U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 02:58 PM

3,673 posts, read 1,541,260 times

Advertisements

Plastic bags were banned on Hawaii Island several years ago, and I got used to bringing a few reusable bags with me, and just putting the bulky items in the cart.

Now we're back where Everything Must Be Bagged or they check the items in your cart against the receipt on the way out of the store. So the plastic is accumulating...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 PM

8,809 posts, read 2,831,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Buy reusable plastic straws?

I've had mine for years without a problem.
I had my own telescoping personal straw, made from metal, when I was a kid. It was designed to have a snug fit at the joints when extended and just holding it under a faucet for a few seconds, would clean it. It was only about 4 inches long, when collapsed. Why not revive that item, which could be carried in a wallet?

Old 05-07-2019, 07:21 PM

12,354 posts, read 7,349,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I had my own telescoping personal straw, made from metal, when I was a kid. It was designed to have a snug fit at the joints when extended and just holding it under a faucet for a few seconds, would clean it. It was only about 4 inches long, when collapsed. Why not revive that item, which could be carried in a wallet?
Those are still sold. There are also straws that fold up, and ones that come with their own carrying case.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:55 PM

52 posts, read 13,707 times
I use straws for hygienic purposes if I am at a restaurant. I rather not make mouth to mouth contact with a cup that has been used lots of times and handled by different people.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:32 PM

9,392 posts, read 4,728,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Vantic-Reusab...gateway&sr=8-7

Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 PM

9,392 posts, read 4,728,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandscapeAritst View Post
I use straws for hygienic purposes if I am at a restaurant. I rather not make mouth to mouth contact with a cup that has been used lots of times and handled by different people.
You also carry your own silverware, right?

Old 05-07-2019, 08:40 PM

37,008 posts, read 54,767,685 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You also carry your own silverware, right?
This could match the set:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07ML...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:54 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,214,256 times
My husband insists on using a straw in cold drinks at home. We've tried glass and metal straws. They work, but he did not care for them. They are easily cleaned in the dishwasher.

We use papers straws now. Paper straws vary in quality. Some get soggy and fall apart quickly. The best paper straws are made by Aardvark. The Green Turtle uses them which is where we first encountered them. https://www.aardvarkstraws.com/

They are more expensive, but they work. IMO they are the best paper straw on the market. They feel good on your lips and they do not fall apart. We've got another brand now that works nearly as well, but is not as costly.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:51 AM

24,397 posts, read 23,391,349 times
Quote:
I've kissed people who have been used lots of times and handled by different people.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM

746 posts, read 189,823 times
Quote:
The silliness of this argument has been pointed out but not just silverware; you should bring your own plates, bowls, and cookware for the kitchen staff as well.

It never ceases to amaze me, also, the people who make this argument and want a straw for their water balk when you ask if they want a straw for their draft beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink