U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 10:19 AM

4,447 posts, read 3,697,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal.M.I. View Post
I don't make anything that calls for deep frying, yet I love most things deep fried. And I hate cooking fish, but could eat it 4-5 days a week.
I save all things I hate to cook for eating out and enjoy them all the more being served.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Fish. I can never seem to get it right. I love fish, but now I only buy the breaded fillets becasue they are easy to cook. Fresh or non battered fish is hard to cook well.
I don't like making green salads. All the washing, peeling, and chopping and making the salad dressing every 2-3 days. But I do it because we all like to eat them. [/quote]

Same here, in a perfect world I would eat fish frequently but as it is I do eat it out as a treat on occasion.

Also agree about salads but when I do make them I eat them for all my lunch and dinners, also sometimes for breakfast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 AM

3,152 posts, read 1,259,035 times
Anything that requires standing over it. I can do a lot of prep work and I don't mind so much, but standing over a hot stove, stirring and tending, is not my cup of tea.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 PM

21,239 posts, read 13,974,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
dried beans. Such a process. Soak them for 12-24 hours, rinse, simmer in pot of water for 1-2 hours, drain, store. If I had the money for a pressure cooker or instant pot it would probably help, but sometimes I give in and use canned or just eat lentils which cook much more quickly. Beans are a staple for me.

Another is homemade bread. I love it so much more than store bought, but I make it by hand and it is a lengthy process. I don't have a lot of machines in my house lol.
https://www.amazon.com/Presto-6-qt-S...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If beans are important to you, you need a pressure cooker. Here is an inexpensive model on Amazon.

Or, perhaps a family member has one they donít want. Be resourceful. Get the thing you need!

Old 05-10-2019, 02:31 PM

17,390 posts, read 20,688,243 times
Liver all types or any offal.

not a fan of cooking fish except shrimp and crab. I'd rather go out to eat and have it. It stinks up the whole house and it bothers me.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:54 PM

14,417 posts, read 10,621,270 times
I hate having to work with raw meat, like shaping hamburger patties, meatloaf, chicken (like crab) cakes. It's cold and greasy, and... it's raw meat. (No offense, provider animal.)

I hate grating cheese. Last night I grated TWO POUNDS of cheese.

I don't like to chop up heads of broccoli or cauliflower because of all the crumbs I have to clean off the cutting board.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:17 PM

16,576 posts, read 26,459,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post

I don't like to chop up heads of broccoli or cauliflower because of all the crumbs I have to clean off the cutting board and the counter and the floor.
I fixed that for you.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:36 PM

14,417 posts, read 10,621,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I fixed that for you.
You're so right. I was remiss.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:44 PM

24,489 posts, read 23,455,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I hate having to work with raw meat, like shaping hamburger patties, meatloaf, chicken (like crab) cakes. It's cold and greasy, and... it's raw meat. (No offense, provider animal.)

I hate grating cheese. Last night I grated TWO POUNDS of cheese.

I don't like to chop up heads of broccoli or cauliflower because of all the crumbs I have to clean off the cutting board.
Would wearing gloves help?

Old 05-10-2019, 06:37 PM

8,857 posts, read 2,856,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
dried beans. Such a process. Soak them for 12-24 hours, rinse, simmer in pot of water for 1-2 hours, drain, store. If I had the money for a pressure cooker or instant pot it would probably help, but sometimes I give in and use canned or just eat lentils which cook much more quickly. Beans are a staple for me.

Another is homemade bread. I love it so much more than store bought, but I make it by hand and it is a lengthy process. I don't have a lot of machines in my house lol.

I also eat a lot of beans-----great northern and pinto. But I don't need to soak them. I put them on a hotplate in a big pot, that takes 1 hour to heat to boiling temperature and then simmer them for 105 minutes and they're thoroughly cooked. I put the pot in a sink with cold water and stir them for 30 minutes to cool them. Then I toss in two trays of ice cubes, which bring them to the right level of juiciness, as well as cool them some more. Then I put them in the freezer compartment for 90 minutes and when I put them in the main refrigerator, they don't heat everything else inside. They keep better, when they're cooled rapidly.

The part that really annoys me, is having to spend so much time picking the culls out of the white beans. The pinto beans don't seem to have very many of them. Split green peas never seem to have any culls.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:07 PM

14,322 posts, read 8,254,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Tripe.

And anything that dirties up a bunch of dishes during prep.
Yep. I don't do complicated recipes. Thus, I don't make pizza anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or