Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:34 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,632 times

Advertisements

I had brunch with a friend at a popular cafe, and I thought my meal was terrible. There were a lot of sour, uneatable fried onions left on my plate, and while waiting for the server to take my plate I used my fork to spell out "A W F U L" in onions. The waiter noticed what I had done and chuckled, but there was no response other than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:21 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I am pretty shy but I will always tell the chef or the waiter or the manager if the food did not live up to my expectations.

I figure nobody who cannot cook should ever be a professional chef and it you have no idea about food, another profession might be a good idea.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people have the gall to charge you money for what amounts to not even bad home cooking.

I also always leave reviews on various sites and will tell friends and family not to go there as well.

As far as I'm concerned a restaurant is a place where professional chefs and staff work so I feel no need to stay quiet and taking bad food or bad service.

You can be polite but still frank and honest about your experience and feelings.
There is no excuse for a bad meal in a restaurant.

I don't know enough about the law to open a law firm, why should someone feel arrogant enough to think they can cook in a professional kitchen when they have no aptitude for gastronomy ?

It seems quite reasonable to expect a minimum of standards when you go out to dinner !

Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I think it depends what kind of place it is. If it is pretentious and expensive, then my food damn well better be perfect or I will say something.
If it's just another cheap dive, I'll probably just not go back. I will always say something if the food is cold or if there is something gross in it, but if it's just not good, I'll just figure they're incompetent and not go back. Like, telling them won't make them know how to cook better anyway..
If I were a dedicated chef with my own restaurant, I would truly want to hear the honest opinions of my customers.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:27 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,478,979 times
Let me put it this way. I would complain if I had a really bad meal but only AFTER I was done eating!

Old 04-19-2008, 10:58 AM

9 posts, read 42,946 times
Talking Food complaint

I am married to a chef, now retired. We made it a practice to always eat at the competition...
As far as good and bad food... Even though he was the executive chef, he did not always see every dish that went out but certainly corrected any that were bad. His attitude has always been there is nothing worse for a restaurant to have 1 bad customer... that customer always has a mouth - and rightly so. He always compensated the customer when a problem was brought to his attention. Now he is hesitant to complain.. but not me. He has taught me how. Send the food back, don't lie about it and if you have to send the dish back 2, 3 or 4 times, the kitchen gets the message and the whole staff knows. Someone who really cares will ask how the food is. 100 complements can be nothing against 1 complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink