Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 04:01 AM

27,037 posts, read 13,287,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the family yes, but 2 different brothers. I certainly know the history behind them more than Aldi's, both my following them on several websites and living so close the them as a child and as a young adult. I think you are getting a little technical comparing now to originally. But regardless, they are not the same store. All one has to do is shop a both to know that. Their products for the most part are very different. Aldi's is a discount grocery store and Trader Joes is a specialty store similar to Fresh Market
Trader Joes's just does what Aldi and Lidl do, they have their own labels and produce, rather than buying in well known brands and sell things cheaper as a result, and both Aldi groups and Lidl sell a good deal of fresh produce.

Why Trader Joe's is so cheap - Business Insider

The two Aldi's operate in different parts of Europe, along with Lidli and have been expanding in the US and globally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 01:45 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,537,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Trader Joes's just does what Aldi and Lidl do, they have their own labels and produce, rather than buying in well known brands and sell things cheaper as a result, and both Aldi groups and Lidl sell a good deal of fresh produce.

Why Trader Joe's is so cheap - Business Insider

The two Aldi's operate in different parts of Europe, along with Lidli and have been expanding in the US and globally.
If you look at Aldi Nord websites, sometimes you find items, including meat, on their sale flyers, that are labeled Trader Joe's. They're imported from the US.

Currently, Aldi Sued is on a giant expansion/remodeling spree in the US. They stated that their aim is to be the 3rd largest grocery chain in the US. At the onset, they had 1600 stores.

Trader Joe's has been expanding, but because of the family problems in Germany with Aldi Nord they've already lost some potential locations in the MidAtlantic to Lidl.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:08 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,349,608 times
Quote:
Trader Joes is actually Aldi, it's not called Aldi because, there are actually two different Aldi companies,

The two companies are Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud, or North and South, this is due to the fact that back in the 1960s, when owners Theo and Karl Albrecht couldn't agree on whether or not they were going to allow their stores to sell cigarettes, so they split the company in to two.

Aldi Sud owns the rights to the Aldi name in the US, so Aldi Nord uses the Trader Joes name.

Aldi - Wikipedia

There is also a third similar European chain called Lidl, and they are currently opening their first stores in the US.

Lidl - Wikipedia
Aside from Albert Heijn, Lidl and Aldi were our favorite shops in the Netherlands. We just went to our new Aldi in LA, for the first time hoping to see similar items...nope. Lidl was actually my favorite for quality and price, (Albert Heijn can be pricey) so I hope it isn't going to be as much of a dud as Aldi was. We found a few German items (like the Moser Roth chocolates) but most of the store is just unbranded locally sourced merchandise.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Aside from Albert Heijn, Lidl and Aldi were our favorite shops in the Netherlands. We just went to our new Aldi in LA, for the first time hoping to see similar items...nope. Lidl was actually my favorite for quality and price, (Albert Heijn can be pricey) so I hope it isn't going to be as much of a dud as Aldi was. We found a few German items (like the Moser Roth chocolates) but most of the store is just unbranded locally sourced merchandise.
Aldi US stocks mostly US foods. Some is put up by the big name brands with an Aldi label. Some is put up by the same places that produce store brand items for regular supermarket chains.

Some European items are brought in as weekly specials. The best weekly specials tend to come in from fall to spring.

Old 07-17-2019, 09:59 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,349,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Aldi US stocks mostly US foods. Some is put up by the big name brands with an Aldi label. Some is put up by the same places that produce store brand items for regular supermarket chains.

Some European items are brought in as weekly specials. The best weekly specials tend to come in from fall to spring.
Makes perfect sense - I'll keep that in mind! If I could transport a Dutch Aldi to Southern California I'd be tickled pink, but understandably this isn't possible without some form of teleportation. If I could just get some kaiser rolls from Bavaria, hoo lordy.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Makes perfect sense - I'll keep that in mind! If I could transport a Dutch Aldi to Southern California I'd be tickled pink, but understandably this isn't possible without some form of teleportation. If I could just get some kaiser rolls from Bavaria, hoo lordy.
My favorite pasta sauce shows up in the fall at Aldi. Look for pumpkin chipotle. Yeah, it sounds disgusting, but it isn't.

Come to think of it, I don't know if Aldi in the Netherlands is Aldi Nord or Aldi Sued.

At Christmastime Aldi, Trader Joe's, and Lidl import German stollen like there's no tomorrow.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:50 AM

27,037 posts, read 13,287,398 times
Quote:

ALDI Süd has shops all over the UK, as doies Lidl, however cross the channel in to France and it's mainly ALDI Nord.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:01 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,420,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

exactly, you can even almost tell what company actually supplied the product by looking at the labels; example: soups, most likely Campbell's.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
exactly, you can even almost tell what company actually supplied the product by looking at the labels; example: soups, most likely Campbell's.
There's the Campbells soups and the Progresso soups.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:

ALDI Süd has shops all over the UK, as doies Lidl, however cross the channel in to France and it's mainly ALDI Nord.
The US and Germany are the only countries with both Aldis. Strangely enough, I was in Aldi in Bitburg, in Germany, and it was an Aldi Sued. While I could be wrong, I believe that the US is the only country where the Aldis compete with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink