U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 10:53 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,688,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The nearest Trader Joe's is 35 miles from me. People used to beg them to open a store in a nearby town. Lidl opened one of their first stores in that nearby town. Now no one cares about Trader Joe's.

Lidl ran into problems and had to slow their expansion, but occasionally check their US website to see where they've gotten to.
Thanks for the info. I would be thrilled if they had one 35 miles from us. The expansion grocery store here does seem to be Aldi's. Everyone I know, that doesn't do most of their shopping at Sam's does it at Aldi's or a combination of both. Lidl hasn't come here yet and haven't heard any rumors about that changing TRader Jos are talking about Little Rock but that is a 4 hour drive. We are not that anxious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 03:50 PM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks for the info. I would be thrilled if they had one 35 miles from us. The expansion grocery store here does seem to be Aldi's. Everyone I know, that doesn't do most of their shopping at Sam's does it at Aldi's or a combination of both. Lidl hasn't come here yet and haven't heard any rumors about that changing TRader Jos are talking about Little Rock but that is a 4 hour drive. We are not that anxious
Trader Joe's (Aldi Nord) has been playing catchup in the middle of the country because Lidl is coming. They're lucky that the 1st manager of Lidl US did such a terrible job that the owner almost pulled the plug. In the mean time, Aldi US has been expanding and remodeling at breakneck speed.

Lidl stopped building and expanding for almost a year while they righted the ship. They're back to expansion mode and fine tuning, but at a slower pace than originally planned. Just check their website occasionally to see where they're going.

Aldi and Lidl are where I do most of my shopping for groceries.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:54 AM

39,726 posts, read 3,002,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
They recently discontinued/changed their English Muffins. I am distraught.

The change in the muffins only came here, on my last shopping trip. The new ones are definitely smaller, I am not sure on the taste yet. I will be complaining about this. They taste more white than whoe wheat now, but I loved the whole wheat ones.
I have one of their English muffins every morning for breakfast.I am also disraught.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:40 PM

15,208 posts, read 31,172,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
The change in the muffins only came here, on my last shopping trip. The new ones are definitely smaller, I am not sure on the taste yet. I will be complaining about this. They taste more white than whoe wheat now, but I loved the whole wheat ones.
I have one of their English muffins every morning for breakfast.I am also disraught.
They changed their sourdough bread and I don't like it now. But it's OK because the one from ALDI is better and way cheaper.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
They changed their sourdough bread and I don't like it now. But it's OK because the one from ALDI is better and way cheaper.
really? I have found the sour dough bread at TJs a little and i like Tjs better. I do buy the Aldi's as we dont have a TJs here and have to depend on friends to bring up stuff from TJs.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM

58,192 posts, read 41,018,063 times
Quote:
really? I have found the sour dough bread at TJs a little and i like Tjs better. I do buy the Aldi's as we dont have a TJs here and have to depend on friends to bring up stuff from TJs.

I was told by the manager of my local TJs that most of their baked goods are sourced from local bakeries when I questioned why we didn't get Ciabatta w/garlic here (NC) as a friend in NY did. That may have something to do with variations in some of their baked goods.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I was told by the manager of my local TJs that most of their baked goods are sourced from local bakeries when I questioned why we didn't get Ciabatta w/garlic here (NC) as a friend in NY did. That may have something to do with variations in some of their baked goods.
Well that is a new twist and interesting. I know the one thing we can all be sure of: TJs employees are very well informed, but this just seems strange.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM

15,208 posts, read 31,172,185 times
Quote:
nmnita - the sourdough that I love from ALDI is Specially Selected round boule. The square shape tastes different. The one at TJ went from the San Francisco sourdough to something that had Trader Joe name on it and I very much dislike it. So maybe it varies at different stores?

Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM

30,340 posts, read 16,835,091 times
One discontinued item at Trader Joe's that I really liked was honey butter potato chips. When they were no longer available, I was heartbroken.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 AM

58,192 posts, read 41,018,063 times
Quote:
Well that is a new twist and interesting. I know the one thing we can all be sure of: TJs employees are very well informed, but this just seems strange.

I took 'local' to mean the stores are supplied by regional bakeries rather than each store being on their own. I asked the local manager why we didn't get Ciabatta w/garlic when my friends in the north did and that was his answer. I agree the employees are well informed, I know a few at my local store and so far they've been very honest about their products and they seem to make an effort to have their workers actually try as many things as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or