U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 08:15 AM

15,011 posts, read 18,864,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Since watermelon tends to get eaten in large pieces, the amount of carbohydrates can be very high.
Umm, who cares?

I LOVE watermelon. Eat it multiple times a day in season.

I agree that the season makes a big difference. I stopped eating watermelon with seeds years ago. I won't pay the ridiculous prices they want for those little individual size watermelons.

At this precise moment, I have two decent size uncut watermelons in my fridge, and the last remains of chunks that were cut from the third. The cost for each was $2.99. I doubt they will last a week.

(Watermelon, diet Snapple and bottles of white and rose wine are the reason I have TWO extra refrigerators in the garage. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 08:22 AM

11,358 posts, read 20,150,912 times
Thanks - I'll be sure to cut it today (and hope it's good)

Old 06-02-2019, 08:36 AM

26,793 posts, read 5,726,538 times
I resorted to never eating it out of season and buying only 1/2 melon from grocery in order to confirm I'd get ripe fruit.

Works for me but most need a whole watermelon, of course.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,507 posts, read 54,051,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I grew a couple of watermelons in San Jose one summer and until I ate those, I never knew watermelon could taste so good. But then, the same thing happened when I ate homegrown cherry tomatoes, corn, and strawberries.

I think this is the reason kids don't eat vegetables. They taste like crap if they come from a grocery store. I've never found a sweet watermelon in any store since. Nor have I ever found any other fruit that tasted good coming from a store. I had some blueberries I got at a Farmers Market once and gave them to a friend. Her remark was that it was like eating a totally different fruit.

This is why I so seldom buy any fruits and vegetables from any grocery store. I just wish our Farmers Markets weren't so expensive and carried more variety.
Try the one Inn Issaquah, on Saturday’s. Good prices and variety. They even have the rare white eggplant late in the season. The one here in Sammamish is like you said, expensive and poor variety.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:12 AM

55,557 posts, read 54,174,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Umm, who cares?

I LOVE watermelon. Eat it multiple times a day in season.

I agree that the season makes a big difference. I stopped eating watermelon with seeds years ago. I won't pay the ridiculous prices they want for those little individual size watermelons.

At this precise moment, I have two decent size uncut watermelons in my fridge, and the last remains of chunks that were cut from the third. The cost for each was $2.99. I doubt they will last a week.

(Watermelon, diet Snapple and bottles of white and rose wine are the reason I have TWO extra refrigerators in the garage. )
Same here. I eat watermelon every day in summer.

I didn't mind the seeds. The ones with the black seeds were always tastier. Then the "seedless", which actually has small white seeds, came along, and then all of a sudden you couldn't get the ones with the seeds anywhere at all.

It's an American childhood tradition to spit watermelon seeds at your siblings. What the heck are kids supposed to do now?

Old 06-02-2019, 09:46 AM

21,552 posts, read 14,180,052 times
I tend to eat melons in season. They are better then, and you can buy homegrown ones. Or at least close to home grown. There is nothing more disheartening than a flavorless melon.

I only buy corn on the cob in season, as well. Even then, sometimes the flavor is lacking.but at least you have a shot at getting sweet corn that is sweet.

Right now, I am buying the first of the local strawberries. We’ve had great asparagus as well, which has been so flavorful and fresh tasting.

I do buy apples out if season, but I buy WA apples whenever possible, and leave the S. American apples in the store.

I would enjoy eating a different banana. I am sort of surprised some enterprising person has not begun importing them. Seems like a good agro enterprise for Hawaii as well.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:08 AM

661 posts, read 226,776 times
If you know what to look for in them, you can find a sweet watermelon at any time of the year really. I have noticed no increasing difficulty in picking the good ones out either. You may have to try a few stores though as some batches are just no good.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:43 AM

3,219 posts, read 1,305,286 times
I see different bananas near me, though it's most usually the "baby" bananas. I've seen them in yellow and red and sometimes you need to go to an ethnic market (Latin or Asian) to find them.

I also find not all farm markets are alike. We have a large, long-standing and well-known one near us and I've been consistently disappointed with what I've gotten there. The one a mile down the road that looks like a wreck is the place to go. You can smell the fruit the minute you open the car door and unfortunately, so can about a billion flies. But I remarked to the woman about finding sweet watermelon and her reply was that if it wasn't sweet, I should "just throw it out in the field" and come back and she'd give me another. It was the best watermelon I've had in some time and so good that the next time I was willing to try one of her seedless varieties, which was better than I expected, though not as good as the seeded one.

They also have ripe peaches that actually are ripe. Of course you have to eat them TODAY because tomorrow will be too overripe (then you have to drink them, preferably with some liquor and ice mixed in).

As for fruits from afar, we've had the best pineapples of my life the last few years from the supermarket. Bring them home, let them ripen a few days, and they're magic.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:31 PM

35,086 posts, read 10,364,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Same here. I eat watermelon every day in summer.

I didn't mind the seeds. The ones with the black seeds were always tastier. Then the "seedless", which actually has small white seeds, came along, and then all of a sudden you couldn't get the ones with the seeds anywhere at all.

It's an American childhood tradition to spit watermelon seeds at your siblings. What the heck are kids supposed to do now?

Tell me about it. When my brothers weren't running over my dolls with their Tonka trucks, they were spittin' watermelon seeds at me.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:35 PM

55,557 posts, read 54,174,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Tell me about it. When my brothers weren't running over my dolls with their Tonka trucks, they were spittin' watermelon seeds at me.
My older brother watched a monster movie, and the next day he decided our dog Debbie would be the monster and my new Barbie would be the girl who gets eaten by the monster.

I cried when I finally got my now-chewed-up Barbie back, and my mother told my brother he had to buy me a replacement. He came back from the store with Ricky, who was Skipper's plastic-haired boyfriend. I didn't want Ricky. I wanted a new Barbie!!!!

He deserved having watermelon seeds spit at him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink