Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,427,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My mom would make a bløtkake: a yellow, double layer spongecake with strawberry jam and sliced strawberries between the layers, whipped cream "frosting" all over, and sliced strawberries and blueberries on top.

Some images of Norwegian bløtkaker

https://www.google.com/search?q=blot...w=1536&bih=754
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
For one thing, growing up, I did not know what a box cake was. Everything my mom made was from scratch. I remember when I was 12 or 14 this kid I know saying that he had made a cake and all I could think was how much work that takes. I even commented to him on the work it takes to make a cake. He then tells me that it wasn't hard at all, he made a box cake. All I could think was how do you make a cake in a box. I had never seen a box of Duncan Hines Cake mix before, that I could remember.

My dad's family had this Chocolate cake recipe that had been handed down for some time. That cake was always a favorite.

When I was about to turn 10 I remember looking at a Betty Crocker Cook book and it had a picture of a multi layer cake with strawberries and whipped cream in the middle and on top. From then on that was my favorite cake of all time. My mom made one each year for my birthday. When I was older I started making them.
Those cakes sound similar - and delicious. My question is, are they any good on the second day? It seems they would get really soggy from the berries.

My mom usually made a chocolate buttermilk cake in a 13x9 pan. Nothing fancy, but it was good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
When I was really young, I had those same kinds of cakes and loved them! I remember one cake I had that was a carousel type with circus animals. And another cake I remember was the kind with a doll and the frosting was her dress.
I remember seeing those doll cakes in the supermarket bakery and wishing my mom would get one for my birthday. Then I went to a friend's party once and she had a doll cake. When it was cut, I was horrified to find that the doll had no legs! It was only half a doll! That ended my desire for that particular cake.

My siblings and I were allowed to pick whatever kind of birthday dessert that was reasonable for Mom to make. Some liked cheesecake, some preferred pie. I liked the "lemonade cake" made with a box of yellow cake mix, a package of lemon jello, and lots of lemon juice and powdered sugar as a glaze.

We had birthday candle holders that were little wooden spheres painted like children's heads. Some had blonde hair and some had black hair. Then there was one special little one that was a little angel with wings. I still have those, pretty worn now, but the birthday candles we get nowadays are much too large to fit in the tiny holes.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:16 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,549,729 times
They made a birthday cake for our dog every year, but not for me.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:36 AM

329 posts, read 509,851 times
I had a cake of The Count from Sesame Street for my fourth birthday 1979.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:40 AM

10,052 posts, read 6,353,908 times
Good heavens, I can't remember back that far! I'm sure my Mom made birthday cakes from "scratch" for me; she was an excellent baker and cook. I inherited her cookbooks with her little handwritten recipe slips paperclipped inside. The only birthday I actually remember was my 6th, when I had a cowgirl outfit complete with hat and kerchief, and that's only because there is a picture in the family album. There was a decorated cake in the picture, but I have no idea what kind it was - probably chocolate cake with buttercream icing.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:42 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,389,811 times
Red velvet cake with french vanilla icing.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:57 AM

11,968 posts, read 8,293,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Those cakes sound similar - and delicious. My question is, are they any good on the second day? It seems they would get really soggy from the berries.
Don't have to worry about it, Debsi, because there's nothing left the second day.

When my daughter was little I used to make her an angel food cake cut in three layers and frosted with a combination of strawberry jello, cool whip and well-drained crushed pineapple. That held up really well and made a huge, fluffy cake.

One year when her friends were about ten we made individual cakes at the party. They loved that. I got several kinds of batter and they poured it into ice cream cones and baked. There were a variety of frostings and sprinkles for them to decorate with. Messy but fun.

I really can't remember what I did for my son. He was a July baby and we always held his parties outdoors in a park because a bunch of rowdy little boys. . . Cupcakes? One year I made whoopie pies. LOL

Old 04-12-2019, 08:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,923,088 times
I feel like all of these posts reflect the fact that you want to live those birthday cake memories again. Good news! I love cake AND it's my birthday next month, so if any of you -- or ALL of you (I really do love cake) -- want to make your memory birthday cake, I'd be willing -- HAPPY, rather -- to eat them.

Seriously, though, these are wonderful posts to read. Not only do I love cake, but I love celebrating birthdays, so these posts made me smile. Except for the sad ones... those people can share my birthday cake.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,288,220 times
One of my sisters and I are a year and a week apart so we would take yearly turns on which cake we wanted my mother to make. Mine was always her great carrot cake and my sister always wanted her equally great banana cake. Oh, the beautiful memories from childhood I sometimes wish there were a "way back" machine, just to visit.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:27 AM

91 posts, read 99,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Mine was a Duncan Hines White Cake Mix with my mother's homemade Peanut Butter Frosting.

Sounds tasty, save me a piece
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink