U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 05:42 PM

12,458 posts, read 14,944,658 times

Advertisements

We pan fry pork chops frequently as a main dish, and use pork shoulder for slow cooker roasts and carnitas in tacos & burritos. I love pork belly too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 05:43 PM

14,196 posts, read 23,882,514 times
I never ate much pork when I was younger as what was available at home was very fatty and greasy. It was also usually covered with sauerkraut.

I really enjoy the leaner pork these days and I usually serve it 2-3 times a week.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:06 PM

37,690 posts, read 55,360,122 times
At home, I eat more pork than chicken, but you are right - at restaurants pork isn't utilized. Some don't have any meals made of it, not even pork chops or ribs.
I think BBQ places sell it the most.
Generally, I noticed that - chicken is used for the cheaper dish choices, beef for expensive, and there is not much in between.
In the stores people also buy mostly beef or chicken. Maybe they don't know what to do with pork? It's used mostly for BBQ?
If you look at recipes, pork isn't much advertised either.
But then, look at this:
https://www.nationalchickencouncil.o...012-in-pounds/
The stats are saying something completely different.
The consumption of beef and pork seems to be even...
So, is pork used mostly in processed food? Sausages, bacon, ham, canned food, ready to eat dinners...

There are plenty of cuts to be utilized:
Spoiler
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:57 PM

6,818 posts, read 3,799,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is pork under utilized as an entree main ingredient? I am using NYC metro as an example.

In NYC, pork is hardly used. There is the pork chop and that is it. If you go to Diner they have pork chop. Just plain pork chop. Most diners will have different variations on chicken even though it is same exact cut. The chicken will be presented in different sauces like fra diavolo, francaise, parm, cordon bleu, marsala, etc etc. But not with pork. The pork is always over cooked too.

Obviously there is sausage, bacon, and ham, but that is like a topping and not the main course or feature of the entree.

At steak houses in NYC, there is the double cut Jersey Pork Chop. Are they really from NJ? I never knew NJ has a pork industry. But that is it. Steaks have many different cuts, so why not pork? Both pig, and cow are four legged animals. They musculature should be similar.

Ok there are the southern style slow smoked BBQ restaurants. They use pork ribs, and I dont know what for pulled pork. Is slow smoking the best way to cook pork, thereby putting a lot of restaurant styles out of the equation due to necessary setup for slow smoking?

In french and italian restaurants in the NYC area, I notice they dont have pork as a main entree. Well every now and then they have pork chop special, but again is just plain pork chop and usually over cooked. Now latin restaurants have pernil, carnitas, pastor. Chinese use a lot of pork slivers, and pork belly.

The German and polish restaurants will have pork main entrees though they are few and far between, and they have smaller menus. The polish like pork shoulder, and pork cutlet. Germans have the smoked pork chop, and tenderloin. Do the French, and Italians not eat a lot of pork?
Boy, you've really named a lot of ways pork is prepared for a guy complaining about a scarcity of pork variety in area restaurants.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:57 PM

6,091 posts, read 6,295,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Agreed, and I'm from NYC originally. OP needs a bigger baseline to judge these things with. NYC is much bigger than Manhattan south of 110th Street
LOL, I already brought up the asian, and latino eateries. But again they dont have too much variation. Latin especially mexican is basically the same ingredients arranged in different order or wrapped differently. Enchiladas, Tacos, burritos are basically the same thing.

I am more referring to regular american/european style establishments.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Boy, you've really named a lot of ways pork is prepared for a guy complaining about a scarcity of pork variety in area restaurants.
LOL again, I am talking more about American/european styled eateries. And I am discounting ham, sausage, and bacon. Those are not main entrees. Those are more like toppings.

One other type of restaurant I forget to mention is the casual chains like Applebees. They have many more chicken, and beef dishes than pork aside from maybe ribs/riblets.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
At home, I eat more pork than chicken, but you are right - at restaurants pork isn't utilized. Some don't have any meals made of it, not even pork chops or ribs.
I think BBQ places sell it the most.
Generally, I noticed that - chicken is used for the cheaper dish choices, beef for expensive, and there is not much in between.
In the stores people also buy mostly beef or chicken. Maybe they don't know what to do with pork? It's used mostly for BBQ?
If you look at recipes, pork isn't much advertised either.
But then, look at this:
https://www.nationalchickencouncil.o...012-in-pounds/
The stats are saying something completely different.
The consumption of beef and pork seems to be even...
So, is pork used mostly in processed food? Sausages, bacon, ham, canned food, ready to eat dinners...

There are plenty of cuts to be utilized:
Exactly, there are as many cuts of pork as there is beef, but no restaurants devoted to pork. BBQ has pork, but also chicken and beef. While Beef has steakhouse, and there are fast foods devoted to chicken. Pork gets no love.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:04 PM

3,250 posts, read 1,294,379 times
It is in the Middle East, that's for sure.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:46 PM

10,955 posts, read 6,162,859 times
At our house, and going out to eat on occasion, itís chicken, or fish, then beef,
then pork. I usually donít think about it until I look at the CD Thread, What did you have for dinner?
Iíll see pork chops and then think when was it that we had it last? Canít remember. Add to grocery list

I remember there was a commercial for it. Went something like, ďPork - the other white meat.Ē I have not seen it play on tv for a long time.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 478,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Agreed, and I'm from NYC originally. OP needs a bigger baseline to judge these things with. NYC is much bigger than Manhattan south of 110th Street
Even South of 110th st is filled with pork. There are a lot of Chinese reataurants, Italian restaurants, Mexican restaurants, and BBQ restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink