U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 06:45 AM

10,237 posts, read 4,800,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I like mangoes, but never had any interest in eating the peel.

I don't go for that criss-cross krap, which Wegmans workers employ to hand out tiny samples, either. I want strips and large pieces. I use a Y peeler, then cut strips, getting as close as possible to the pit. Couldn't be easier.
That's what I do. Never considered eating the skin just like I would not eat the orange skin or a banana skin. Not all mangos are created equal. Some are very stringy. Here in Florida I prefer honey mangos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 05:38 PM

12,492 posts, read 14,971,421 times
We enjoy mangos a lot also, but don’t consume the skin.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 PM

12,997 posts, read 6,216,804 times
I never eat the skin unless it’s a large green mango type where the skin is much thinner.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:08 AM

17,771 posts, read 53,934,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
I developed an allergic reaction to Mango skin! I discovered I loved Mangos in the 90's and started buying them. I loved them sooo much I was not content to cut the fruit off the skin and eat just that but nibbled the fruit off the skins too. After a few times I developed a rash like poison ivy all over my mouth and down my chin!

It took days to go away and I heard that I probably still could eat Mango but never the skin, but after that I avoid them pretty much.

I am also allergic to poison ivy and they are related.
+2 Yep. That is a fairly common reaction. We had mango trees in south Florida and discovered our increasing sensitivity after about the third year. There are different varieties of the fruit. We found the "Keet" to have the nicest flavor, almost like an ice cream in smoothness.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:51 AM

1,200 posts, read 294,171 times
There are at least 165 varieties of mango. Until recently I would not touch a mango because of a bad experience growing up. Had an old Cuban couple living in our neighborhood that had a mango tree. our elementary school was across the street from their home. They used to give us sugar cane and mangoes. The mangoes were very stringy and tasted like turpentine. And we called them "Turpentine Mangoes". I associated that taste with all mangoes. Then about 2 years ago my buds father gave us a couple of "Honeybell Mangoes". Now my attitude toward mangoes has changed. Given the 165 different varieties, I'm sure there are those that the skin can be eaten and those that you would never consider eating the skin.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:34 AM

2,058 posts, read 653,299 times
I'm a big fan of mango and I eat it several times a week. I've never given a second thought to eating the skin. I usually buy the pre-cut and peeled stuff from the refrigerated produce section of the grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink