U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:56 AM

71,683 posts, read 83,244,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Probably the only canned products we use are tomatoes, beans, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and the occasional "soup" as an ingredient. We don't use any canned veges. We rarely have the same meal twice in a two month period and unless we have planned to go out, stick to our planned meals.
off subject but we too eat very few canned goods: maybe a little more than you. We do use creamed soups for a cream type of sauce, spoiled brat keeps a few cans of soup on hand for lunch when I am not home. I do keep a few cans of beans for salad or Mexican breakfast after church and we always have tuna. That is about it, maybe a can of corn,but it has been awhile. As for canned anything else, I love to do our own canning during the summer. I know exactly what is in the jar that way. We do eat our favorite foods more than every few months though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 09:01 AM

17,075 posts, read 19,415,512 times
Injera

I have to get me some of that.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:03 AM

21,565 posts, read 14,180,052 times
This morning I thought of something. Starlight mints. I like them, have bought them in the past, but never think to buy them now. I don’t eat candy except for dark chocolate, except for these. But I forget to buy them.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:20 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,019,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This morning I thought of something. Starlight mints. I like them, have bought them in the past, but never think to buy them now. I don’t eat candy except for dark chocolate, except for these. But I forget to buy them.
I'm with you, I don't eat candy unless it is good chocolate. Anything else, esp. hard candy, is just really bad for your teeth. Pure sugar and stays in the mouth a long time.

I use non-dairy milk with my cold cereal.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:18 AM

1,188 posts, read 290,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
off subject but we too eat very few canned goods: maybe a little more than you. We do use creamed soups for a cream type of sauce, spoiled brat keeps a few cans of soup on hand for lunch when I am not home. I do keep a few cans of beans for salad or Mexican breakfast after church and we always have tuna. That is about it, maybe a can of corn,but it has been awhile. As for canned anything else, I love to do our own canning during the summer. I know exactly what is in the jar that way. We do eat our favorite foods more than every few months though
The reason for us not repeating is we are very adventurous eaters and love trying new dishes from different cuisines. We do have some canned chilis like chipotle in adobo and Hatch when I can't get them fresh. I have several meal size bags of roasted, peeled and seeded Hatches from last season in the deep freezer. We do buy things in bulk, vacuum seal and freeze. I'm a snob when it comes to canned/jarred tuna, it has to be yellowfin, packed in olive oil from Spain or Italy. Even when I used to buy albacore, it had to be packed in olive oil. We do keep some frozen corn and peas on hand.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:20 PM

3,164 posts, read 1,198,275 times
Shrimp.
Sausage.
Pancakes.
Waffles.
Olives.
Blueberries.
Swiss cheese.
Frozen yogurt.
Pepsi and PayDay.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:36 PM

12,067 posts, read 12,397,565 times
Dinty Moore Beef Stew. I used to inhale the stuff. Now that I'm older and my taste buds more sophisticated, I can't stand it.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:29 PM

409 posts, read 631,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Potato pancakes. No matter WHAT I do, mine are never as good as my mother's were.
Growing up, we used to eat potato pancakes made by my grandmother. We loved them. After she passed, my mother made them for a while then stopped because she thought they were too greasy. Fast forward 2 decades and I got the recipe from her and made them myself. Only once. Yup, way too greasy.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:32 PM

4,915 posts, read 7,842,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I don't eat candy unless it is good chocolate.
Me too. What's the point of even eating it? I don't anymore, haven't since they went for cheap ingredients.

I'm looking at you Mars, Nestle, and Hershey's.

They have cheapened their products to the point of it being inedible. Waxy, cheapo chocolate. I'll pass.

I miss the old M&M's, Snickers, Butterfingers, etc. Oh well.

There's always Dove and better brands, and I'm willing to pay more for good quality chocolate.

As with ice cream, I don't indulge often. But it better be good when I do.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:50 PM

71 posts, read 18,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
Doo Dads. I ate them regularly while growing up. Then I went off to boarding school and college. A couple years ago, I wanted to buy some but I couldn't find it in any grocery store.

https://www.change.org/p/nabisco-sta...doo-dads-again

You know, I always thought Chex Mix used to have peanuts and removed them due to complaints about allergies, but it was actually Doo Dads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink