U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,019 posts, read 18,874,120 times
Reputation: 23994

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...BBnb7Kw#page=2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2019, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
11,418 posts, read 3,897,802 times
Reputation: 7073
It's a type of seasoned salt, that is especially popular in Australia.

Seasoned salt - Wikipedia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,019 posts, read 18,874,120 times
Reputation: 23994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's a type of seasoned salt, that is especially popular in Australia.

Seasoned salt - Wikipedia

Yeah, that's what the article says. But have you ever tasted it??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
11,418 posts, read 3,897,802 times
Reputation: 7073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yeah, that's what the article says. But have you ever tasted it??????
It's just chicken seasoning, the Australians put on their chips (french fries) and other food.

You can buy chicken seasoning in most countries, although I will stick to using it on chicken rather than on chips.

You can also make your own, it's just onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, paprika, chicken bouillon and monosodium glutamate with some curry powder.

Chicken salt: the rise and fall (and rise again?) of Australia's favourite condiment - The Guardian


Last edited by Brave New World; 05-17-2019 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 09:08 AM
 
Location: North Idaho
22,521 posts, read 28,429,142 times
Reputation: 43371
It's pretty tasty, but it is a salt, so use sparingly.

My experience, it's not salt to go on french fries like BNW is saying. It's dehydrated chicken, salt and MSG, so two different products with the same name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 AM
 
5,316 posts, read 2,759,690 times
Reputation: 9845
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's pretty tasty, but it is a salt, so use sparingly.

My experience, it's not salt to go on french fries like BNW is saying. It's dehydrated chicken, salt and MSG, so two different products with the same name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's just chicken seasoning, the Australians put on their chips (french fries) and other food.

You can buy chicken seasoning in most countries, although I will stick to using it on chicken rather than on chips.

You can also make your own, it's just onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, paprika, chicken bouillon and monosodium glutamate with some curry powder.

Chicken salt: the rise and fall (and rise again?) of Australia's favourite condiment - The Guardian

That sounds like the packets for chicken ramen, perhaps with added celery salt and paprika. I throw these packets away, but they might be OK used sparingly to salt unseasoned chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2019, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Reputation: 41534
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That sounds like the packets for chicken ramen, perhaps with added celery salt and paprika. I throw these packets away, but they might be OK used sparingly to salt unseasoned chicken.
My thought exactly or one of many spices we get that is primarily sodium. I don't think I am going to go out of my way to find it. I have enough salt based spices already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,019 posts, read 18,874,120 times
Reputation: 23994
It's only nine bucks on Amazon, so I figured what the heck? And ordered some. Will revisit this discussion after I've played around with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2019, 03:47 PM
 
Location: League City, Texas
2,896 posts, read 4,584,401 times
Reputation: 6055
I have some. It's just a seasoned salt (no chicken in it!). I got it on the Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
11,418 posts, read 3,897,802 times
Reputation: 7073
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I have some. It's just a seasoned salt (no chicken in it!). I got it on the Amazon.
It was first created by an Australian called Peter Brinkworth in the back of his poultry store,Brinkworth Poultry, Game and Seafood – a wholesale food supplier in Gawler in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

His original chicken salt included onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, paprika, chicken bouillon and monosodium glutamate. The vibrant orange-yellow colour came from the addition of curry powder. He can’t remember the specific brand but, as a lifelong Keen’s man, he suspects it might have been that.

Keen’s is an interesting addition. It’s an Australian blend developed in Tasmania in the 19th century and, while curry powders abroad usually contain cumin for its distinctive “curry” taste, Keen’s does not. This may explain why its mild blend of sweet spices doesn’t dominate when chicken salt is used as a chip seasoning.


Chicken salt: we find the creator of an Australian classic – and he tells us everything - The Guardian



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top