U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:45 AM

2,785 posts, read 1,757,218 times

Advertisements

Looking for recs on best places to order steaks, seafood, organic produce online. My local grocery stores have subpar selection.

Snake River Farms? Has anyone ordered from them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 01:46 PM

71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
We never order meat on line but have ordered seafood many times. Our favorite place is Legal Seafood. I do want to add, the one thing we have gotten there that is awful is the crab cakes, not only are they yucky, but the price is out of this world. It is for all they have, but we still do enjoy splurging once in awhile. Where i I would never order from is Omaha Steaks. They used to be pretty good, now they are over the top price wise and under ground quality wise.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:49 PM

38,380 posts, read 2,897,028 times
We do not order foods online. if you are looking for fresh organic produce, try a local Farmers market or see if there is a CSA in your area.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:02 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,138,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Snake River Farms? Has anyone ordered from them?

SRF is too expensive for me, but lots of folks on the EggHeadForum use and love them. At one point, someone from SRF was responding to posts there.
https://eggheadforum.com/

Old 05-14-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
SRF is too expensive for me, but lots of folks on the EggHeadForum use and love them. At one point, someone from SRF was responding to posts there.
https://eggheadforum.com/
Thanks for this tip!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-14-2019, 03:58 PM

18,279 posts, read 23,409,125 times
id buy local if you can..

be careful online …... you will get a good screwing on price...

top 3 grades of beef is prime/choice/select
so if they are selling anything but prime grade ...you are probably over paying.....and if it says all natural...well most all meat is all natural ..

figure out price per pound.....and you will realize … most online is not a good deal

Old 05-14-2019, 06:50 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,023,768 times
Costco has some good deals now and again on steaks and some seafood. I've sent them as gifts and have gotten good reviews. Farmer's markets are a great place to get good produce as well as meat and eggs if you're lucky. If there is a CSA in your area they will usually let you do a trial to see if you like what they have.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 AM

71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
id buy local if you can..

be careful online ... you will get a good screwing on price...

top 3 grades of beef is prime/choice/select
so if they are selling anything but prime grade ...you are probably over paying.....and if it says all natural...well most all meat is all natural ..

figure out price per pound.....and you will realize most online is not a good deal
Here you: I have done the figuring on those great Omaha steak offers: not to mention the meat sucks, the price is unbelievable and people fall for it. The only time we have used them was a few times when we have been given a gift card. As I mentioned earlier we do like Legal Seafood, even then use them when we are given a gift card from our younger daughter, but, they too, are super expensive. At least their seafood is good.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:32 AM

9,380 posts, read 6,993,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We never order meat on line but have ordered seafood many times. Our favorite place is Legal Seafood. I do want to add, the one thing we have gotten there that is awful is the crab cakes, not only are they yucky, but the price is out of this world. It is for all they have, but we still do enjoy splurging once in awhile. Where i I would never order from is Omaha Steaks. They used to be pretty good, now they are over the top price wise and under ground quality wise.

The issue I have with Omaha is that they will pester you every third day to order again. Now, they do respect when you tell them to not call you back.. But they're so pushy that I would never order from them again

Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 AM

The last couple of times I've bought Prime steaks from Costco they have not been good. Filets full of gristle.
Publix has next to no Prime beef, they have horrible quality. Neither do most of the stores near me. And certainly nobody sells American Wagyu. So I'm left with no other option than to order online. Just placed my first order with Snake River Farms. Also considering subscription to Butcher Box.

Does Omaha have a subscription service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or