U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 07:42 PM

549 posts, read 181,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Did you try making NYT “ simple crusty bread” recipe? It is so easy and fast. One does need a Dutch oven- lodge is the least expensive- the best bread ever!
Dutch oven is good to have for other simple easy meals. You even can make beans in that- low and slow!
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...no-knead-bread

Instant pot is not that expensive now- at Walmart 3qt is $49. Other manufacturers could be less- there are now plenty of them. One still needs to soak beans though- due to anti-nutrients.
Sounds like a wonderful recipe! But the issue is the amount of time of waiting, and then doing another step, and then another hour or two and so on. I understand much of it is just planning well. I do a LOT of food planning, menu planning, rotating meals so I have x and y ingredients on hand, batch cooking on Sundays. Sometimes it just gets old, so I skimp on bread and beans and buy them prepared (though I go out of my way to buy organic bread with less than five ingredients). But I will definitely try these recipes when the mood strikes! And the time. I've got four camping trips lined up this summer lol.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 PM

9,238 posts, read 5,220,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You dislike doing that?

Fried foods and anything that takes long preparation time.
Yeh.. I misread the title on my phone.

I dislike cooking fish... smells stay around. Smoked fish once... took a lot of work to clean out that smell from my smoker.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:58 PM

3,425 posts, read 1,673,974 times
A big hunk of meat.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:10 PM

2,752 posts, read 1,056,026 times
1. cabbage. boiled cabbage. LOVE to eat ANYthing with cabbage. but...boil? no.
2. fish. i will grill fish OUTSIDE, but i will not cook ANY fish inside. two weeks of Glade needed.
3. pies. Easy as Pie is a lie. cakes are easier. rather bake seven cakes than one pie.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:20 PM

416 posts, read 122,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Chicken soup. I like chicken soup and I cook it a lot. But, no matter what you do, the drums and thighs (the best parts) have this nasty looking, nasty tasting chicken blood extravasated into the meat. I've tried "organic" (somewhat better, usually) and boneless (yuck - mystery meat) chicken parts and soaking this way & that way. Nothing consistently works. You just cross your fingers.

But I like chicken soup so I often make it. This bloody legs & thighs stuff has emerged big time in the last 15 or 20 years. The conveyer belts at the slaughter houses need to be slowed down. Charge me another buck a pound if you have to, call it "organic' if you want, but thoroughly bleed these birds for pete sakes. All it takes is gravity and just a little more time.
I've noticed the last 12-24 months where I buy meat (usually Whole Foods or Belair) have had veins FULL of blood. I now ask them to pick two that aren't bleeding, but yuk, it took a long time to start to eat again. Same thing in the roast I bought last week - that sort of ruined me for beef for a while.

Glad it's not just my imagination, I knew there's been recent increases in such issues even in the finer grocers with dedicated butchers.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:50 PM

435 posts, read 120,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I've noticed the last 12-24 months where I buy meat (usually Whole Foods or Belair) have had veins FULL of blood. I now ask them to pick two that aren't bleeding, but yuk, it took a long time to start to eat again. Same thing in the roast I bought last week - that sort of ruined me for beef for a while.

Glad it's not just my imagination, I knew there's been recent increases in such issues even in the finer grocers with dedicated butchers.
Try to see if you have a Jewish-Kosher or Muslim-Halal meat store in your area - either one should work.
Both similarly well prepared

Old 05-11-2019, 06:20 AM

10,028 posts, read 4,670,015 times
Anything with more than 6 ingredients. While I used to make gourmet meals for us now that I'm alone I rarely cook anything more complicated than yellow rice with smoked sausage or meatloaf. It's usually a big salad for dinner or a Healthy Choice frozen dinner.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:40 AM

1,173 posts, read 409,537 times
I don't bake. Ever.
Don't even have a full oven in my kitchen!
But I once or twice a year I reheat a big pizza in the outdoor grill.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:21 PM

10,777 posts, read 4,739,205 times
Anything that involves cutting vegetables. Chopping vegetables takes ages, and I can never chop it as nicely as I want without risking my fingers.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:11 PM

990 posts, read 668,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
dried beans. Such a process. Soak them for 12-24 hours, rinse, simmer in pot of water for 1-2 hours, drain, store. If I had the money for a pressure cooker or instant pot it would probably help, but sometimes I give in and use canned or just eat lentils which cook much more quickly. Beans are a staple for me.

Another is homemade bread. I love it so much more than store bought, but I make it by hand and it is a lengthy process. I don't have a lot of machines in my house lol.
Let me help you with dry beans:

Step 1. Pour water into Crock pot
Step 2. Add beans & seasoning
Step 3. Turn on Crock pot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or