Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 06:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,099,701 times

Advertisements

Is there a huge difference between the price of beef and pork?

Just curious... I went to Publix today and they had a meat and vegetable mix for sale - sitting right next to each other they had a version in pork and a version in beef. One was called a "fajitas mix" and the other one I don't remember what it was called.

I asked the meat manager what the difference in the mixes was, and he said they are basically the same... including Meat, Onions, and green peppers.

But the pork mix was selling for ~$3.xx something and the beef mix was ~$13.xx.

So, does the difference in meats justify the price difference? I realize they could have had much more of the pork to get rid of and it was on special. But I got the impression these were regular prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 01:54 AM

4,532 posts, read 6,224,722 times
Lots of factors involved in the price difference between beef and pork.

Farm to fork time...beef 18 months, hogs 5-6 months...

Larger feedlot properties required for raising beef...

Feed conversion Ratios...how much feed is consumed vs food produced, pound for pound...hogs 4-9 times more food consumed, beef 6-25 times more food consumed.

Kill time to plate is greater for beef, no aging required on pork.

Americans love of beef.

All this results in greater investment in producing beef, and of course a higher price per pound.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-07-2019, 03:22 AM

61,153 posts, read 85,977,665 times
The price difference was always very noticeable:
https://www.nationalchickencouncil.o...beef-and-pork/

Pork should get even cheaper because trade war left U.S. with a mountain of cheap pork
https://www.farmprogress.com/hog/tra...ain-cheap-pork

Some interesting stats about meat:
https://www.meatinstitute.org/index....7465/pid/47465

Last edited by elnina; 05-07-2019 at 03:30 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 AM

936 posts, read 810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So, does the difference in meats justify the price difference? I realize they could have had much more of the pork to get rid of and it was on special. But I got the impression these were regular prices.
I live in the central Midwest, which is also "cattle country." (Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa.) We've had a rough winter here followed by a very wet spring. Beef prices across the country will be rising this year simply because tens of thousands of cows in the central Plains either froze to death during one of our winter blizzards or they drowned during one of our recent and ongoing floods.

To make matters worse, the weather also destroyed a lot of grain that are used to feed the cattle. It's a double-whammy that will translate into higher beef prices.

As I am writing this, my area is under both a tornado watch and flash flood watch. During the past week my area has received nearly 8 inches of rain. This whole area of the country, which also raises a lot of beef, is water-logged. Expect the pay more a your grocery store. It's simple supply and demand.

Here's an article that might explain it better

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/we...ustry-hit-hard

Old 05-07-2019, 05:15 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Pork has always been cheaper than beef

You get many more piglets. Than calves
And it takes 1/4 of the time for a hog to be ready for slaughter as it does cattle

Pork has been on sale for .99lb. For pork butts
And assorted pork chops for. .99-1.29lb

Pork will go up in price when China starts buying our pork

I love pork buy a lot when on sale

Old 05-07-2019, 07:05 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
I can never remember pork being as expensive as beef. That is probably the reason so many families what struggle financually eat so much pork. I do think today there is even a bigger difference in pricing. Apparently pork is much cheaper to produce

For us, we eat a lot more pork than beef but love them both. Yes, the price difference is the main reason we eat more pork. The other reason it seems I can do more with a piece of pork, especially left over. For us, rare is the only way to eat beef, so when it comes to left overs it is hard to find a way to cook something and keep the beef rare. I am talking top quality cuts of beef, not pot roasts or brisket which is much easier to use as left overs.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 AM

34,829 posts, read 30,898,649 times
Pork is almost always notably cheaper - often times at least half or so.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM

1,199 posts, read 714,657 times
Beef is considered to be more pure, which is why its more expensive than pork. Hogs eat trash while steers just eat grass and commercial feed, which is why beef is considered more pure.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:56 AM

264 posts, read 197,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Beef is considered to be more pure, which is why its more expensive than pork. Hogs eat trash while steers just eat grass and commercial feed, which is why beef is considered more pure.

Pardon the pun....Baloney ^^^^

Commercially raised hogs get nothing but commercial food....a corn/soybean/etc mix.

Home raised hogs like ours are on the exact same pasture as our beef cattle...a fescue/clover/orchard grass mix, and feed a commercial hog feed (same as commercial hogs) + garden surplus (fresh corn, pumpkins, beans) + surplus apples (which they love).

Old 05-07-2019, 11:06 AM

1,199 posts, read 714,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
Pardon the pun....Baloney ^^^^

Commercially raised hogs get nothing but commercial food....a corn/soybean/etc mix.

Home raised hogs like ours are on the exact same pasture as our beef cattle...a fescue/clover/orchard grass mix, and feed a commercial hog feed (same as commercial hogs) + garden surplus (fresh corn, pumpkins, beans) + surplus apples (which they love).
Thanks, TIL. Nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink