U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 11:00 AM

9,405 posts, read 4,398,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I think cheap burgers a lot to do with the consumption rate of beef vs pork.
If you removed all fast food from the statistics, pork would likely show up as more popular than beef.

In other words if things were different then things would be different. How can you just arbitrarily remove or discount key components that make up market consumption? Bacon and sausage are pork. If you removed all breakfasts from the statistics, pork would trail beef by an even larger amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 02:26 PM

3,669 posts, read 1,541,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In other words if things were different then things would be different. How can you just arbitrarily remove or discount key components that make up market consumption? Bacon and sausage are pork. If you removed all breakfasts from the statistics, pork would trail beef by an even larger amount.
What I meant (but didn't express well) is that red meat purchased at the grocery store is far more likely to be pork than beef, but fast food is so overwhelmingly beef that the cow takes first place.

That addresses why so many posters say they buy more pork than beef when overall statistics suggest the opposite.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What I meant (but didn't express well) is that red meat purchased at the grocery store is far more likely to be pork than beef, but fast food is so overwhelmingly beef that the cow takes first place.

You know this for a fact, as in you have empirical data, or is this your belief based on your observations? Groceries and fast foods are not the only markets.

Old 05-09-2019, 06:15 PM

22,120 posts, read 27,944,446 times
The fast food burger places probably serve as much pork as beef. They put bacon in everything. Sometimes I'm surprised that they aren't putting bacon on the milk shakes.

All that fast food bacon demand means that there is a lot of pork that isn't high priced bacon, which helps to keep the price down a bit on thee rest of the cuts.

Regions differ, so maybe in New York, they don't eat pork? Around here, everybody eats pork chops, pork in Mexican food, shredded pork sandwiches. Anyone who barbecues does a pork butt every now and again.

In this area you can get pork chop and eggs for breakfast, and of course, many of the restaurants and home cooks do barbecued ribs and I've got some pork and green chili tamales in my freezer.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 PM

547 posts, read 377,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Regions differ, so maybe in New York, they don't eat pork? Around here, everybody eats pork chops, pork in Mexican food, shredded pork sandwiches. Anyone who barbecues does a pork butt every now and again.
Here's a chart from the USDA, showing the average meat consumption for 2018. Chicken is actually No. 1.

Chicken = 107lbs
Beef = 84lbs
Pork = 67lbs
Turkey = 17lbs

According to the USDA, beef outsells pork.

You're right. Regions differ. The region where you live probably determines the kind of meat you eat and its cost. I live in one of the Great Plains states, so beef here is cheap since we have the "cow ocean" in our backyard. Most of the country's beef is raised here. I can easily buy gorgeous steaks, including grass-fed beef, for as little as $7 or $8 a pound. The largest beef-producing states are Texas (No. 1) and Nebraska (No. 2). By the time this beef is shipped to the East or West Coast, the price rises to cover the shipping fees.

In my region, hardly no one eats seafood since the oceans are more than 2,000 miles away in either direction. Seafood is very expensive since it has to be shipped in from the coasts.
Attached Thumbnails
Price Difference Beef vs. Pork-june18_datafeature_jones_fig01_450px.png  

Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM

18,144 posts, read 23,223,573 times
Quote:

That addresses why so many posters say they buy more pork than beef when overall statistics suggest the opposite.
when I hear "red meat" im thinking beef only (im a butcher)
but many do consider pork to be red meat

Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

71,273 posts, read 82,670,033 times
Quote:
The fast food burger places probably serve as much pork as beef. They put bacon in everything. Sometimes I'm surprised that they aren't putting bacon on the milk shakes.

All that fast food bacon demand means that there is a lot of pork that isn't high priced bacon, which helps to keep the price down a bit on thee rest of the cuts.

In this area you can get pork chop and eggs for breakfast, and of course, many of the restaurants and home cooks do barbecued ribs and I've got some pork and green chili tamales in my freezer.
Though I don't think fast food chains sell anywhere near the amount of pork that they sell beef, but they do sell plenty. Not only things like bacon, but yes, pulled pork has become very popular and lots of Mexican restaurants use as much pork as beef I am guessing.

RDM66: I don't think anyone is really doubting or not many anyway whether beef outsells pork, I think many of the comments here have to do with a few posters that seem to think pork is not at all popular.

Old Today, 10:24 AM

14,142 posts, read 23,735,444 times
Quote:

If they put a strip of bacon on a hamburger, they are still only using 1 oz of bacon to 4 oz of ground beef.

The ONLY fast foos sandwich that I have seen with significant bacon is the BBLT sandwich at Sonic which had 3 oz of bacon.

Old Today, 10:27 AM

14,142 posts, read 23,735,444 times
Quote:

If they put a strip of bacon on a hamburger, they are still only using 1 oz of bacon to 4 oz of ground beef.

The ONLY fast food sandwich that I have seen with significant bacon is the BBLT sandwich at Sonic which had 3 oz of bacon.

Old Today, 10:59 AM

Maybe it's your definition of fast food? Carryout Chinese uses lots of pork. Tacos are often pork. And all those burger places don't sell burgers till 10am while selling breakfast items all day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink