U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM

71,210 posts, read 82,589,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The straws don't even hold a candle to the millions of tons of unsold/returned products that go into landfills every day.

I don't use straws much. What bugs me more is that my state (ME) is enacting a ban on styrofoam containers. Take-out food/beverages are simply not going to remain warm anywhere near as long in any other sort of container.
totally agree with what you are saying and have thought about the ban ever since it was announced about a week ago. As for waste and straws: I agree there as well, but little steps will lead, hopefully bigger steps and anything is better than nothing.

BTW to those who say the paper ones do not work. You guys are not nearly as old as I am. I remember when we didn't use plastic for anything like straws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

36,779 posts, read 54,674,956 times
I remember drinking straws made of wheat stem. They were just fine.
So, why not those? What's happening with the wheat stem now?
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM

3,493 posts, read 2,170,433 times
When I was in elementary school we got paper straws with our milk at lunch. If I close my eyes, I can still taste the paper. The tip would get soggy and we'd have to tear off about a half inch to get to some dry paper. I hope the new ones are better than that.

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

1,143 posts, read 355,542 times
I like drinking my pop through a Red Vines with the ends bitten off. THAT'S the ultimate "sustainable" "environmentally friendly" straw.

Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM

1,143 posts, read 355,542 times
From my rep file:
Quote:
You got 5 min to finish...
05-05-2019 08:43 PM
Cool! Eat your straw! Of course the paper ones would have more fiber. Haha
And that reminds me, years ago Safeway Select were known for their (at the time considered) unusual flavors of soda pop, for example they had pineapple, kiwi strawberry, blue raspberry etc. and amongst them was "Red Twist", a red liquorice-flavored drink that was a not-entirely-convincing representation thereof. (Didn't stop me from drinking gallons of it in high school, but that's another story.) It's amazing what sucking it down with a Red Vines would do, though.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

34,217 posts, read 10,117,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Have you tried the new sustainable straws? It begins to soften in 5 sips and feels downright gross after 5 min. I am not against trying something new but this is 2019. Can't they come up with something that doesn't disintegrate while you are using it.

Uh...they did. Plastic straws.

The paper ones are straight outta the 1950s and '60s. Yeah, paper straws were falling apart then, too.

Buy your own. Every "ban" produces a market and a business opportunity. We've gotten the wide milkshake straws, and they're great. I've also seen stainless steel straws, but the ones I've seen are narrow.

Go shopping.

Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM

3,913 posts, read 7,430,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
When I was in elementary school we got paper straws with our milk at lunch. If I close my eyes, I can still taste the paper. The tip would get soggy and we'd have to tear off about a half inch to get to some dry paper. I hope the new ones are better than that.

I didn't use the straw. I opened the container and drank straight from it.

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

3,664 posts, read 1,653,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I didn't use the straw. I opened the container and drank straight from it.
Me too.
I like soda in a glass bottle, poured into a glass with ice in it. Drink it with no straw.
But I usually just drink it straight out of an aluminum can.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

555 posts, read 156,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I hope these same folks voting to eliminate plastic straws and Styrofoam trays aren't the same people that go to coffee shops every morning in a foam cup .. then drink bottled water out of plastic containers all day

I haven't tried these straws yet
Nope and nope. (I also can't remember the last time I've seen a coffee shop with foam cups anyway.)

Old Today, 06:14 AM

9,981 posts, read 11,983,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Nope and nope. (I also can't remember the last time I've seen a coffee shop with foam cups anyway.)
Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds both have foam cups....one place has a DD logo in pink/orange and the other place has a yellow letter M on the sign. Both usually have drive thrus and long lines. You should try them, they are pretty popular places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink