U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 10:06 AM

726 posts, read 136,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
Pardon the pun....Baloney ^^^^

Commercially raised hogs get nothing but commercial food....a corn/soybean/etc mix.

Home raised hogs like ours are on the exact same pasture as our beef cattle...a fescue/clover/orchard grass mix, and feed a commercial hog feed (same as commercial hogs) + garden surplus (fresh corn, pumpkins, beans) + surplus apples (which they love).
Thanks, TIL. Nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 08:39 PM

808 posts, read 1,377,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Beef is considered to be more pure, which is why its more expensive than pork. Hogs eat trash while steers just eat grass and commercial feed, which is why beef is considered more pure.
i don't think it's why the price is higher. That would be pretty much market demand + cost to suppliers.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 PM

12,530 posts, read 8,490,444 times
Americans in general don't consume a lot of pork directly. It is often pork products such as bacon, lard, pork bellies, and ribs that are most popular. While other ethnic dishes feature pork more such as pork butt, shoulders, pig feet, pig butt, etc.

If you ask the avg American, when's the last time they've had a pork dish. Most would say rarely except for bacon and sausages which are typically processed foods vs pork chops.

Chicken is the #1 meat consumed followed by beef.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:36 AM

71,273 posts, read 82,670,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Americans in general don't consume a lot of pork directly. It is often pork products such as bacon, lard, pork bellies, and ribs that are most popular. While other ethnic dishes feature pork more such as pork butt, shoulders, pig feet, pig butt, etc.

If you ask the avg American, when's the last time they've had a pork dish. Most would say rarely except for bacon and sausages which are typically processed foods vs pork chops.

wow, I have to disagree with you on this: most families I know enjoy pork roast and pork chops on a regular basis. Many people eat as much pork or more than they eat beef including hamburger. Statistically you may be right about which meats are the most often consumed but I still think pork is not something most do not eat and enjoy on a regular basis.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:33 PM

2,363 posts, read 2,996,162 times
Average per capita meat consumption, by type in the US, 2017:

Broilers 91 lbs
Beef 57 lbs
Pork 50 lbs
Turkey 16 lbs
Lamb 1 lb
Veal .2 lb
Other chicken 1.3 lbs

link

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-08-2019, 08:20 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,698,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

I don't know where you're getting your info, but in this house it's chicken and pork...beef is a distant third- rare (pun intended) and only when it's 'on sale', as a 'splurge'.

I did just take a nice fat NY Strip off the grill, but it's been months since the last time. The fridge and freezer are full of chicken breasts, center-cut loin [pork] chops and loin [pork] roasts. I love my beef, but pricing puts it out of the budget most of the time.

I can buy a nice pork butt for .99/lb, smoke it up and have 10lbs of pulled pork for less than the [full price] cost of a single NY Strip.

I don't know who 'Average' is, or 'Most', but they don't seem to be very common around here.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:18 AM

18,144 posts, read 23,223,573 times
Americans eat 50 billion beef. burgers per yr on average

You take that out of the consumption equation and pork would surpass beef

Many Iíve noticed donít like pork - from an ethnic or religious bias
Jews and Muslims donít eat pork - to many that think pigs are just dirty animals

I visited one of the largest pork processors in the country a couple
Decades ago in Iowa
15-18k. A day
After hearing all the horror stories for yrs - I wanted to see firsthand where the pork I was
Selling came from
From the kill floor to being shipped by sides or in vacuum sealed primals

Iíve done local beef and pork and for many farms - I was quite impressed
With the whole operation - usda inspectors every 4 feet
And it was very clean

The animals were stunned and then bled - no pain or suffering at all

Old 05-09-2019, 04:50 AM

2,363 posts, read 2,996,162 times
Yes.....The common fallacy: "to many that think pigs are just dirty animals". As one who has raised a few pigs, given the right circumstances, pigs/hogs can be the cleanest animal in the barnyard, and by far the most intelligent.
Pork is consumed in our house 4 to 1 over beef, 2 to 1 over poultry....guess we are not average either.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-09-2019, 06:00 AM

71,273 posts, read 82,670,033 times
I think one of the reasons statistics show we eat more beef than pork has to do with what some have mentioned: religion. This is why I don't trust studies to tell the whole picture. Take out the religious aspect and I am guessing the break down of pork verses beef would be very close

Old 05-09-2019, 09:43 AM

3,669 posts, read 1,541,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think one of the reasons statistics show we eat more beef than pork has to do with what some have mentioned: religion. This is why I don't trust studies to tell the whole picture. Take out the religious aspect and I am guessing the break down of pork verses beef would be very close
I think cheap burgers a lot to do with the consumption rate of beef vs pork.
If you removed all fast food from the statistics, pork would likely show up as more popular than beef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink