U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 07:46 PM

58,188 posts, read 41,009,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, that is not something I care about but I looked it up and apparently ALDI does sell a chocolate babka...

https://www.instacart.com/aldi/produ...te-babka-18-oz

Thanks, I'll have to try it! Aldis is right on the way to TJ's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 05:29 AM

71,992 posts, read 83,671,479 times
Quote:
I don't bother with Trader Joe's anymore. The few things that I liked there are no more. I can get just as good or better at ALDI now, they have really upped their game. They have the BEST real sourdough bread, and it is less than $3.00 per loaf! All kinds of other goodies too. And for the most part, way cheaper than Trader Joe's.
We are huge ALdi's shoppers but when it comes to sour dough bread Trader Joes is still much better and if I am going to drink cheap wine, I would much rather do Trader. I think there is a place for both stores. at least that is how I see it.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:02 AM

15,205 posts, read 31,165,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are huge ALdi's shoppers but when it comes to sour dough bread Trader Joes is still much better and if I am going to drink cheap wine, I would much rather do Trader. I think there is a place for both stores. at least that is how I see it.
Sure, different strokes. For me, it's not worth hauling way across town for TJ. And the ALDI bread to me is far superior. All of the ALDI stores near me are either brand new or remodeled and carry far more items, especially niche and organic than they used to, and at really good prices. So for me, no need for TJ. Also, I have had very good luck with wine at ALDI, although it's not as cheap as it used to be.

Old 06-15-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Sure, different strokes. For me, it's not worth hauling way across town for TJ. And the ALDI bread to me is far superior. All of the ALDI stores near me are either brand new or remodeled and carry far more items, especially niche and organic than they used to, and at really good prices. So for me, no need for TJ. Also, I have had very good luck with wine at ALDI, although it's not as cheap as it used to be.
Don't get me wrong: I love Aldi's and yes ours are all new or remodeled as well. Aldi's is our main grocery store except for meats which we usually get at Sam's. We don't even have a Trader Joes here, but we do have friends that always bring us back our favorite groceries from TJs when they visit or some who live here will be going somewhere that has TJs and pick us up a few of our "must haves" I agree about driving to Hell and back just to pick up a few items. We love Fresh Market but only go there about once a month: first it is way out of our budget and second it is way to far to drive.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:28 PM

570 posts, read 556,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog79 View Post
Not sure if they still have the black bean burritos I used to eat all the time.

They do at the one in Santa Barbara. Love them!

Old 06-18-2019, 06:34 AM

256 posts, read 477,570 times
I always hear about the beautiful Aldi's stores. I live in a working class minority area in the inner ring burbs of Chicago and all I can say about Aldi is that it's like a ghetto store. The few times I tried to shop there I continually saw products that were old and at the end of their shelf life. The stores were dirty and chaotic. I have many friends who shop there---I just keep my mouth shut and don't say a word but I'd N-e-v-e-r shop in any near me. I'd have to drive to white land (white majority towns) to find a decent one. Same thing with Walmart. Can't even step in there. It's a zoo. I've learned a lot by reading these comments.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:03 PM

15,205 posts, read 31,165,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
I always hear about the beautiful Aldi's stores. I live in a working class minority area in the inner ring burbs of Chicago and all I can say about Aldi is that it's like a ghetto store. The few times I tried to shop there I continually saw products that were old and at the end of their shelf life. The stores were dirty and chaotic. I have many friends who shop there---I just keep my mouth shut and don't say a word but I'd N-e-v-e-r shop in any near me. I'd have to drive to white land (white majority towns) to find a decent one. Same thing with Walmart. Can't even step in there. It's a zoo. I've learned a lot by reading these comments.
I understand. And I think no matter what name store you shop, if it is in that type neighborhood, it will be ghetto. I have experienced that as well. There are areas of town near me that are just super ghetto and I don't like to shop there. Thankfully, the ALDI is brand new, and so far is very nice. We'll see how long it lasts.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
It really does have to do with neighborhood and it makes good sense. I will somewhat disagree with you on old, produce . I have been shopping at Aldis 11 years and have only had that experience a couple of times but it can happen at any store. We have a new Aldi's now and it is fantastic; large, wide aisles, clean, etc. We used to shop at one that was very old and not the best neighborhood. yes, it was crowded until they enlarged it and yes, appeared dirty but I think that had more to do with how crowded it was. The quality of food was still the same as our nice new one. this goes for Walmart as well: the neighborhood seems to determine the quality of the store.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:52 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 23 days ago)

8,704 posts, read 10,850,989 times
Quote:
They still have great sour dough bread at least. I have found finding good quality rye is getting harder and harder.
My husband says the same about rye.We used to get rye bread at Paneras and they don't make it anymore. Now, it's called Rye Loaf, different from the other. Hmmm. Before, it was rye as the main ingred., but also muti-grainish, too. Really good, but they don't make it any longer.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:02 PM

21,987 posts, read 27,287,306 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong: I love Aldi's and yes ours are all new or remodeled as well. Aldi's is our main grocery store except for meats which we usually get at Sam's. We don't even have a Trader Joes here, but we do have friends that always bring us back our favorite groceries from TJs when they visit or some who live here will be going somewhere that has TJs and pick us up a few of our "must haves" I agree about driving to Hell and back just to pick up a few items. We love Fresh Market but only go there about once a month: first it is way out of our budget and second it is way to far to drive.
The nearest Trader Joe's is 35 miles from me. People used to beg them to open a store in a nearby town. Lidl opened one of their first stores in that nearby town. Now no one cares about Trader Joe's.

Lidl ran into problems and had to slow their expansion, but occasionally check their US website to see where they've gotten to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or