do my deep frying in a $35 carbon steel wok and can guarantee you that it gives far superior results to even the best air fryer, plus it is incredibly versatile and can be used for other tasks. Even the cheapest air fryers are roughly double that price and far less versatile.

Quote:
I have never purchased an air fryer but I have used them and found them inferior to traditional frying.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:13 PM

58,052 posts, read 40,801,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post

Which part don't you agree with? I do my deep frying in a $35 carbon steel wok and can guarantee you that it gives far superior results to even the best air fryer, plus it is incredibly versatile and can be used for other tasks. Even the cheapest air fryers are roughly double that price and far less versatile.

Nah, I ordered a fairly large (3.2L) one from Amazon today that had good reviews and a 50% off coupon, $29.99 and free shipping. I like deep fried foods myself, but if I can come close without the oil splattering, need to filter and store it, and expense of the oil itself I can get my deep fry fix when I go out to eat.

As they do, Amazon changes prices frequently, the coupon is apparently no longer available but this is what I ordered for $29.99, I'm sure I'll find something to do with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Secura-Capaci...-garden&sr=1-2

Last edited by burdell; 06-11-2019 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink