U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:04 AM

3,885 posts, read 4,580,775 times

Advertisements

I agree that 80/20 is best. Good flavor, nice juicy burgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM

8,019 posts, read 5,964,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
What kind of chuck? Conventional? Choice? Angus? Prime? Grass fed? Wagyu? ???
My opinion is that when its ground into the burger, it makes little difference. Its kind of like buying a $100 bottle of fine Bourbon and then mixing it with Coca-Cola.

If you think Grass fed tastes better have at it. Traditionally a grass fed piece is going to have a lower grade because there's less fat.

"Prime," "Choice," or "Select" refer to the amount of marbling one would see in the steak. Marbling is the fat streaks. So, what difference does it make if its ground up?

Ground Chuck has to be 80-85% lean. Ground Round 85-90, Ground Sirloin 90-92% lean.

I think the important thing is to get it from someone that grinds it regularly onsite. I like Ground chuck. Any leaner and the burgers fall apart. Any fattier and the burgers shrink to nothing.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:44 PM

125 posts, read 150,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
80% sirloin ground with 20% bacon ends&pieces. Awesome Burger!
This is exactly what I do as well. If you can get a butcher to grind the sirloin for you on the spot, it's even better.

Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM

22,217 posts, read 28,061,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
....... Wagyu? Grass-fed? ........

I like Wagyu beef. The flavor isn't much better than a good properly processed Angus, but it is very tender. Tender isn't going to make a dot of difference if you are grinding it up. I wouldn't spend the extra money to buy Wagyu just to grind it up. If you are going to grill streaks and it is a very special occasion, it might be worth the splurge for some Wagyu rib eye. I like the Wagyu sirloin steaks on the grill.

Grass fed beef can be excellent if the steer was very well raised, but doing an excellent job of raising grass raised beef (meaning grass finished-- they are all raised on grass) costs a lot of money. No one is going to raise beef that way to just sell at the supermarket, anonymously.

If you put a nice Angus, or a nice Angus cross, on irrigated pasture and make sure it never loses weight as it is growing, and then have a good custom butcher age the meat properly, you can't beat that beef. Cattle on high quality grass are fat as pigs and you can have a lot of marbling in grass fed beef.

But grass fed, for commercial sale isn't raised on expensive irrigated pasture and the cattle lose weight in the winter when grazing is poor and they don't get any grain. You don't get that nice tender juicy beef unless the cattle are fat and lazy. Then good butchering costs money because it cost a lot of money to hang beef longer than the few days that commercial meat is aged.

So, grass fed beef for burgers, I'd pass unless I buy directly from someone where I've watched their cattle all year and seen how they are raised.

The choice grade certified Angus should be a safe bet. Experiment with other options when it isn't a party and no one will be disappointed if it isn't good meat, except for yourself.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 PM

9,531 posts, read 18,679,010 times
We get a lot of grass fed beef around here because shipping in grain to feed them is terribly expensive. We have loads of good grass around here, though, so grass fed is good. Just wish we had more cows to eat the grass, the grass is winning in many areas.

For a perfect burger, I'd try an equal mix of sirloin, chuck and bison. Sirloin usually has really good flavor, although chuck does too. The bison is a richer flavor and makes a really good burger, but I don't suppose it's technically beef.

Our current beef is a Gnuersey Jersey cross bull who was grass fed and slaughtered at a little under two years old, I think it was. His name was 'Goofy' and he is pretty tasty. We get freezer beef when one of our farmer friends sends in his cattle to the slaughter house since he can't fit all the results in his freezer so if we buy a lot of it on the day it comes back, we get a great price on it.

Not sure if anyone else has access to folks who raise beef? Maybe something along the same line may work for you, too?

Old 05-15-2019, 07:26 PM

9,653 posts, read 3,803,960 times
Ground sirloin with a package of powdered french onion soup mix per two pounds meat.

And then, offer Hellman's organic spicy chipotle mayonnaise and spread it on the burger, not on the bun. Top cooked patties with purple onion rings and garden tomatoes.

Last edited by ClaraC; 05-15-2019 at 07:39 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 07:36 PM
EA

6,021 posts, read 5,089,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
I love bison for burgers, if you can find it where you are.

Really good for sausage too.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 PM

385 posts, read 82,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
80% sirloin ground with 20% bacon ends&pieces. Awesome Burger!
YUP!!!

I'll also chuck in (pun intended) venison trimmings and the occasional turkey thigh/drum (I smoke a lot of turkeys).

I'd stick with choice Sirloin or round, and add fat from bacon ends or rendered suet. I personally like a closer to 75/25 mix when I go with this route, and a thin patty that I double stack and grill for 1-2 mins per side at high heat.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:13 AM

14,941 posts, read 18,710,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I agree about 80/20 chuck being the best for burgers. We buy it from our local meat market where it is ground fresh daily.
Fresh ground and never, ever frozen. DH was a butcher and owned his own shop and meat packing house and insists on 80/20 or 85/15.

Ironically, I just read this article a few days ago. https://www.cookscountry.com/how_tos/10886-burgers-101

Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 AM

2,725 posts, read 1,717,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My opinion is that when its ground into the burger, it makes little difference. Its kind of like buying a $100 bottle of fine Bourbon and then mixing it with Coca-Cola.

If you think Grass fed tastes better have at it. Traditionally a grass fed piece is going to have a lower grade because there's less fat.

"Prime," "Choice," or "Select" refer to the amount of marbling one would see in the steak. Marbling is the fat streaks. So, what difference does it make if its ground up?

Ground Chuck has to be 80-85% lean. Ground Round 85-90, Ground Sirloin 90-92% lean.

I think the important thing is to get it from someone that grinds it regularly onsite. I like Ground chuck. Any leaner and the burgers fall apart. Any fattier and the burgers shrink to nothing.

So are you saying that if I grind up a ribeye, or a Prime rib, that there is no difference between a ground ribeye or Prime rib and a ground shoulder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink