U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 07:51 PM

9,181 posts, read 9,156,037 times

Advertisements

I love when someone checks things out.

Does the Air Fryer Deliver on Its Golden Promise?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/01/d...r-recipes.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 11:25 PM

14,197 posts, read 23,882,514 times
C'mon, do you really expect that a NYT food writer would like an air fryer? Or a chain restaurant? Or a home cooked down home meal?

There are any number of reviews on YouTube that also should be considered including one from another skeptic:

Air Fryer CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN! - I HAVE TO EAT CROW! - The Wolfe Pit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMpBasAW60Q

As for me, I just purchased a Farberware 3.2L Air Fryer this past weekend. Starting next week, there will be several of us testing the machine over the next couple of months to see what it does well and what it does not do well. It is the first new appliance that I have purchased since 1984 other than the toaster fiasco.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 AM

114,159 posts, read 53,997,969 times
Air fryers are great. We've got two.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:10 PM

13,896 posts, read 19,073,459 times
Pretty much the same complaints were hear constantly; it's just a gimmicy convection oven that doesn't really "fry" the food.

Much cheaper to just buy a wok and deep fry properly.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Pretty much the same complaints were hear constantly; it's just a gimmicy convection oven that doesn't really "fry" the food.

Much cheaper to just buy a wok and deep fry properly.

And ADDS all the additional fats that most people are trying to avoid by buying an air fryer.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:52 PM

18,278 posts, read 23,403,969 times
jlawrence is right... not going to get a good review...from them

I use mine a lot......I think its essentially a broiler because the heating element is at the top….and yes some convection..

but....I like the quick cleanup... and its very quick cooking

I cook steaks...ribs chicken ….egg... pork chops....
I like it a lot use it much more than my instapot

for 50.00 its one of my favorite gadgets

Old 04-11-2019, 10:01 PM

6,762 posts, read 3,662,854 times
We use ours a good bit. Don't care that it's not really frying in oil since that's kind of the point. Cooks quickly, does a good job, and cleans up easily.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

I use mine a lot......I think its essentially a broiler because the heating element is at the top….and yes some convection..

We are going to start working on it on Monday. There are three of us with different ideas as to what we would like to see the beast do. The first item we are going to try is your standard Buffalo chicken wing with a gorgonzola sauce. Then, we will try some french fries.

We will probably fave hive days of 3 course Air Fryer meals.

I am somewhat tempted to make videos so that I can send it off to a few people who want to see whether this machine will work well.

My problem is that I will have to document the recipes that I use as I tend to never make a meal the same way twice.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:56 AM

1,913 posts, read 975,087 times
I bought one before Christmas on the advice of a friend and just used it this week. I made chicken thighs breaded in parmesan and almond flour. They were great!

I'm not trying to avoid fat. I forgot that the youtube cooks I watch spray things with Pam or some other oil so I didn't have any on hand. I drizzled my chicken with melted butter but I don't think it was necessary...... though it was delicious, evenly browned and crispy. My cheese and nut breading appeared to brown much better than white flour.

It was very easy to clean up.

I chose not to buy a traditional cook stove when I moved so I can see myself using this often. I want to try baking bread in it. I especially like that I can use it on the porch. The air fryer vents its steamy grease out the back. And I like the suction cup feet which prevent it from sliding around.

I hope you will report to us jlawrence01

Old 04-12-2019, 02:05 PM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

I like it a lot use it much more than my instapot

Well mine was more than $50 but regardless, like you, I do so many things with it and use almost no fat. OK, so it doesn't brown everything quite like frying, but the benefits and as you said, the clean up makes it the best kitchen appliance I think we have ever had. I agree about the insta pot as well. I do like it, am glad I have it,but I use and enjoy my air fryer more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink