U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 PM

3,268 posts, read 1,522,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You're not talking about eating at a fast food place. You're talking about ordering your meal, and consuming it while driving in your car.

And frankly, we need to curtail that because that's dangerous.

Maybe banning straws will cause a revolution. Sit down and take 10 minutes to eat your meal in the restaurant, or take your meal home and eat it there.

There's no need whatsoever for a straw in either scenario.
It's not nearly as dangerous as talking on the phone while driving, and that includes hands-free, because a phone conversation requires attention. Eating is more of a mindless task, but of course, it is dangerous to an extent, such as dropping it in your lap, only one had on the wheel, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 08:37 PM

9,390 posts, read 4,722,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't know about you but the soda cups at McDonald's and elsewhere collapse when I grab them. The lid acts as a reinforcing agent. And forget about carry out without the lid. I can't speak for others.
Try easing up on that kung fu grip!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:00 PM

24,384 posts, read 23,383,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
When I was in elementary school we got paper straws with our milk at lunch. If I close my eyes, I can still taste the paper. The tip would get soggy and we'd have to tear off about a half inch to get to some dry paper. I hope the new ones are better than that.
OK, you're at least as old as I am. I remember tearing the end off of the straw. When you were a bit older and more straw savvy, you stopped crushing the end.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:06 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,970,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I like drinking my pop through a Red Vines with the ends bitten off. THAT'S the ultimate "sustainable" "environmentally friendly" straw.
Today's winner!!!

Old 05-07-2019, 08:31 AM

4,505 posts, read 3,603,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Have you tried the new sustainable straws? It begins to soften in 5 sips and feels downright gross after 5 min. I am not against trying something new but this is 2019. Can't they come up with something that doesn't disintegrate while you are using it.
Yeah, they had them when I was a kid in the 1950s - lightly waxed paper straws. That's what you usually got when you asked for a straw in the restaurants. As I recall, plastic straws didn't become the standard until sometime in the 1960s. They still make waxed straws - but they're more expensive than the non-waxed kind:

https://www.ocean-saver.com/products...r-paper-straws

Old 05-07-2019, 09:46 AM

19,806 posts, read 16,206,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Buy reusable plastic straws?

I've had mine for years without a problem.
I used to have a Mr Peanut reusable plastic straw, I wish I still had it! I remember very clearly when I was a kid in the 60’s that we had paper straws, not plastic. Are these the same? I don’t remember any kind of issues with them.

People mark this, but it really is an issue. I saw a video on YouTube of people who were scuba diving in Fiji, and pushing plastic bags out of their way. I’m certainly not perfect, and if somebody hand me something in a Styrofoam cup I’m going to use it and drink out of it, but I try to do what I can. I bring reusable bags to the grocery store. When I heard that K cups were creating problems I started using a reusable one at home (much cheaper too). I’m certainly not an activist, and if I go to someone’s home and they have K cups I will use them, and I’m not going to lecture anyone. But I’m also not going to disparage the efforts of those who are trying to make it a little bit better to be on this planet either.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:16 AM

14,386 posts, read 9,472,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Maybe banning straws will cause a revolution. Sit down and take 10 minutes to eat your meal in the restaurant, or take your meal home and eat it there.

There's no need whatsoever for a straw in either scenario.
Ah, so now we know. Next, we're looking at banning drive-throughs altogether. It's no longer about straws or saving the fish. It always starts like that. Some benign ban that no one takes notice, then on to the next.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:22 AM

8,901 posts, read 8,087,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The little plastic stirring 'straws ' in cocktails have been switched to thin wood sticks. I wonder how long it's gonna be before somebody starts shouting about killing trees for those?

They can be made out of bamboo which is highly sustainable.

I use a metal straw at home and only use paper elsewhere. It's law I believe now in Fort Lauderdale to use paper.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:18 PM

1,145 posts, read 358,566 times
Quote:
Buy your own. Every "ban" produces a market and a business opportunity. We've gotten the wide milkshake straws, and they're great.
Cough cough cough plastic grocery bags in California cough cough.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:47 PM

19,806 posts, read 16,206,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Cough cough cough plastic grocery bags in California cough cough.

My mother dreads the day she can no longer get plastic bags! She has them tied in little knots in the bottom of her purse, and has bags full of them at home. She's the one in the store requesting paper bags which are then put into plastic bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink