U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you butter your bread for a sandwich?
Butter plain or flavored 16 20.51%
Margarine or other fat (mayo, olive oil...) 20 25.64%
Dairy spread (brie, cream cheese... ) 0 0%
Veggie spread (avocado, hummus, ajvar, bean dip...) 2 2.56%
Other (marmite, vegemite, mustard, sauce...) 11 14.10%
Dry bread 29 37.18%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 09:21 PM

7,119 posts, read 4,046,029 times

Advertisements

If it's toast for breakfast, I use real butter and a fruit jam. If it's a sandwich, I use Miracle Whip and stone ground mustard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 10:43 PM

37,739 posts, read 55,407,000 times
Sometimes I mix my mayo with a small amount of mustard or horseradish or even both, and that goes on the top of my meaty cold-cuts. It probably would taste good spreaded directly on the bread.
Mayo alone doesn't have much taste, but my fav - the Japanese Kewpie is a bit tangy, though.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:23 AM

530 posts, read 154,618 times
I had my British friends over for a luncheon of sandwiches and soup. While I made their sandwiches I asked if anyone had any dietary restrictions. The wife said don't put butter on her hubby's sandwich because he's watching his LDL I stopped and thought to myself, I've never ever put butter on a sandwich. Ever since then, I will put butter on my own sandwiches.

This is a small but nice addition, I've discovered. Even better than butter alone, add black olives on a sandwich. It changes the game. Butter and black olives as condiments bumps it up to the point that you will be making your own sandwiches and anticipating the next one.

IMO

Old 06-02-2019, 12:59 AM

3,160 posts, read 1,965,313 times
Ms. Elnina,
Ever had a Rueben sandwich?
They are delicious!
Take seeded rye bread, and a bit of olive or grapeseed oil, heated in skillet. Toast both sides of two slices.
Set aside.
Meanwhile, make the dressing, or sandwich spread. Mayonnaise, with a dash of ketchup, enough to turn it pink. Add diced sour pickles, and spread each slice of bread.
In same skillet, add sauerkraut, corn beef, heat until sizzling. Top with a slice of swiss, cover to let swiss cheese melt. Remove and add to bread. Serve with a koscher dill. Slice in half and enjoy.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Ms. Elnina,
Ever had a Rueben sandwich?
They are delicious!
Take seeded rye bread, and a bit of olive or grapeseed oil, heated in skillet. Toast both sides of two slices.
Set aside.
Meanwhile, make the dressing, or sandwich spread. Mayonnaise, with a dash of ketchup, enough to turn it pink. Add diced sour pickles, and spread each slice of bread.
In same skillet, add sauerkraut, corn beef, heat until sizzling. Top with a slice of swiss, cover to let swiss cheese melt. Remove and add to bread. Serve with a koscher dill. Slice in half and enjoy.
This is absolutely worth the time! It sounds fantastic! It's 3 AM here and I AM hungry!!!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-02-2019, 02:09 AM

11,419 posts, read 3,901,390 times
In Britain and Ireland, sandwiches have butter on them.

A guide to butter by Clare Finney - Great British Chefs

Old 06-02-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In the UK, sandwiches have butter on them.
I saw them being buttered in most of Europe, but I never saw anyone making a sandwich in the US. Thus my question.
the-european-trick-to-making-better-sandwiches-article

BTW: The origins of the humble sandwich supposedly lie with John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, in the 1700s. Poor old John was too busy gambling to eat a proper meal so would ask his servants to pop his roast dinner between two slices of bread. For someone who became an earl at age ten, that’s some pretty forward thinking – and to say the sandwich has taken off is probably the understatement of the century.

Last edited by elnina; 06-02-2019 at 02:30 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 02:19 AM

11,419 posts, read 3,901,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I saw them being buttered in most of Europe, but I never saw anyone making a sandwich in the US. Thus my question.

Most Europeans use Butter or Margarine, although I suppose it's what you are brought up with.

It's also normal to put butter on scones, toast, crumpets etc in Britain.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:41 AM

18,288 posts, read 23,418,375 times
the things you learn.....around the world and a few states over...

butter on bread was a "side" growing up....both were cheap.....

and growing up...the food scientists back then said ...real butter will kill you but this shed spread margarine.....is ok.. (in the 70's) I love butter/margarine......we used tons of it on popcorn on Saturday nights...popcorn was a treat

after high school I worked in a slaughterhouse and on a commercial fishing boat and had a small.... apartment.... one of my favs to cook was grilled cheese sandwiches....because I could buy 2 day old bread at the bread thrift store.... a bucket of margarine was cheap and the cheap cheese or whatever it is... wasn't much...…..id butter the outside of the bread and fry up the sandwiches...….sometimes having 4-5 sandwiches...might be all I ate for the day

and to bring lunches...out on the boat or in the barn.....id sometimes bring buttered bread and that was it...

French toast was my other fav to cook because that was so cheap to make......but if I didn't have any syrup id put butter on ..

I only buy real butter today ….. and love the flavor...

just the other day I drove by a place I use to park my car (and sleep in it between jobs......after the slaughterhouse job..and clean up.....id drive to the coast and would have to get up by 3-4 am for the fishing job) but id have a loaf of bread and butter/margarine in the car...lol )

Old 06-02-2019, 06:50 AM

10,222 posts, read 4,789,512 times
I mostly use mayo unless it's an Italian sub then it's a little olive oil & vinegar. I only use butter on grilled cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or