U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2019, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,299 posts, read 84,032,787 times
Reputation: 42056

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There's the Campbells soups and the Progresso soups.
That is very true and I thought about that after I posted; but for some reason "Campbell's just comes to mind. Just an add on: one of our favorite products at Aldi's is their pesto sauce. They have red and green. When I think of pesto, I always think basil so the green is our favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2019, 09:30 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,103 posts, read 27,429,287 times
Reputation: 9099
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That is very true and I thought about that after I posted; but for some reason "Campbell's just comes to mind. Just an add on: one of our favorite products at Aldi's is their pesto sauce. They have red and green. When I think of pesto, I always think basil so the green is our favorite.
I have to say that one of my favorite items from Aldi is the pumpkin chipotle pasta sauce that they get in during the fall. I think it comes in under their Priano label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2019, 10:34 PM
 
1,643 posts, read 1,503,124 times
Reputation: 4642
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Aside from Albert Heijn, Lidl and Aldi were our favorite shops in the Netherlands. We just went to our new Aldi in LA, for the first time hoping to see similar items...nope. Lidl was actually my favorite for quality and price, (Albert Heijn can be pricey) so I hope it isn't going to be as much of a dud as Aldi was. We found a few German items (like the Moser Roth chocolates) but most of the store is just unbranded locally sourced merchandise.

I thought it was just me! My first experiences with Aldi were in Europe, mostly Germany. I just checked out our local Aldi in the US and it couldn't be more different. The store is only a year old, but unkempt and didn't have similar products to what I am used to seeing at Aldi. I was so disappointed. I bought some meat as I was there anyways and upon opening it was greeted with a very unpleasant odor. It was days away from the sell by date, but no way were we going to eat it. I don't think I will return. I will stick with Fresh Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2019, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,299 posts, read 84,032,787 times
Reputation: 42056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I thought it was just me! My first experiences with Aldi were in Europe, mostly Germany. I just checked out our local Aldi in the US and it couldn't be more different. The store is only a year old, but unkempt and didn't have similar products to what I am used to seeing at Aldi. I was so disappointed. I bought some meat as I was there anyways and upon opening it was greeted with a very unpleasant odor. It was days away from the sell by date, but no way were we going to eat it. I don't think I will return. I will stick with Fresh Market.
Interesting: our new Aldi's is just over a year old and is spotless. We couldn't dream of any store being any cleaner. As for spoiled meat, that I believe: we got ribs at ours awhile ago. The minute I unwrapped them I knew they were spoiled. I just froze them and we returned them the next visit. NO problem at all. I do not often buy meat there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2019, 03:47 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
22,103 posts, read 27,429,287 times
Reputation: 9099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I thought it was just me! My first experiences with Aldi were in Europe, mostly Germany. I just checked out our local Aldi in the US and it couldn't be more different. The store is only a year old, but unkempt and didn't have similar products to what I am used to seeing at Aldi. I was so disappointed. I bought some meat as I was there anyways and upon opening it was greeted with a very unpleasant odor. It was days away from the sell by date, but no way were we going to eat it. I don't think I will return. I will stick with Fresh Market.
I've never been in an unkempt Aldi, but I've heard complaints about 2, prior to your complaint. I've also never gotten bad meat at one. I'd take it back. They have one of the best return policies I've ever run into. They are also fanatical about pulling items that are on recall. It's another way that you can figure out the sourcing of their stock.

If you shopped at an Aldi Nord in Europe, Trader Joe's will be closer here. I was in an Aldi Sued in Germany and it was very similar to Aldi US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2019, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
3,856 posts, read 9,474,073 times
Reputation: 4418
I was in the vicinity of the one and only Aldi near Austin so I thought I'd stop in. I was so happy to find that they are carrying a California EVOO for $5.99 - much like the one I was buying at Trader Joes that was discontinued. Different brand, but still from California grown olives. Haven't tried it yet as I'm still on the last bottle of TJ's I bought before they stopped carrying it. I really prefer the California olive oil over the Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 12:19 PM
 
Location: North State (California)
40,455 posts, read 3,073,300 times
Reputation: 13235
They have discontinued the frozen sliced leeks. I love leeks, but hate messing with the fresh ones, so I bought the frozen leeks often. I guess not often enough, as they were discontinued due to poor sales
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,299 posts, read 84,032,787 times
Reputation: 42056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I was in the vicinity of the one and only Aldi near Austin so I thought I'd stop in. I was so happy to find that they are carrying a California EVOO for $5.99 - much like the one I was buying at Trader Joes that was discontinued. Different brand, but still from California grown olives. Haven't tried it yet as I'm still on the last bottle of TJ's I bought before they stopped carrying it. I really prefer the California olive oil over the Italian.
thanks Moonlady: I am out of EVOO or almost and usually buy it on line from a company named Fratelli Carli but it is so expensive. I will give Aldi's a try. I have seen it there but just wasn't sure if it would be all that good. We use a lot of EVOO so always looking to save a buck or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top