Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...BBnb7Kw#page=2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 06:31 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
It's a type of seasoned salt, that is especially popular in Australia.

Seasoned salt - Wikipedia

Old 05-17-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's a type of seasoned salt, that is especially popular in Australia.

Seasoned salt - Wikipedia

Yeah, that's what the article says. But have you ever tasted it??????

Old 05-17-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yeah, that's what the article says. But have you ever tasted it??????
It's just chicken seasoning, the Australians put on their chips (french fries) and other food.

You can buy chicken seasoning in most countries, although I will stick to using it on chicken rather than on chips.

You can also make your own, it's just onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, paprika, chicken bouillon and monosodium glutamate with some curry powder.

Chicken salt: the rise and fall (and rise again?) of Australia's favourite condiment - The Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-17-2019 at 07:55 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 09:08 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It's pretty tasty, but it is a salt, so use sparingly.

My experience, it's not salt to go on french fries like BNW is saying. It's dehydrated chicken, salt and MSG, so two different products with the same name?

Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's pretty tasty, but it is a salt, so use sparingly.

My experience, it's not salt to go on french fries like BNW is saying. It's dehydrated chicken, salt and MSG, so two different products with the same name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's just chicken seasoning, the Australians put on their chips (french fries) and other food.

You can buy chicken seasoning in most countries, although I will stick to using it on chicken rather than on chips.

You can also make your own, it's just onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, paprika, chicken bouillon and monosodium glutamate with some curry powder.

Chicken salt: the rise and fall (and rise again?) of Australia's favourite condiment - The Guardian

That sounds like the packets for chicken ramen, perhaps with added celery salt and paprika. I throw these packets away, but they might be OK used sparingly to salt unseasoned chicken.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That sounds like the packets for chicken ramen, perhaps with added celery salt and paprika. I throw these packets away, but they might be OK used sparingly to salt unseasoned chicken.
My thought exactly or one of many spices we get that is primarily sodium. I don't think I am going to go out of my way to find it. I have enough salt based spices already.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:39 AM

It's only nine bucks on Amazon, so I figured what the heck? And ordered some. Will revisit this discussion after I've played around with it.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,948,315 times
I have some. It's just a seasoned salt (no chicken in it!). I got it on the Amazon.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I have some. It's just a seasoned salt (no chicken in it!). I got it on the Amazon.
It was first created by an Australian called Peter Brinkworth in the back of his poultry store,Brinkworth Poultry, Game and Seafood – a wholesale food supplier in Gawler in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

His original chicken salt included onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, paprika, chicken bouillon and monosodium glutamate. The vibrant orange-yellow colour came from the addition of curry powder. He can’t remember the specific brand but, as a lifelong Keen’s man, he suspects it might have been that.

Keen’s is an interesting addition. It’s an Australian blend developed in Tasmania in the 19th century and, while curry powders abroad usually contain cumin for its distinctive “curry” taste, Keen’s does not. This may explain why its mild blend of sweet spices doesn’t dominate when chicken salt is used as a chip seasoning.

Chicken salt: we find the creator of an Australian classic – and he tells us everything - The Guardian

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink