Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
When I was a kid the whole family went to Amendola's catering hall on Westchester Square in the Bronx. Amendola's is gone now but the memory of their Clams Oreganata lives on.

As an adult I was introduced to the excellent foods of China Town Manhattan. A group of us found a restaurant on one of the side streets in China Town that had a meal called the banquet. It was a sampling of several Chinese-American dishes served family style.

While I can't speak for the Chinese community, I can say that many Italians wouldn't really recognize some of what we call Italian food.
This is pretty true I am sure with all ethnic foods. We have Americanize them, but still basically what we enjoy as ethnic is still close. WE have been to Italy and found the food much like what we serve here. The same with visiting little Italy in L.A. or St Louis. There really isn't that much difference. In Hong Kong the Chinese food is similar enough to what we eat in America that is our version could pass easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 12:27 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
We enjoy various types:: Thai, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, Indian, Vietnamese, etc. It just depends on the mood we’re in.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:45 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,819,181 times
Whenever we'd have a family vacation gathering, my mom would make stuffed shells and a salad. Now that she's passed away, I make it. It's not the fastest thing to prepare, but you can make it a day ahead of time and then just toss it in the oven the day family is supposed to arrive. A salad is nothing to throw together at the last minutes and most folks like a little salad with their shells (at least in my family).

Old 05-10-2019, 01:58 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,946,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But for a big family gathering, I don't think guests would be expecting Chinese food. The Indian food suggestion was interesting. That could work.
In-and-Out Burger to-go seems to work well for me so far for my guests, with over 20 burgers/fries ordered.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:03 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I wondered the same thing. The "for family gatherings" bit made me think it referred to, a family might go for what reflects their ethnicity (especially if they're 1st-2nd generation in a country, or of an ethnicity that is more likely to keep some of their ethnic traditions). Otherwise I'm not sure why such a gathering would have a "theme" of a certain ethnicity's food? Let alone one you'd call "go-to" as if they never do anything else. (Unless it's a matter of, every single person in the family just looooves Ethiopian and can all agree that that's all they want to eat, or they're gathering for a specifically ethnic {or, pseudo- "ethnic") holiday like St. Patrick's Day or Cinco de Mayo.)
It's all part of the same thing. Most families will prefer their own ethnic cuisine, if they are from a specific ethnic group (many families aren't so 'pure' in lineage). "Go-to" doesn't mean "never do anything else." I assume that big gatherings themselves are somewhat traditional and tend to feature the same general food choices.

Also, I don't think pizza is an easy default option these days, with I'd guess 10% of female teens and women vegan. There is vegan pizza, but it's very unlikely someone would order that as part of a family get-together. I didn't want the thread moved over here, because there are many details about it more interesting than the food itself, such as how preferences are formed and how democratic the decisions are.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:05 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It's all part of the same thing. Most families will prefer their own ethnic cuisine, if they are from a specific ethnic group (many families aren't so 'pure' in lineage). "Go-to" doesn't mean "never do anything else." I assume that big gatherings themselves are somewhat traditional and tend to feature the same general food choices.
Right, that's what I meant. I could see an Indian family having Indian food, a Polish family with strong roots having Polish food, but it might seem a bit more weird for an Italian family to say "let's have all Japanese food" or a Japanese family saying "let's have all Mexican food." Most family gatherings that have been American for several generations will have American/generic food, whether it's a potluck or catered, so it would be strange to see all pad thai and gaeng and som tam and satay rather than burgers and potato salad and a fruit tray (unless the family was Thai and kept the culture). One or two people might bring something ethnic (and might get weird looks for doing so, if it's like most potlucks), but to say it's "go-to" makes me think they do it often and extensively.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:39 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I don't have a "go to" ethnic food. It's more like a type of food that I prepare when more than 4 are assembled.

My husband does not enjoy grilling, and we have only three "grill months" where we live. Four is you count the last 2 weeks of May, and the first 2 weeks of September.

So, most of the year is some type of winter. The Impending winter, early winter, The Winter of Our Discontent, Mud Season, The Return of Winter, The Thaw, Mud Season, Little Winter, Fool's Spring, Very early Spring, random warmer day, Blizzard, Florida Vacation, A Mild Week that makes you wonder why you ever left, The Revenge Winter's Return, Real Estate in Florida Season, The Raining, The Pollination, A strangely sunny day, a random rainy day, a chilly day, June, July and The Impending Winter. Repeat.

With this in mind, I look for hearty, hot, one dish meals and a green salad. Bread. A fruit salad, And a Dessert.

It could be chili, a curry, some kind of slow cooker stew, shrimp, rice and broccoli bake, lasagna, stews, or enchiladas.

Another idea is a big pot of slow cooker soup, a hearty one, sandwiches, potato salad or roasted potatoes, and a take our hero, grinder, sub - from a local superb deli.

I do a buffet where people serve themselves.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
We are Norwegian ancestry, and an introvert... so when family gatherings have gone on a little too long, there is always Lutefisk.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:08 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
For family gatherings food is typically an American cuisine such as BBQ tri-tip, steaks, or burgers. Served with potato salad, mashed potatoes, or baked potatoes, and a green salad.

Now as for ethnic cuisine that we personally enjoy making and eating we're big on Greek food. Hubby makes some chicken kababs with tzatziki sauce that are phenomenal, and I make homemade pita bread.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:54 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
The variety of foods that people like are impressive, but I would like to cover all of the bases.

I'm just curious about the eating habits of people in states where the recreational use of marijuana is legal, does White Castle deliver?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink