U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:08 AM

1,187 posts, read 290,095 times

Advertisements

Other than condiments, what's in your pantry, refrigerator and Freezer? I keep canned tomatoes, canned beans, some canned soups as ingredients, some packaged seasoning, frozen peas and corn, filo and puff pastry, Dim Sum wrappers and fresh pasta (tortellini mostly). How dependent on these foods are you for meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 07:03 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,624,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Other than condiments, what's in your pantry, refrigerator and Freezer? I keep canned tomatoes, canned beans, some canned soups as ingredients, some packaged seasoning, frozen peas and corn, filo and puff pastry, Dim Sum wrappers and fresh pasta (tortellini mostly). How dependent on these foods are you for meals.
Not sure what you mean by "commercially produced". Isn't anything you buy with money - including food that you yourself don't pick from the ground or off a tree - "commercially produced"?

Perhaps you mean "industrially processed"?

I wonder to what extent are frozen frozen corn, peas and vegetables are industrially processed.

I also wonder whether "fresh" pasta is more industrially processed than regular dry box pasta. To be sure, "enriched" (actually impoverished) white pasta is industrially processed, but perhaps whole wheat pasta less so.

I buy dry flours (unbleached, organic, many whole grain) and grains (e.g. rice, quinoa, millet) in bags.

I try to avoid anything canned and usually buy dry legumes and soak them, then in a pressure cooker or slow-cooking pot if soft enough.

But I do buy and store things like ketchup, mustard, various herbs and seeds, vegetable oils (highly industrially processed), bread crumbs, pancake mix (I could make my own from scratch), yeast (I can and do cultivate my own), and intermittently fried/baked snacks like potato chips, plantain chips, and pretzels (I can and do make big soft pretzels at home from scratch, but not the hard, small, crunchy ones), and instant coffee, all industrially processed to some degree or other.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:14 AM

71,678 posts, read 83,244,992 times
I have to admit I am one of those who are always claiming I cook only from scratch and use mostly fresh everything, but in all honestly, I have to admit, when I look in my pantry I realize how many processed foods I do use. I use canned soups for cream sauce sometimes, keep a few cans of soup on hand for spoiled brat when I am not going to be home at lunch time. We keep little servings of pudding, both as a snack and as a sauce for fruit salad. Also canned tomatoes, Tuna, salmon, maybe canned beans, and corn. Also condiments, artichoke hearts, and yes, even packaged rice mixes and reman noodles. I still do cook mostly from scratch and about the only processed food in our freezer is a couple of pizzas. The processed or canned foods we do use we use rarely but I would be lying if I said "never"

Old 06-01-2019, 08:24 AM

8,847 posts, read 8,328,137 times
Canned tomatoes, beans, pasta, chicken broth, tortillas, butter.

I purchase meat rather than butcher it. I purchase most vegetables seasonally, although I will occasionally purchase frozen.

Most of the rest I make myself. I bake about 1/2 the bread I eat, I make all of the soups I eat, all of the baked goods, all of the sauces.

Basically I avoid the frozen food section of the grocery store, the prepared foods section, and most of the center aisles. Probably 80% of what I eat comes from the outer sections.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:26 PM

8,131 posts, read 11,034,965 times
Too many to list. I hate shopping and always have a full pantry.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:39 PM

21,552 posts, read 14,180,052 times
Canned tomatoes and beans for sure. Also canned tuna, salmon and sardines, molasses, a few frozen veggies, cream cheese, almond and peanut butter and jam, bread, English muffins, smoked sausages, salami, bacon, ice cream, cooking oil and vinegars, rice cakes and snack crackers, chocolate bars, seasoned salt.

There are probably more. DH buys soup, but I never use the stuff for myself.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:21 AM

793 posts, read 1,109,760 times
I have started to gain little things more and more. My little pantry is pretty stuffed, which is good. Here's a basic list i try to keep in the pantry.

Bags of assorted dried beans; red, black, white, and brown. You never know when chili can be made!
Tomatoes, whole peeled and tomato paste.
Tinned food: fish, chicken, salmon, spam, and Vienna sausages.
Canned veggies; corn, peas, carrots.
Soups, usually cream of... (Cream of bacon is a new house favorite).
Grains; rice, lentils.
Baking; sugar, unbleached flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, powered chocolate.
Liquids; olive oil, vegetable oil, avocado oil; balsamic, apple cider, white and red wine vinegar/cooking wine.
Assorted bread like torts, Flatbread and wheat bread.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:58 AM

18,278 posts, read 23,403,969 times
if I had to live off the land....I think I could... I saw 3 deer roadkills just yesterday
and the lake I live on is loaded with fish ..many ducks and geese around..

the older I get I try to steer away from process stuff but im a hypocrite....will spend 15 minutes reading labels …..to see which food item is better but then get a hot fudge sundae with chocolate syrup with whipped cream ….. and don't think twice whats in that ….because it tastes so good...even if they use the cheap canned whipped cream I refuse to buy..

so yes my cupboards have commercially made items in them

Old 06-02-2019, 05:05 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,624,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Basically I avoid the frozen food section of the grocery store ...
I buy frozen peas, but avoid the rest.

Again, does anyone know to what extent frozen legumes and vegetables are industrially processed? Apart from frozen vegetables tasting terrible (the peas are okay), do they lose nutrients in the freezing process?

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:20 AM

8,847 posts, read 8,328,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I buy frozen peas, but avoid the rest.

Again, does anyone know to what extent frozen legumes and vegetables are industrially processed? Apart from frozen vegetables tasting terrible (the peas are okay), do they lose nutrients in the freezing process?

Thanks.
The OP is difficult to answer because the definition of processed food is so subjective.

I have 3-5 different types of flour in the house at any time (White, whole wheat, almond, chick-pea...), and as I do not grow my own grains nor mill them into flour, I am definitely purchasing a processed food product. Same thing with rice, oatmeal, nuts, beans, spices, cheese, etc.

My assumption was that the discussion was around things similar to prepared foods. Croissants, TV dinners, spray cheese, canned ravioli, bottled Alfredo sauce, and the like.

In my opinion, frozen vegetables are pretty good. They lose some texture, but should maintain most nutrient value. Fresh is inevitably going to be better, but frozen seems to be a reasonable alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or